collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Collectors crisis??  (Read 4607 times)

Offline Prince_Sunbeam

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+52)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Collectors crisis??
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2019, 05:07:16 PM »
Ive done it!
The rest of the room is still in shambles of storage & sale piles. But I condensed my bookshelf display from 16 shelves down to 3! Im storing my PE & Dream Castle. As well as the rest of my funko glitter G4s (I have the complete set) and my collection of blind bag size G4s and their house sets.

Not shown is my disorganized shelf with my precious G2 castle, bushwoolies, customs, and MIBs.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
Back after at least 4 years away!

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2019, 05:37:29 PM »
Wow those G2's are gorgeous! I didn't realize they had some really striking colors!
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Zargata

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • KABOOM!
    • View Profile
    • http://Ogrebattle.weebly.com
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2019, 07:29:11 PM »
Congrats! It looks fantastic! You got some excellent pieces in that grouping. Consider me jealous!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2019, 08:18:28 AM »
so lovely!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline sailorstitch

• Trade Count: (+94)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Instagram @sailorstitch
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2019, 02:32:32 PM »
Interest in my pony collection comes and goes. Right now I'm focusing on other collections because I'm so BORED with G4. I'm waiting on G4 to be over so I can start on G5.

I love animals, I love horses, and therefore I loved breyers and little ponies.  Twice in my childhood I was forced to get rid of my ponies, but the breyers were ok.  I worked at a stable, worked in the vet field, even lived in a barn apartment for two years.  So the breyers weren't questioned too much.

But them I turned 35.  I'm was still single, no wife or kids.  People already think I'm the odd one.  I also like cats, so my family was always giving me cat stuff at birthdays and Christmas.  I had to tell them to stop. Nobody's ever going to date the guy with all the silly cat stuff in his house. Well, at 35, I had the same revelation about my breyers.  What is a 35 year old guy doing with shelf after shelf of plastic horses?  I boxed up 80% percent of my collection.  I was going to sell them and only keep those that had special meaning. 

Well, they're still in boxes in the basement after almost seven years.  I just... never got around to selling them, or I guess it was I really couldn't let them go.  I started a post here on the arena, there were a couple replies I think about who I have and photos, but I never followed through.

So I've sort of been in your shoes.  Wanting to let go but not sure how or why.

As for the bolded part.... ARE you kidding me? I would LOVE to find a guy that loves cats more than dogs. And a guy that collects ponies as well as cats! I can only dream of finding such a magical creature.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2019, 11:50:20 AM »
I agree, there's nothing wrong with a guy having pony stuff or cat stuff.

That said, I get that it can be annoying when people only know you for one thing.  I'm very open about my collection at work, I have ponies displayed etc.  And no one has ever given me grief over it.  But there have been one or two well-meaning people who, if they were introducing me to colleagues, were like:  "And this is [Name], she collects My Little Ponies!"  Like . . . REALLY?   I don't mind it coming up naturally in conversation, but that's not all I am.

Anyway . . . Prince_Sunbeam, your collection looks awesome!   I really like it when ponies are spaced out like that instead of in a shoulder to shoulder crush, it makes them easier to admire!
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline katrine2309

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Every day is someone's birthday - celebrate it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2019, 12:40:11 PM »
I understand completely! I was out of collecting for years! I’m still not actively buying ponies- I have my core collection and I am very happy with that. There was a time when I spent loads of time on my collections; ponies, dolls and bjds mostly. But then my interests shifted. I sold all my dolls. I kept the ponies, because they are mostly childhoods. But they are mostly packed away. I have a couple with me. ST AJ, for instance ;) But mostly, they are packed away. You can be a part of this community without buying ponies. There are so much else to this hobby than just buying :heart:
Visit my Flickr for doll & pony pictures!

My wantlist - pony wear, backcards & puffy/flat stickers

Looking for Puffy Stickers: Ripple (seapony), Gypsy and Gusty on original backing

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2019, 12:58:19 PM »
This post made me think about my collection again.  can you believe I still have a few ponies that I'm okay with parting with?  LOL 
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline dragonfly

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+65)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2019, 12:01:50 PM »
I think there are ups and downs with any collector. Particularly with toy collections, and even more particularly with societal perceptions of bronies, there cam be a feeling of stigma associated with it, especially due an adult to be dedicated to toys. When you dedicate not only time, energy, money and the physical space of your home to your collection then I think a time comes when you do want to re-evaluate your priorities.

That's natural and a good thing to do periodically. There can be a certain amount of peer pressure and keeping up with the Joneses in the pony community. I myself go through phases of actively collecting and selling things off, it definitely ebbs and flows but in the end, I'll always love MLP whether I have a large collection or no. I used to have a collection of thousands and tbh, they had lost their meaning to me and were not as special. Right now I keep a few pieces which are meaningful to me and I'm happier. But it has changed during different seasons of my life, I've been collecting for a long time.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal