collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: New Dark Crystal, yes or no?  (Read 5067 times)

Offline Thimble

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
New Dark Crystal, yes or no?
« on: August 30, 2019, 08:58:54 AM »
Has anyone watched yet? What's your vote, is it worth the time, yes/no?

Speaking as a massive fan of the original, I need input, lol.
(Spoiler free plz.) :)

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
Re: New Dark Crystal, yes or no?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 09:47:02 AM »
Ooh, sooo looking forward to this, but will watch it when my kid is back at school as it freaks her out a little bit!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 09:38:09 PM »
Well, I'm loving the trailers so far, they give me goosebumps.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 07:35:20 AM »
So far I am really enjoying it!  I love the Jim Henson Creature Workshop, watching the puppets is much more satisfying than straight-up CGI animation.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 11:14:23 AM »
It's based on the Dark Crystal novels (the prequels) which I haven't read. So I can't tell you how close they stick to these books. However, I am greatly enjoying the series. It is much bigger than the movie. Lots of characters, intrigue and three protagonists instead of one.
There is quite a lot of CG in it but the puppets still stand out and are lovingly crafted and performed. Check it out if you love the old movie, imo.

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 11:49:54 AM »
I’m watching it now. I love it! Beautifully done.

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 10:57:37 PM »
I haven't had a chance to sit down and watch yet, but I'm SO excited! I've set aside some time next week. Practical effects and puppetry are some of my favorite things of all time, and I'm loving that they didn't just go with some cheap-looking CGI like a lot of sequels/remakes these days. (Honestly do NOT watch the Netflix version of Watership Down because it suuucks, and not just because of the horrid animation but it didn't help...  :pout: )

It's based on the Dark Crystal novels (the prequels) which I haven't read. So I can't tell you how close they stick to these books. However, I am greatly enjoying the series.

The author of those books is my childhood friend! ^.^ We haven't spoken in many years, but I'm super glad he got to be part of something so, so cool. (Also mega-jealous because we both wanted to be writers since we were kids, and he's got published before I did. Sigh. But I'm not giving up on my dream!)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 11:28:12 PM by Dragonflitter »
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2019, 05:37:08 AM »
I haven't had a chance to sit down and watch yet, but I'm SO excited! I've set aside some time next week. Practical effects and puppetry are some of my favorite things of all time, and I'm loving that they didn't just go with some cheap-looking CGI like a lot of sequels/remakes these days. (Honestly do NOT watch the Netflix version of Watership Down because it suuucks, and not just because of the horrid animation but it didn't help...  :pout: )

It's based on the Dark Crystal novels (the prequels) which I haven't read. So I can't tell you how close they stick to these books. However, I am greatly enjoying the series.

The author of those books is my childhood friend! ^.^ We haven't spoken in many years, but I'm super glad he got to be part of something so, so cool.

Oh that's amazing. Never heard of him before. I guess TDC was something only niche groups knew about as a fandom.
Like not even mainstream nerds, you'd have to be into puppetry or this very particular type of fantasy movie.
TDC always sort of received new content in form of books once in a while, but a high budget Netflix show just brought it to an entirely new audience and generation. People are comparing it to Lord of the Rings and Game of Thrones.
I never thought something only I knew about as a kid would come back in such a bombastic way.

I recommend watching the Making Of special as well. It's also on Netflix. There is a lot of talk about how it was so important that the creators were fans of the original movie and Henson's daughter made sure her father's style was respected.

I finished it yesterday night (I binged through it like no tomorrow because it was so engaging) and while it really moved me I do NOT want a second season.

We all know what will happen to the Gelfling -_- That's the downside to prequels.

Anyway, can we make this a discussion thread? I have so many feelings.

For instance, how did some of you respond to the violence and gore? There is quite a lot of on-screen death in this show.

I damn near cried when...
!!!
MASSIVE SPOILER for character death
!!!
Spoiler
...the All-Maudra died and that stupid, spiteful crown princess sided against her and burned her corpse. That was just all-around cruel and sad to see.
I was not prepared for that happening for some reason. I was prepared for many deaths because of the movie's mythology but not this kind of backstabbing from the Gelfling side.

Also, probably a popular opinion but the Skeksis are hilarious. You want to hate them but they are so entertaining to watch and fantastically performed.
Spoiler
Especially the Heretic. Omg, I love this character :lol:

Offline Ribbs

• Trade Count: (+54)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • My music
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2019, 09:39:24 AM »
7 episodes in and absolutely loving it!

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2019, 01:29:24 PM »
Had a binge today - am at start of ep 7!

I am SO PLEASED that the voices of Aughra + Chamberlain are spot-on like in the movie  (original voice actors passed away a few years ago).

And I chuckled at the end of ep 6 when...
Spoiler
a certain, naughty princess had a goth make-over!  :lol: check out the eyeshadow, deep red lips and black accessories!!

Aughra is just an awesome character, too.

Right, looking forward to more tomorrow!  :cool:

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2019, 02:19:49 PM »
And I chuckled at the end of ep 6 when...
Spoiler
a certain, naughty princess had a goth make-over!  :lol: check out the eyeshadow, deep red lips and black accessories!!

Spoiler
She was so extreme in her reverence for the Skeksis she even adopted their questionable fashionsense.
Speaking of eyeshadow, Rian's blue eyeshadow and highlights are on point! Warrior trendsetter.

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2019, 02:24:29 PM »
I'm trying to slow myself down and spread it out.  Finished episode four.  I'm unsure how I feel about Aughra's backstory.  She was my favorite character when I was a kid, and I always thought of her as a scientist type.  Now she is a
Spoiler
a Gaia-like goddess, a mother-earth type character?

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2019, 02:31:29 PM »
@ Gator:
Spoiler
I got strong shaman/druid vibes from her.  Someone who can communicate with the gods, not a goddess herself.
She is more an explorer than a scientist, I guess? I was a bit surprised the Skeksis built the machine for her. Either I forgot that part or it wasn't said in the movie who built it (?)

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2019, 03:37:14 AM »
Just finished watching them all  :satisfied:

Just a wee question
Spoiler
So they found the Shard that will one day fix the crystal to make it whole

HOWEVER
doesn't the Emperor have a tiny piece of crystal in his staff that he uses to capture some of the energy of the Darkening? Doesn't that little piece need to be reunited with the big crystal to help make it whole, too?

Or am I missing something? Plot hole?  :shrug:

...or will they make another feature that continues the story further?

Oh, and...
Spoiler
the demise of the General - um, wasn't he in the movie and succeeded the Emperor as the new leader? Or am I getting my Skeksis mixed up?

Ah, looked at Wiki, Garthim Master is in the movie, not the General.  :pout:
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 06:19:30 AM by glitterball »

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2019, 08:36:59 AM »
@ Glitterball:
I, too, had the suspicion the
Spoiler
tiny shard
was the backdoor to a possible second season
Spoiler
(along with Deet just disappearing into the forest and holing herself up... and is she infected with the Darkening now?)

Also had to look up all the "canon Skeksis" because I kept mixing them up. One thing is for sure, the Chamberlain usually hates the Generals :lol:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal