collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New Dark Crystal, yes or no?  (Read 5068 times)

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
Re: New Dark Crystal, yes or no?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2019, 03:41:25 PM »
I really hope there’s a second season!

Also did anyone notice that Deet has two Dads? A really thoughtful addition for 2019 and they were a super cute family!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 09:40:45 AM by Noasar »

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2019, 05:53:32 PM »
I finished episode five.  How did Gurjin escape?  Did I miss something?  They left the castle without looking for Tavra?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2019, 03:22:11 AM »
Also did anyone notice that Deet has two Dad’s? A really thoughtful addition for 2019 and they were a super cute family!

Anyone not noticing mustn't have paid attention because they are shown very early on and referred to as "family", Deet talks about "my two fathers" and then by the end we see them reunited and she refers to them as fathers again.

I am personally very intrigued by the concept of "Maudra". They carefully made sure not to call them "queens" implying there is a king. All Gelfling leaders are female and there is no male counterpart required. Also, did they ever mention if the princesses had a father?

I think it's a nice change from the ever prominent "princess with daddy issues, mommy died in childbirth" trope. Especially since the UrSkeks are already all-male and Thra and the tree are coded male as well. Too many... youknowwhat on the dancefloor. It was only right they would bring in a bigger female presence.

The Gelfling are very feminine in design (which I learned was on purpose). They also seem to be a society where there is hardly any sexism - female leaders, homosexual parents, respected single mothers, both men and women can become warriors and get respected as such. Even the warrior dad is shown to have a soft, paternal side.

Makes it even more tragic this society perished according to the movie.

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2019, 05:03:19 AM »
@ Glitterball:
I, too, had the suspicion the
Spoiler
tiny shard
was the backdoor to a possible second season
Spoiler
(along with Deet just disappearing into the forest and holing herself up... and is she infected with the Darkening now?)

Also had to look up all the "canon Skeksis" because I kept mixing them up. One thing is for sure, the Chamberlain usually hates the Generals :lol:

re: Deet + other stuff:

Spoiler
is a love triangle is happening?

Rian has feelings for Deet - who shied away from his advances (too shy - or - because she saw the darkening appear in her veins earlier and did not want to expose him the effects/contagion of the Darkness to him?)

Princess Brea has feelings for Rian (did you see her drawing of them together in her journal?) or is this a prophecy that they are destined to pair-up and become ancestors to either Jen or Kira?

The blue-faced Dousan named Rek'yr who flew our heroes to the Circle of the Suns - he showed a bit of attention to one of the Princesses (but I have forgotten which one!) T
ETA: I think it was Brea! Ooh that makes things interesting...  :devious:

Deet and her visions from the Sanctuary Tree - I saw her with purple eyes and was she sat on the Skeksis throne? [ep 8, 45 minutes in, as she gets power from the tree] Is this a future scene where she tries to defeat the Darkening? Maybe this is the bit where she uses her powers to try to defeat the Darkening but needs access to the tiny crystal in the Skeksis staff, the crystal being the conduit between the Skeksis and Darkening?
Also - scenes of Jen healing the crystal and a mother Gelfling [Deet? Brea?] with a baby [Jen? Kira?] , fleeing the Garthim...

Next series, perhaps?  :cool:

ETA: bit about the Skeksis and tiny crystal is in Ep 7 20 minutes-in.

General> "You can control it? "

Emperor> "Not yet. On my sceptre I hold a crystal - much smaller than the Crystal of Truth but gifted with its own unique power. In time I will use this crystal to harness the might of the darkening for our greater glory.
Exposure to the Darkening is not without consequences. It destroys, corrupts my body as it does all of Thra. True power demands sacrifice. "

So - is this little crystal some other crystal or an actual part of the Crystal of Truth? From what the Emperor said, he hasn't explicitly said that it is from the COT. If it is not, then that sorts out the Shard as being the only piece missing. Hmm, where is this little crystal from?

« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 06:25:28 AM by glitterball »

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2019, 08:04:31 AM »
I'm trying to slow myself down and spread it out.  Finished episode four.  I'm unsure how I feel about Aughra's backstory.  She was my favorite character when I was a kid, and I always thought of her as a scientist type.  Now she is a
Spoiler
a Gaia-like goddess, a mother-earth type character?

Yes that threw me as well-  I seem to recall this concept as being from the graphic novels and even then thought it was quite a departure.  I think it is the only real thing (for me) that stands out as being inconsistent with the original movie.  Doesn't ruin the series for me though.

Anyway, I am enjoying the series.  Although it is competing (for me) with that steampunk-fairy series that also started on the same day (on Amazon prime).  I will be sad when they both end all too soon. Trying to only watch one episode a day...
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 08:06:10 AM by Galactica »

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2019, 09:47:40 AM »
Anyone not noticing mustn't have paid attention because they are shown very early on and referred to as "family", Deet talks about "my two fathers" and then by the end we see them reunited and she refers to them as fathers again

I didn’t literally mean ‘did people notice’ XD of course they did! I just thought it was a really nice addition, and like you say it showed how loving and liberal their society was - even more of a shame that it disappears and it makes them even more of a contrast to the Skeksis.

I really need to watch the film again, I haven’t watched it for years so I feel as though I need to get my head around how everything ties in...

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2019, 09:52:14 AM »
Anyone not noticing mustn't have paid attention because they are shown very early on and referred to as "family", Deet talks about "my two fathers" and then by the end we see them reunited and she refers to them as fathers again

I didn’t literally mean ‘did people notice’ XD of course they did! I just thought it was a really nice addition, and like you say it showed how loving and liberal their society was - even more of a shame that it disappears and it makes them even more of a contrast to the Skeksis.

I really need to watch the film again, I haven’t watched it for years so I feel as though I need to get my head around how everything ties in...

Actually I didn't notice- I guess I wasn't paying enough attention, I'm glad you pointed it out because it does make me happy   :)

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2019, 03:35:01 PM »
Actually I didn't notice- I guess I wasn't paying enough attention, I'm glad you pointed it out because it does make me happy   :)

A good excuse to re-watch it!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2019, 11:30:55 AM »

A good excuse to re-watch it!

I am rewatching it rn in German because I always miss out on some stuff and there are soooo many details, especially scenery and background stuff I simply didn't see watching it for the first time.

I urge anyone to watch the Making Of. They made damn near everything by hand. I wish I could have one of those Gelfling book props, so precious.

I just saw Funko released a few Pops and Brea is missing from the line-up :pout:

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2019, 12:52:44 PM »
I love this show! I never seen the movie, or knew about the original story (why???). This was all new to me, but it just really drew me in. It had this really old times thouch about it that I love! Reminds me of my childhood :heart:
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline Gator

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2019, 03:52:44 PM »
I'm on episode 8.  How come when...

Spoiler
the hunter and the archer died, the archer didn't fade away like the mystics in the movie when their counterparts died?

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2019, 02:08:43 AM »
I'm on episode 8.  How come when...

Spoiler
the hunter and the archer died, the archer didn't fade away like the mystics in the movie when their counterparts died?

because...

all will be sensationally revealed in ep 10,

I wondered this too, I don't want to spoil it for you, just keep watching!  :cool:

also...
Spoiler
there is a scene at the very start of the series where a certain discussion is made by The Archer with someone about sacrifice... but that's all I'll say for now!
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 02:11:03 AM by glitterball »

Offline Gator

• G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2019, 06:59:56 AM »
Ok, I'm done now.  I tried ssooooo hard to drag it out and make it last. I lasted eight days.  So now what am I going to do for a year until next season?

I will add
Spoiler
so glad the Collector died.  No disrespect to Nora Lum, but I really disliked the voice acting on this character.

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2019, 07:18:17 AM »
Ok, I'm done now.  I tried ssooooo hard to drag it out and make it last. I lasted eight days.  So now what am I going to do for a year until next season?

I will add
Spoiler
so glad the Collector died.  No disrespect to Nora Lum, but I really disliked the voice acting on this character.

I agree
Spoiler
at first I thought it was the voice actor for Roz the slug-lady from Monsters Inc! Yes,I found  that voice was annoying too.

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2019, 02:41:22 PM »
I have avoided reading all the hidden spoilers, since hubby and I just finished watching episode 7 last night.

I am loving it.

But it took time for me to get fully absorbed. I have outright really liked Aughra and the Skesis from the first minute (the skesis are so bloody hilarious and delightfully nefarious in equal measure!), but some aspects of the gelfings took me a while to adjust to. Mostly because of the jokey, corny (and at times, stilted) dialogue in places which honestly, just made me cringe big time. I felt like a lot of the humour (also with regards to some of the podling antics) was a bit overdone.

But having said that, by about episode three I was getting right into the (really good) character development and a lot of that initial awkwardness has fortunately settled. I have found it quite moving in places
Spoiler
my gosh, that scene where they sing in that circle re the deaths of the Au Maudra and Rhian's father!!  :cry: 
and (not being familiar with the prequel source material) am finding the storyline thus far so clever and interesting.

So yeah, so far so wonderful. This is easily the most creative and imaginative show I've watched in a long time. can't wait to watch the remaining episodes
Spoiler
even though I know it ultimately can't end well!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal