collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Season 9 Finale on Dutch Streaming Site  (Read 15550 times)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Season 9 Finale on Dutch Streaming Site
« Reply #150 on: September 09, 2019, 12:59:43 PM »
Spoiler
I'd love a pony of Luster because her colours are awesome, but that would mean Hasbro... making toys of a pony... that isn't Pinkie or Twilight? Yeah, not happening. Maybe we can at least get a proper Celestia-size Princess Twilight now?

Spoiler
Thee are a few ponies with similar color schemes at least. I was thinking she looked a lot like Honey Rays or Cherry Berry.

As far as design goes I think the kids looked really cute. The combined cutiemarks were fun, like the cheesecake ones for Pinkie/Cheese's kids or Luster Dawn's being a sun that glimmers in the water.

I guess what bothers me a little about Twilightia is how she didn't get her own unique model while all the other Princesses had one (and she used to have one too). Even the kirin leader was more modified than Twilightia who is basically just a recolor with a new hairstyle.

Spoiler
I also found it weird how Twilight got so big so fast. Like, isn't Luna thousands of years older than her? Why is she still much smaller than Twilight appeared?

I honestly think Twilight would've looked less jarring with Luna's model, as well. But maybe her looking like Celestia was supposed to be more symbolic.

This!  Couldn't they have made a new one? Not a recolor? Ah well.

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #151 on: September 09, 2019, 01:05:57 PM »
Dragonflitter, "ranting and complaining to each other about how they would have done it better, like people in an old folks home" not only was that rude it is ageist.

Personally I enjoy here on the Arena people can express critique on G4, whereas in lots of G4 groups it seems like they really gloss over the bad things of FiM

I have not enjoyed FiM for several years sadly. The writing was just not that good, too busy adding in things for bronies, damaging friendship "lessons" and a lack of coherent characterization and world building/plot. I'm glad MLP is still going strong, just with so many high quality kids shows nowadays I want to see it reach those levels.

Also one thing I've never liked in any kind of media is pairing characters up just for the sake of having couples/wrapping things up. Especially characters that didn't express romantic interests beforehand.

I was huge huge huge into FiM when it first came out, it was one of my major fandoms. Not just MLP, but FiM itself. I can't say the same about it nowadays. I haven't really watched since season 5. I've watched every premiere/finale and a couple other select episodes but other than that... not really. I really wanted to watch season 9 the whole way through the the synopses were so boring and I heard no one say anything good about them.

I was just thinking earlier about the comics and novels that were released, if those were released back in 2011 I would've eaten them up but now I could care less... I'm so burnt out on these characters and this world.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: September 09, 2019, 01:26:29 PM »
It's hard to talk about the things you love when you're surrounded by people who just complain about it all the time. I felt on top of the world watching the finale of FiM, but coming here I just feel like a damp, clammy cloud covered me and took away the excitement I felt. I'm just going to save my write-up about all the amazing things in this finale and take it somewhere else.

:hug:

While people are of course allowed to and should criticize things, I understand how seeing an overwhelming negativity towards something you like can discourage you from participating in any discussion about it. (Flashbacks to G2 discussion in the late '90s  :biggrin:) Still, I'd guess most people talking about FIM here probably enjoy aspects of it, or they wouldn't have stuck with it all the way to the end. It seems to be human nature to focus on the parts you didn't like or how you think it could've been done better.

I think if you have positive things to say you you should definitely share them to weigh up the negativity. Certainly FIM had a lot of good parts (otherwise it wouldn't have lasted 9 seasons) that should also be highlighted.  :)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #153 on: September 09, 2019, 01:27:28 PM »
I critique out of love. The show hasn't been the same for me since season 4.
Also as far as shipping goes I'm just picky.  :P
I'd love to hear what you loved about the finale, I loved a lot of it too, and I'm sure if I were a person watching in the future just binging the episodes it would please me just fine. I'm...spoiled from fancontent honestly.

Sig by Starscout <3

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: September 09, 2019, 01:31:22 PM »
Dragonflitter - honestly I thought we were all being calm and not overly "negative"? We're all allowed to have our own opinions after all, we can't all like the same things :p But yeah I didn't think there was all that much complaining on here...

I wonder if part of it is that the super-invested FiM fans that would react the way you want are either a) not members here or b) waiting for the episodes to air officially?

Lilja has a good point too - When you like something, there's only so much you can say about it past "that part was awesome!". But if there's something you thought "hm, that could've been better" about, you can usually find more to say about that, if that makes sense? That could be what's going on here.

And shipping is always a contentious subject, of course x)

Anyway, you should post what you wanted to post anyway, be the change you want to see! ;)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: September 09, 2019, 07:07:31 PM »
People only care about ranting and complaining to each other about how they would have done it better, like people in an old folks home.

Well then just call me Granny Smith :lol:

Post Merge: September 09, 2019, 07:11:49 PM

Still, I'd guess most people talking about FIM here probably enjoy aspects of it, or they wouldn't have stuck with it all the way to the end.

I watched all these episodes multiple times just to complain about them. Isn't that how it works? (Also bought the FiM brushables so I could hatewatch them in realtime) ;)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 07:11:49 PM by Zapper »

Offline Lilja

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: September 10, 2019, 09:20:38 AM »
I watched all these episodes multiple times just to complain about them. Isn't that how it works? (Also bought the FiM brushables so I could hatewatch them in realtime) ;)

I totally get that! I'm very prone to pointing out flaws in shows and movies I like, and make fun of them. It seems fine to me, since I feel it's obvious that I like and am invested in what I'm talking about. But sometimes people think I'm just bashing what they like, and take offense. I don't think there was anything wrong with anyone's comments in this thread individually, but taken as a whole it might come off as overly negative to some, I dunno. It's important to keep in mind that we all see things from different perspectives. :)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: September 10, 2019, 11:38:45 AM »

I totally get that! I'm very prone to pointing out flaws in shows and movies I like, and make fun of them. It seems fine to me, since I feel it's obvious that I like and am invested in what I'm talking about. But sometimes people think I'm just bashing what they like, and take offense. I don't think there was anything wrong with anyone's comments in this thread individually, but taken as a whole it might come off as overly negative to some, I dunno. It's important to keep in mind that we all see things from different perspectives. :)

I was being ironic in case it didn't quite translate into text. I enjoy watching FiM and I often watch an older episode before going to sleep as a way to calm down.

I think this thread is overall more negative than positive but we are all MLP fans in the end. If we can't talk about what we find iffy or negative in MLP -that we love - who can?

Also, I don't see how anyone in this thread tried to put down what others enjoyed. There are MLP communities out there where any differing opinion is met with threats. The Arena is a place were I can voice my concerns and crack my jokes without people trying to find out where I live to hunt me down :lookround:
So that's why I am often ranting about FiM in here.

Offline Lilja

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: September 10, 2019, 12:24:42 PM »
Quote from: Zapper
I was being ironic in case it didn't quite translate into text.

It came across fine, and everything you say makes perfect sense. It's just me trying to walk the line of being snarky about things but also making sure this place is welcoming to all types of MLP fans. Since at least one person felt discouraged to post their positive response to the episode due to all the negativity, I worried a bit about contributing to that.

But having clarified this, I hope people with a more positive reaction feel more encouraged to talk about what they liked too.  :)

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: September 10, 2019, 06:37:48 PM »
Spoiler
I think what really irks me about the Grogar twist is that I've been liking him.  I even told someone on this forum who was tepid about him that things were going well with them.  Then they pull this twist and it all comes crashing down.  It feel like those twists done by writers who want to believe they're the smartest person in the room.  "You think this is the real Grogar?  Surprise!  It was really Discord!"  After watching Game of Thrones go down in flames, I can't wait for their decade to be behind us.  Hopefully we will get back to smart writing and not smart with a vulgar addition writing.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 12, 2019, 10:51:16 AM »
Wait

I just realized something

Spoiler
Since Grogar was Discord all along...

Discord was literally just playing Goat Simulator this entire season

Post Merge: September 12, 2019, 10:58:33 AM

It's hard to talk about the things you love when you're surrounded by people who just complain about it all the time. I felt on top of the world watching the finale of FiM, but coming here I just feel like a damp, clammy cloud covered me and took away the excitement I felt. I'm just going to save my write-up about all the amazing things in this finale and take it somewhere else.

:hug:

While people are of course allowed to and should criticize things, I understand how seeing an overwhelming negativity towards something you like can discourage you from participating in any discussion about it. (Flashbacks to G2 discussion in the late '90s  :biggrin:) Still, I'd guess most people talking about FIM here probably enjoy aspects of it, or they wouldn't have stuck with it all the way to the end. It seems to be human nature to focus on the parts you didn't like or how you think it could've been done better.

I think if you have positive things to say you you should definitely share them to weigh up the negativity. Certainly FIM had a lot of good parts (otherwise it wouldn't have lasted 9 seasons) that should also be highlighted.  :)

Honestly, for several seasons I had to just quit reading the threads on here about FiM episodes. They brought me down too much and ruined my enjoyment of the show. Not blaming anyone, that's a personal problem based on insecurity and assuming everyone else knows better than me, and thankfully I seem to have at least in part moved past it. So I get what you mean, but ultimately I'd say that if this thread makes you unhappy, you should probably stop checking it and instead find a more positive one. I mainly just post my opinions and leave at this point - I know most people aren't gonna feel as positive towards FiM as I am, and I don't particularly want to read negative comments about the show.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 10:58:33 AM by otocolobus_manul »
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal