Pony Talk > Off Topic

Do you shut down your PC or laptop, or leave it on?

(1/7) > >>

BlackCurtains:
Just something I'm curious about. I tried to cover every scenario I could think of.

As for me, I always shut down when I'm finished. If I think I'll be using it again later in the day, I use 'sleep' mode. I hardly ever leave my PC on for over 24 hours (though sometimes I have marathon gaming sessions). My laptop is a MacBook Pro and I always shut it down. Now, my tablet, I use sleep mode for, and it is never turned off all the way unless an update calls for it. Same with my 3DS.

I know some people who never shut down their computers, or leave them on and running for weeks at a time. I can kinda see the point depending on how you use it. Like if you are doing a lot of rendering/editing/recording/uploading, you'd need to leave it on for a long time, days. My PC is primary for browsing the interweb and playing games so it doesn't need to be on all the time. Plus, it would make my bedroom way too hot if it ran constantly :lol:

Some people think that shutting down and restarting a computer puts more stress on it or is bad for it somehow, but as far as everything I've read about the subject, that isn't true. Some processes that run 100% of the time should be restarted every once in a while at least.

tailrustedtealeaf:
My one laptop is such a hassle to turn back on that I just leave it running. Sometimes it decides to shut itself off (if I'm playing a game... Annoying) and I'll turn it back on the next day, but I do avoid it if I can.
My other laptop doesn't have this problem, but it's easier to just have it in sleep mode.

TheBeatlesPkmnFan42:
I have a laptop which I use when I sit on my bed (with a tray underneath). I turn it off every time I'm done using it.

AvianWing:
I mostly use 'sleep' mode on my PC and laptop when I won't be using it for a time. Usually this is so I can have it back up and running in a quickie if I need it for something. I'd also never frequently turn a PC off if it didn't have a solid state drive.

That being said it is still good to shut down/restart a PC every now and then if you do leave it on or in sleep most of the time. This helps clear the cache and restart any background processes that might be acting out of wack without you knowing.

As far as it putting stress on a computer by turning it off/on, this was the case with much earlier computers, where frequently turning the components on and off could wear them out, but modern computer parts are robust enough to where that isn't an issue anymore.

Mewtwofan1:
     I usually log off then turn off my pc, and it’s set to automatically shut off after half an hour of being logged out and no programs running if I forget. Though, I will let it run through the night if I need to. 3d rendering takes time, and my computer isn’t the fastest at it. But yeah, I try to turn it off as often as I can.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version