collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Re-hair MO TAF Baby Milky Way?

yes
11 (35.5%)
yes & go glow in the dark
5 (16.1%)
leave her original
15 (48.4%)

Total Members Voted: 31

Voting closed: August 27, 2019, 05:57:53 AM

Author Topic: Should I... Ok, I did *update*  (Read 2870 times)

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
Should I... Ok, I did *update*
« on: August 22, 2019, 05:57:53 AM »
I'm slowly chugging away at the end of my collection. I received this lovely from a great seller over on FB.
However, her hair and tail are severely cut.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

I get it, she's my pony, I can do whatever I want with her, but eh, with harder to find ponies I like to get a few opinions before I do evil things.
Based on the inside of her head think someone started to think about re-hairing her, pulled hair out, but gave up. The few strands I plucked were folded in the middle, like a weave. I feel like the ones that are like here she were made on a Friday... lol

I guess this one comes up with either a blue for lock or a blue stripe farther down (I had to check the archives to confirm this). I personally am in love with the blue forlock as it's totally different from how mommy looks.

If someone has a picture of her with original hair length I would appreciate you sharing so I can collect my thoughts a bit more...

UPDATE
She has new hair. I opted to not use GITD, as much as I wanted to, the shade just wasn't quite right to keep her close to original. I had to leave her hair a bit longer...

(Her forlock is a donor tail from a baby sleepy pie the white is virgin snow.)
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 05:56:41 AM by mlp4me »

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
Re: Should I....
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 06:33:06 AM »
I voted "leave her original", but not because of her value (because yeah, she's your pony, and unless you are planning to sell her/you foresee a situation when you need to sell her, e.g. for funds, her condition in others' eyes doesn't really matter, does it?), but because I think the short hairstyle really suits most G1 babies. I have some with similar short haircuts, already had as a child (I never cut the hair of my ponies, but part of my childhood pony collection came to me second hand), and already as a child I liked how the babies looked with such short hair (I think my head canon was that human babies also don't yet have super long hair :) ), so I never thought of rehairing any of these, not even when I knew how to.

That said, if you prefer how they look with long hair, and especially if you are attached to this pony and thus selling her&looking for another one in worse condition is not an option, I don't see any issue with you modifying her to your liking, and I'm saying this as someone who is normally more against G1 customisation than not. If she is your forever pony, the opinion of others seeing you customising her as an issue shouldn't count all that much, because the pony will never be available for them.

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline Skeen

• Not actually Captain Janeway
  • Trade Count: (+79)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 07:10:20 AM »
I'd leave her, but only because I want my collection as original as possible.  No rehairs or repaints.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 08:04:38 AM »
What Skeen said. For me a rehair is a custom, no longer an original. Any process that reduces the existing original material to me is not restoring, but customising, so rehairing is the biggest one of these. I'm sure a lot are not as black and white about it as I am, but rehairs are still one of those subjects that divides people.

Also, how to make sure that it can't be mistaken for an original in the case of your collection being sold, either with or without your involvement. That's controversial too, since some folk are happy replacing hair but not marking hooves.

And your pony isn't buzz cut. She still has hair.

For a reference pic, as you asked:

Yours is like mine, with the blue at the front and not in the middle, so it's probably a good comparison.

It is ultimately your call though, on your pony.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 09:18:21 AM »
Bear in mind when I do re-hairs I do not seal the heads, I leave the original tail inside the body, so when you shake you feel something rattling around. :o)

Not looking to re-sell, which is a good thing. Once they're here and I have to do something drastic to restore, they stay or are gifted to my BFF (and my BFF is a bigger hoarder than I!).

The intent was to re-hair, because her neckline is really rough and her hair was short; so two big issues right there that might scare somebody else away.
In general I like to restore ponies to a display quality and am by no means a picky collector. Honestly, this one could probably go either way for me...LOL

G4 customs 4 sale

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 10:13:29 AM »
Personally it wouldn't bother me at all, hair cuts never do, but if I was going to do anything I'd get a donor tail and leave the mane alone. It sounds like you would like to rehair ☺  I think marking of the bottom of the hoof is standard?

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2019, 10:17:19 AM »
I'm evil...I think the glow in the dark would be really cool and fit her really well, butttttt her hair isn't buzzed and that's usually the deciding factor for me on whether I can do anything with her.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2019, 11:44:56 AM »
This is a really weird reply for me; because normally I am NOT a fan of re-hairing/re-pinking and like my ponies in original condition.

But in her case, I say go for it (white hair).

Yes, she's sought after; expensive.... but it's not like she's a rare nirvana and the world general is going to shrink back in horror. She pops up often enough, and for me personally, I just wouldn't enjoy seeing her in my collection like that, especially if I knew it would be rather difficult to get an upgrade.

I was lucky enough to get a Baby Princess Sparkle once, but her hair was completely white. I am not a big spender on individual ponies, and I'd lucked out on her on a buy now on ebay, so I knew the chances of getting her again in my collection were pretty slim. So, I re-pinked her. And what a difference - both in her appearance and my content with her rough and ready condition. Oddly enough, I actually ended up picking up another one in a lot (rare luck) who was pretty much perfect, so I sold the old one, with the re-pink disclosed. Which is what you could do with your pony, should you find an upgrade :)  And why I think, just plain white hair (I do like saramari's idea of a donor tail) would be a better choice than glow in the dark.

Offline seaweedstar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Custom Bait Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2019, 04:33:34 PM »
Oh noooooo! She looks so sweet! The bob, and the blue forelock give her a bit of a punk look! (

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 03:17:36 PM »
Mimic's down there shouting "rehair that poor child!"

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Should I... Ok, I did *update*
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2019, 05:57:29 AM »
Mimic's down there shouting "rehair that poor child!"
I finally listened to Mimic this weekend! Restoration pic added at the start of this thread. :o)

G4 customs 4 sale

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2019, 08:25:29 AM »
Looks original!! Beautiful work

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2019, 08:29:39 AM »
She looks great! I'm glad you restored her.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2019, 08:31:35 AM »
I was about to say "the haircut doesn't look that bad" but then I realized I was looking at the "after" pictures, lol.  Now I see she almost had a buzzcut.  The new hair looks great! 

As far as the future goes, if you ever sell her you can just advertise her as a rehair (and leave her head loose so people can look inside.)

I probably would have rehaired too in this situation (if I weren't so lazy, lol).
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2019, 09:16:52 AM »
I was about to say "the haircut doesn't look that bad" but then I realized I was looking at the "after" pictures, lol.  Now I see she almost had a buzzcut.  The new hair looks great! 

As far as the future goes, if you ever sell her you can just advertise her as a rehair (and leave her head loose so people can look inside.)

I probably would have rehaired too in this situation (if I weren't so lazy, lol).

I never glue heads back on, so no worries. :o) Plus I leave it longer as a nod to the fact that a pony has been altered.

G4 customs 4 sale

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal