collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: I'm a nostalgic child of the 80s, and.... I ONLY WANTED ONE  (Read 1407 times)

Offline stacyrenee

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
I'm a nostalgic child of the 80s, and.... I ONLY WANTED ONE
« on: September 05, 2019, 11:58:30 PM »
    (I have no idea what, or how much people typically like to know and/or read.  I'm absolutely into networking in general (Pony friends that I don't feel silly with! I also think it would be incredible to see some familiar faces at conventions.), along with similar non-Pony related interests, some of which listed -- much, much -- later in the post. (I'm kind of a shut-in.)

Clearly, before I begin, you can see I'm very long-winded. :lookround: :facepalm: (I think it's the social isolation.)  J.K. Rowling and I often compete to see whom can write the least-lengthy short story. (ha)  So while based on everything I said above I'm going to include most of what was included in the suggested/recommended example post, I'll post what -- understandably -- is of most interest first. ;)
    _____

Hi.  I'm Stacy, and I have a problem spending too much time searching for, and collecting, G1 My Little Ponies.

The Details of My Collection
    • I've been (officially) collecting G1 Ponies for exactly 3 weeks -- since August 17.
    • As a child of the 80s, whom allowed (wanted) my parents (that gave, or granted most requests, of their child -- this was beyond damaging -- until said child moved across the country at 19) to begin selling off any and all unwanted items as soon as I outgrew, or no longer wanted them.  Therefore, by the time I hit my 20s I was left with some Barbies, board games, Cricket, Teddy Ruskin and friends, American Girls, Beanie Babies, Muffy Vanderbilt, and some Magic Nursery Dolls.  Ok... 98%, I couldn't care less, and 98% of what I wish I had?  Gone.

So, I set out on a mission to slowly collect one of some of the things I cared about the most:  a Pound Kitty, my favorite Popple, Bear, etc.  Of course this lead me down an incredible rabbit hole where I only found more and more: Purr-Tender! Keypers! You get the idea....

I'm a big fan of Blind Boxes (aside from being fun, I'm longtime Hello Kitty collector -- especially vintage), so when they released the Blind Boxes of the G1 Ponies, obviously I had to get one.  I thought this would satiate my need for an "original" Pony.  And it did... for awhile.

In August I found my holy grail, childhood Popple (Puffball) in amazing condition -- an earlier find of the small one left me thinking this would satisfy me (trying to conserve space)... nope!) -- and for an unbeatable price.  Perusing her auctions (bad habit), I almost fell out of her chair at the sight of the most incredible sight*: Tex:inlove:  A little searching between consignment shops told me this was meant to be based on condition, price, having all accessories, and most importantly being the single most perfect Pony for me as Texas became such an unexpectedly huge, unexplainably-magical piece of my heart four years ago.  Mission complete!(?)

*Of note, my recollection from childhood consists of Bouquet, Sea Horsies, Flutter Ponies, and a plush.
    • But then.  But then.  Though it was a hard pill to swallow, I say the following not seeking sympathy -- it was the last of several events that made me feel as thought maybe we weren't meant to go -- but because it's relevant falling down this dark hole.  Three weeks ago, only five hours before jetting off on a long-overdue (and much, much needed) vacation we were forced to cancel (for the second, and final, time).   Obviously it was beyond disappointing, but we were just thankful it wasn't for a family emergency.

pout. pout. pout.  (i'm sorry, this has become absolutely ridiculous)  I needed out. of. this. house., and suddenly remembered a huge flea market a friend had taken me to several years ago; as it's only open Fridays and about an hour away, I thought it a perfect time to take my husband; we could look for some records, Hello Kitty, 80s toys, etc.  I walked away with a record. One record.  We Googled, found a "vintage collectibles" story 30 minutes away, and... so began the addiction.

Buzzer!  Sea Shimmer with floatie!  ....Um, only the two types I wanted most.  Addicted. Two more stops that day nabbed me 8 more Ponies.
    • One day, 8 Ponies.
      Exactly three weeks later... 26.

HALP.  (I learned of this forum a week ago.  I swore I wasn't going to join.  Whoops.)
    _____
    Whew.

*tap* *tap*

Cliffnotes (for real.)
    • 36, for a few more months
    • I'm displaced in southwestern PA
    • I’m a full-time bird momma to five feathered toddlers. My parents signed me up for life 22 years when I was 14; thankfully for everyone, exotic birds became my passion.  :heart:
    • I am extremely passionate about parrot rescue and promoting advocacy.
    • I was in an accelerated BA/MS program for Counseling Psychology (3 years BA, 2 years MS)
    • With one semester left of graduate school left, I discovered that despite LOVING psychology and my clients, I had just accidentally stumbled upon my second-ever passion:  wedding photography.  Thus, 12 years ago I became a self-taught photographer.**

**however, that is (and is in an) incredibly messy, and confusing (state).  It's a very, very long story that I don't mind talking about, but if you think this is long... well, that's a topic for a J.K. Rowling competition.  ;)
    ______

:blink: :shocked: :blush: If you stuck in there... holy cow. WOW!  How?!  I commend you.  Also, apparently you are my long-lost twin, and I'm happy to feel a little less ridiculous.[/list]
    « Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 02:12:09 AM by stacyrenee »
    I like to think that I'm a pretty easy girl to make happy.
    Just give me some Sanrio, a few G1 MLP, or vintage Chanel, and I'm good to go! :shrug:
    you belong among the wildflowers (where you feel free) - t petty

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
    • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
      • View Profile
      • Things I make and Do
    Re: I'm a nostalgic child of the 80s, and.... I ONLY WANTED ONE
    « Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 01:18:45 PM »
    Hello and welcome to the arena!
    :heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • Trade Count: (+101)
    • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
      • View Profile
    « Reply #2 on: September 06, 2019, 01:22:19 PM »
    Welcome, I hope you can find all your ponies-  ebay is what sucked me in so long ago!

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
    • G3 Prototype Pony
      • View Profile
    « Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 12:45:40 AM »
    haha you have come over to the dark side, soon you will have a hundred ponies and be wondering how it is plastic toys can breed as they do?!?!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
    • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
      • View Profile
      • Things I make and Do
    « Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 04:52:06 AM »
    And how to put up shelves...
    :heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
    • Trade Count: (+222)
    • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • Ponies make me smile! <3
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 06:19:58 PM »
    Welcome to the arena! :) You will enjoy it here!

Offline Loa

• Queen of Sloths
    • Administrator
    • Trade Count: (+96)
    • Penguin Goddess Minion
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: September 14, 2019, 03:25:06 PM »
    Hi and welcome to the Arena!
    Have fun here, we're a nutty bunch! :D
    visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SquarePeg!
    My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline Spinky69er

• BBE Enthusiast Moderator
    • Trade Count: (+160)
    • MIB Rapunzel Pony
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: October 25, 2019, 01:45:40 AM »

Welcome to the Arena :party:

It starts with one.... then one shelf..... then one cupboard... :frolic:  Look forward to seeing you around.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal