collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ponies, but in 3D!  (Read 5071 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Ponies, but in 3D!
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2019, 06:06:33 AM »
I’m a huge fan of whoever is voicing her!

Yeah I love how her voice cracks a little. She sounds adorable.
I like Andrea Libman's Fluttershy but her Pinkie is... :| Please recast and keep this new actress.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2019, 12:59:31 PM »
I'm not a fan of this animation style at all. It just seems off to me. Gummy doesn't even look animated and Pinkie's mane looks like really strange fuzz.  I do like the new voice actress voice for Pinkie.  Her excitement sounds more natural than it usually does.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2019, 04:08:07 PM »
I know this thread is a bit old but lol this guy breaks down every issue with this 3D animated short in terms of the model for Pinkie XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBTMk39VUlg
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline TJgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2019, 05:35:37 PM »
Oh yeah, this guy is great. His Blender animated ponies are fantastic.  :biggrin:

They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2019, 05:36:06 PM »
I don't like the animation at all.  Which I don't care about for a commercial, but I really hope they don't do an actual show in this style.  Why does she have visible hooves . . . ?

I don't think My Little Ponies translate well in to 3D in general.  They're in this weird space where they must have fur because they're ponies, but they look baaad with the fur modeled.  2D (even if it's 2D traced over a 3D rigging like the G4 movie) works so much better.

Edit:  Okay the fan animation in the post above looks fine . . . I guess it's mostly that the more "literal" 3D animation looks, the worse it looks on MLPs.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 05:37:38 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2019, 06:10:19 PM »
I don't like the animation at all.  Which I don't care about for a commercial, but I really hope they don't do an actual show in this style.  Why does she have visible hooves . . . ?

I don't think My Little Ponies translate well in to 3D in general.  They're in this weird space where they must have fur because they're ponies, but they look baaad with the fur modeled.  2D (even if it's 2D traced over a 3D rigging like the G4 movie) works so much better.

Edit:  Okay the fan animation in the post above looks fine . . . I guess it's mostly that the more "literal" 3D animation looks, the worse it looks on MLPs.
I think for the most part the G4 style doesn't translate well as 100% 3D... I've seen a bunch of 3D fan made versions of the FiM crew and they are all... eh not all that great... A good number of styles in the Pony fandom just simply don't work for 3D models... But as the guy says some things could work given if they have the right person to do it and the time/budget.
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2019, 07:16:36 PM »
I.. am not a fan. As others have said, the best thing about this short is the new voice actress.  Normally Pinkie’s high pitched shrieking is really irritating.  This didn’t hurt my ears so much.

But I am not a fan of the animation.   I really want G5 to swing back more horse-like and this is even more humanoid with eyes that are even bigger!   And, ironically, I don’t like the hooves.  I generally don’t like my mlp with hooves like that.  I could get behind hooves if the bodies where more elegant and there was feathering like in G2.

I do have to say that I may be biased.  I have never liked when traditional 2d characters are rendered in 3D.  It just never looks right and loses the charm of the 2d design.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 07:19:10 PM by Sunset »

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2019, 08:53:32 PM »
I’ve worked in 3d animation before. I think this is fine for a commercial, but I don’t thing it would fit in a television or movie format. I agree with djthed for the most part- weird deformations are weird. I also just don’t think this kind of 3d works well. The hair and body do have that strange fur look to them. Sometimes, fur can be rendered well (assuming your computer doesn’t combust or die like mine did), but it costs a lot of money and time to do it. Maybe I’m biased because I work with the blender ponies made by creator of pony primarily. But I think I’d prefer if they did something like that or djthed’s ponies.
    Also, hooves. Im a bit torn on the hooves or no hooves debate. I think this animation just scored me a point in the “no hooves” category.
Edit: well, I can’t just say these things without trying to make examples of the poses in blender. More of a comparison in quality of the rig. I’ll get on that, just to see if maybe I can make it look better and most definitely not because I have a lot of free time and I’m bored now with no school
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 09:01:49 PM by Mewtwofan1 »
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2019, 06:46:25 AM »
I think if they design G5 as a "3D first, 2D later" thing we should be ok. The FIM style is too flat to translate well into a 3D space and that's the problem, I feel like that's why the toys don't quite match up to the style either, because it's just hard to make sense of where you can view it in less cartoony angles.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2019, 07:12:41 AM »
She somehow looks even worse in 3D. If this is gonna be G5's animation I definitely won't be watching it.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2019, 07:45:00 AM »
I like the official one's hair way better than the Blender made tumors she has going on. Her hair looks like several squishie toys attached to her. I'd rather see the textured wooly hairdo.

If they fixed the eyelashes and smoothed out the hoof area none of this animation would upset me. So far I liked the TB Harmony models best, but nowadays anything is better than the forced perspective Flash ponies. What creeps me out about any of these 3D models is how fake they start looking. If you add eye shines, teeth and fur textures it just catapults the FiM design into Uncanny Valley.

But if you take away the textures you end up with a pony that looks like a squishie or playdo.

Offline Ragamuffin

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2019, 08:27:35 AM »
I feel like the FiM ponies are just too stylized to work with in 3D.

Like for the hair, I liked it best when G4 Pinkie's hair was sculpted like her early blind bag mold. Now they're doing the more "show-accurate" hairstyle and it looks like a blob, like a bunch of chewed up bubblegum. I don't think you can apply a texture to FiM Pinkie's hair shape and call it good. You'd have to redesign it to work in a 3D space, and you know, actually give her curls and not just... a blob.

The other ponies' mane styles and tails would work in 3D as-is but Pinkie needs work.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2019, 09:38:50 AM »
The voice is good-  I like the yarn texture hair-

Gummy's eyes are bad.

I like the hooves :D

It's cute. 

But if this were a regular animation I would not watch.

Offline Ragamuffin

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2020, 12:45:27 PM »
It's been a while hasn't it? I didn't see many people talk about the new episode-or-whatever of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgLRhZT8SDw

A New Years special! Still littered with animation errors but at least it looks better without the pipe cleaner hair on Pinke Pie. :lol: The voice is still pretty cute too.

Horns! :devious:

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2020, 01:13:56 PM »
A mild improvement from he first one, but I’m still not a big fan. I’ve found that the animation is okay, save for the Europe’s here and there. My biggest complaint is probably her voice. As a different character, it might work. But with g4 pinkie, my brain is trained to associate her voice with Andrea libman. Even if it was like a g5 pinkie with a different hair scheme (like the g3 version isn’t the same as g4, but they’re kinda the same pony, if that makes sense?) I could accept a bit easier.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal