collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Removing glued heads... thoughts?  (Read 1047 times)

Offline BabyMoon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bratz Pony
  • hoarding plastic horses as a hobby
    • View Profile
Removing glued heads... thoughts?
« on: August 27, 2019, 08:50:24 AM »
I have a couple G1 ponies (haven't collected a ton of them) with tail rust and probably other nasty stuff inside them, but their heads are glued in place! :yikes: Hoping to see if more seasoned collectors have any thoughts on removing glued G1 heads since I'm still pretty new at all this

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Removing glued heads... thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 08:59:58 AM »
You can try using a blow dryer to heat the glue a bit and it might give if you pull gently on it. 

Offline milkywaymochi

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sweet Kisses Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 09:07:40 AM »
Best way to soften their glue is to give them a hot oxyclean bath (note that hot water is not safe to use on so soft ponies for this exact reason) and use the tip of a knife to pry the neck and body apart. (being careful not to slice the actual plastic) Then, with some wriggling and pulling, the connector part of the neck should come out of the body.

If not, you can try a hairdryer to soften really stubborn glue. With patience, most heads will come off, but you may occasionally find a head where the neck connector has started physically fusing with the body plastic. I had this happen with my Posey. In that situation, all you can really do is cut straight through the plastic connector and after super glue the pony back together.

The my little pony restoration project website has some great info and pictures if you need any more help with fixing ponies. Good luck!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 09:09:18 AM by milkywaymochi »

Offline RoseNoire

• Scribbles Pony
  • pony count : 243
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 09:23:05 AM »
I remove heads when necessary. Tail rust and mold is an absolute necessity to get rid of. Just keep in mind that patience is key. If you're getting impatient during the process, you have to take a break. It's okay to do so. Take your time or else the result will be full of mistakes (cuts, tears,...). Keep your plastic/glue warm and work slowly with your tool.
I usually use a blunt metal nail care tool or an x-acto knife in absolute necessity but with double care and patience.  Sharp tools are a last resort to me, not an "easier way to get the job done because I don't have the time".  You need to have the time to do it or else you won't like the result, trust me.

I'd say patience is the key to every restoration process. (Unfrizzing hair, un-rust insides, So-Soft spa day,...)

After looking for it, it seems that the metal nail care tool is a steel cuticle pusher. I use the pointy end. Anything that resembles that thing and without being too sharp should be good to use. ^^

Picture of tool
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Hope that helps, have a nice day. Happy collecting. ^^

Rose
Rusty/frizzy pony restoration tutorial
Drink'n'wet pony restoration tutorial
G3 Twist and Style petal parlor thorough cleaning
My collection | My drawings
-> Made by Witchvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
-> Made by Starrynights

Offline BabyMoon

• Bratz Pony
  • hoarding plastic horses as a hobby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 06:02:36 PM »
thank you all for the tips and thoughts :) luckily i've got a lot of patience and knowing that it's a necessity to clean mold and things aids my confidence. i'll hop on the restoration of these ponies later this week!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal