collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Some nirvana-related questions for G1 database  (Read 2582 times)

Offline Ossie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
    • MLP Merch
Some nirvana-related questions for G1 database
« on: April 16, 2020, 12:52:42 PM »
Hey all,

While re-working our G1 database I came across some (for me) unanswered questions of which I hope anyone here knows the answers. I've just compiled them here in this thread so that I won't spam the board with separate posts :lol:

Thanks in advance for reading and thinking along ^^

French manufacturer
While reading about French ponies, I see that no place explicitly mentions a manufacturer or distributor. The spotlight post here mentions the factory being located in 'Le Blanc Mesnil', but no company. Was it just a local Hasbro-owned factory, or is anyone aware of another company involved in their production?

Release year of Greek ponies
Does anyone know/remember during which years the Greek ponies were available? Especially the sitting/Easter ponies.

South African OOAK
From what I understand the SA Firefly, Parasol and Powder were considered OOAK. Is that still true or have more been found over the years?

Argentinian CP Flutterbye & Songster
Is it known whether legitimate CP Flutterbye & Songster ponies were ever made? Aside from the bootlegs and mash-ups from after the factory closure.

NC "Spain" Sundance
I know this is a long-running topic, but is there any NC variant of Sundance that was released outside the UK?

Peru Baby Moondancer
This baby is mentioned on the wiki, and I've seen some forum posts online from people who wish to own her, but other than that I can find 0 pictures. Is anyone aware of her existence?

Thai Mountain Boys
I have barely any knowledge of the Thai Mountain Boys, but I know they are extremely rare. Was ever found out how these were marketed? Are they considered prototypes or have these actually been for sale anywhere (with just a handful of survivors)?

Thai manufacturer
Although I read that the Thai babies aren't allowed on the board here, hope I can ask this question in light of the Mountain Boys: were these made by a Hasbro factory in Thailand, or was it outsourced/licensed to another company?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

MLP Merch Blog | MLP Merch Databases

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Trade Count: (+452)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
    • Etsy ~ Shadow on the Moon
Re: Some nirvana-related questions for G1 database
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2020, 06:27:39 AM »
French manufacturer
While reading about French ponies, I see that no place explicitly mentions a manufacturer or distributor. The spotlight post here mentions the factory being located in 'Le Blanc Mesnil', but no company. Was it just a local Hasbro-owned factory, or is anyone aware of another company involved in their production?

I will have a look at my MOC French ponies and see what it says on the cards. I do not think they were not made by a Hasbro owned factory though. Hasbro sold the licence to produce My Little Pony to various small, local toy manufacturers/businesses located all over the world.

Argentinian CP Flutterbye & Songster
Is it known whether legitimate CP Flutterbye & Songster ponies were ever made? Aside from the bootlegs and mash-ups from after the factory closure.

I don't think so  :huh: Here is some information on the white trotting pose ponies that crop up a lot

http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,382493.msg1589880.html#msg1589880

There was also a time back in the early 2000's when there were a lot of "repaired hair" Argentina ponies being sold on eBay.

South African OOAK
From what I understand the SA Firefly, Parasol and Powder were considered OOAK. Is that still true or have more been found over the years?

From what I can remember two Parasol's have been found now :) There are two Firefly's as well, but one has a green head. Powder may still be OOAK, I have not kept track

NC "Spain" Sundance
I know this is a long-running topic, but is there any NC variant of Sundance that was released outside the UK?

NC Sundance was standard release throughout Europe, she is NOT a UK exclusive, even thought it appears that only version of Sundance to be sold within the UK is NC Sundance :bigups:

Peru Baby Moondancer
This baby is mentioned on the wiki, and I've seen some forum posts online from people who wish to own her, but other than that I can find 0 pictures. Is anyone aware of her existence?

I am pretty sure this is a myth that popped up a looooong time ago when a Mexican Baby Moondancer got mis-identified.

Thai Mountain Boys
I have barely any knowledge of the Thai Mountain Boys, but I know they are extremely rare. Was ever found out how these were marketed? Are they considered prototypes or have these actually been for sale anywhere (with just a handful of survivors)?

They are NOT prototypes, too many have been found for them to be a prototype, prototypes tend to be OOAK. So far the community has no knowledge of where they were marketed. A number have been found in the UK on eBay or at car boots.

Thai manufacturer
Although I read that the Thai babies aren't allowed on the board here, hope I can ask this question in light of the Mountain Boys: were these made by a Hasbro factory in Thailand, or was it outsourced/licensed to another company?

It might be best to ask in the corral about the Fancy Pants Babies as the knowledge will be there. Looking at boxed ponies will give you a clue as to where they were made and who distributed them

http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/1989_fancypantsbabies.htm

I hope this helps.

Love pkw xxx
RedBubble Etsy Instagram Facebook

Get 10% off your order from my Etsy shop with the code MLPARENA10

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 01:30:41 PM »
If you are talking about the prototype SA Parasol then, yes, a complete Parasol has been found in South Africa. Not by me, most unfortunately, but I do know the person who found her.

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2020, 06:21:42 AM »
If you are talking about the prototype SA Parasol then, yes, a complete Parasol has been found in South Africa. Not by me, most unfortunately, but I do know the person who found her.

That is what I thought as well, one half finished and one complete with eyes and hair :bigups:

Love pkw xxx

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2020, 09:32:56 AM »
On Sundance - there's good evidence to suggest she may not be Spanish, either. Her box says "Made in China", and Nella has actually found one with China on the hooves. This is still all speculation, though - so it's probably better to just refer to her as NC Sundance. As PKW says, she's regulation issue across Europe, including the UK.

Where there are variations, it seems to be in the accessories. The UK had her over 2 years with different outfits from the US release outfit, which some European countries adopted. But you probably don't need it to be that specific. :) In the UK she was 1986 and 1987. I think she may be on the Italian insert for 1987, and I know that Leikin and some other people, Katrine possibly, have data for Sweden and Norway about dates. But NC Sundance seems to be in the 1986-7 range (a bit later than the HK version sold in the US).

I am really glad to see you asking such specific questions, it makes me feel like this database might finally reach its full potential.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2020, 09:36:22 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ossie

• View Profile
    • MLP Merch
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2020, 09:45:08 AM »
Thanks all, really helpful ^^

@NightGliderSA, would that make Parasol #3 (regardless of variations), or is that one of the ponies pkw refers to? Not that it matters for the answer, but just curious :)
(For now I'll consider Poweder to remain OOAK)

Regarding the manufacturers, maybe some more people might read this post and know anything about it. And I'll open a post on the corral for the thai babies too (assume that's not considerd double posting?)

Offline pinkkittywinks

• Princess Kittywinks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2020, 06:25:13 AM »
Asking about the Thai babies in the corral wouldn't be seen as double posting :bigups:

I haven't been able to dig my MOC French ponies out yet....but I have this picture of the back of my French duel language carded Starshine (starshine is marked Made in France)

"Made in France for Unica - Kortrijk/Heule/Belgium Otto Simon - Alemelo/Holland EN (c) Hasbro Industries Inc."

So my French Starshine was destined to be sold Belgium and Holland from the looks of it.

Love pkw xxx
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 06:30:36 AM by pinkkittywinks »

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2020, 10:53:12 AM »
All I heard was that there are only two Thai fireball's
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline Leikin

• Trade Count: (+23)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 01:22:34 PM »
In the UK she was 1986 and 1987. I think she may be on the Italian insert for 1987, and I know that Leikin and some other people, Katrine possibly, have data for Sweden and Norway about dates. But NC Sundance seems to be in the 1986-7 range (a bit later than the HK version sold in the US).

I'm really no expert on Megan and Sundance (havent really cared for them before actually) But since you mention me, I feel I need to contribute anyway *lol*

She was sold here in the US styled box, but with Swedish text (actually, the only packaging I have seen with swedish text on it, otherwise, everything was in english) and with the all pink bridle. (I'm not sure which one was first released in US, the pink or green leafed bridle version)

I do think the NC version is the only one sold here, but cannot say for sure (And unfortunately I'm not the owner of said MIB so I cannot say if the box says anything on where she was made).
She is shown MIB in dealer catalogues in spring 1987 (but does not appear in the 1986 catalogue) and loose in the fall catalogue, suggesting she was introduced during spring that year, and continued through the fall.  She has no appearence in fall 1988 catalogue, however, I'm missing the spring catalogue for that year, so cannot say if she is present there or not. But at least she would have been available during 1987 here.
Wanted: MOC Geman baby Lemon Drop, MIB baby Lemon Drop with purple stroller, MOC Rainbow Confetti, MOC Euro(NSS) Buttons, ,  and UK carded rainbow ponies.
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,391446.0.html
Follow me and my Collection at https://www.instagram.com/leikinit/

Offline Ossie

• View Profile
    • MLP Merch
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2020, 01:10:56 AM »
"Made in France for Unica - Kortrijk/Heule/Belgium Otto Simon - Alemelo/Holland EN (c) Hasbro Industries Inc."

So my French Starshine was destined to be sold Belgium and Holland from the looks of it.

Love pkw xxx

Yeah, from what I've seen so far it's pretty unique that the local wholesaler is mentioned on the packaging of non-imports (i.e. no sticker put on by the importer).
Fun fact: Otto Simon is still an active toy wholesaler here in The Netherlands, who's also distributing G4 ponies.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2020, 03:25:37 AM »
French manufacturer

Thai manufacturer

It might be best to ask in the corral about the Fancy Pants Babies as the knowledge will be there. Looking at boxed ponies will give you a clue as to where they were made and who distributed them

http://www.etherella.com/scrapbook2/1989_fancypantsbabies.htm

I hope this helps.

Love pkw xxx

That is so curious! I didn't know about this.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline NightGliderSA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2020, 12:31:36 PM »
I'm pretty sure PKW and I are talking about the same pony, so there are two that we know of: one unfinished prototype and one complete pony.

Offline Stormy31685

• Trade Count: (+397)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2020, 07:07:39 PM »
"South African OOAK
From what I understand the SA Firefly, Parasol and Powder were considered OOAK. Is that still true or have more been found over the years?"

I have seen at least one complete Parasol and own the one complete Firefly from South Africa.

Unless there is a 3rd Parasol, I would still consider those two OOAK for the moment, given that the other Firefly has a green head and the other Parasol was not complete.  They could also be unfinished samples.

I don't recall seeing another Powder.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal