collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Ponies, but in 3D!  (Read 5068 times)

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Ponies, but in 3D!
« on: August 21, 2019, 07:56:43 AM »
There's a new animated short on MLP's official Youtube channel about Pinkie having her own her own show. It's 3D animated which I'm pretty sure is the first time we've seen a 3D pony for an extended amount of time.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLa8CAQKH-4

G3 had 3D animated commercials and the PC games had prerendered models, and G4 has had its share of 3D animated appearances too (Target Christmas commercials). G4 also has its mobile game with low poly 3D models.

It was confirmed back in February that the G5 movie "future MLP movie" is gonna be 3D so uh... have something to look forward to?!?

(The Facebook post said a "CGI" and people will say "oh that means computer-generated, and MLP is already computer-generated" but let's be real, no one uses the term "CGI" to refer to Flash/Harmony)

The animation is cute and well done, and while Pinkie herself doesn't look too bad, I don't like her hair, and Gummy looks... very not good. The most interesting part in my opinion is look at the bottom of her legs! Hooves! :blink:

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Ponies, but in 3D!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 08:39:21 AM »
I think the model is animated very cutely, although I do wish the hair looked more like hair and less like fuzz. I immediately thought of the G5 movie when I saw this, maybe a sort of animation test for Boulder to see what they can do?
Fix gummy, though. He looks so bad. I think it might be an eye texture issue.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 08:42:58 AM »
Ugh. Pinkie Pie.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 08:48:39 AM »
Is that her usual voice actress? The voice sounded less grating somehow. Or maybe that's just me.

I think she looks cute. Just weird seeing actual hooves on these ponies. It looks off.

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 08:51:24 AM »
Pretty cute, though yeah I'm not huge on how they did her hair either. It was interesting that they gave her visible hooves!

Is that her usual voice actress? The voice sounded less grating somehow. Or maybe that's just me.

I think she looks cute. Just weird seeing actual hooves on these ponies. It looks off.

It was definitely someone else voicing her.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 09:33:10 AM »
Why does G4 Pinkie Pie have to scream like a banshee all the time? Do kids these days actually find it funny? Or do the producers just try to keep the viewer's attention this way? Or is she supposed to be, well, "this" kind of character? This always baffled me so much.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Ragamuffin

• View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 09:38:07 AM »
I think the model is animated very cutely, although I do wish the hair looked more like hair and less like fuzz.
Right? It doesn't look like hair at all, it looks like a bunch of wadded up pipe cleaners glued to her head. The mane looks good with this amount of curl, but the forelock is nonsensical. The best way to describe it is like, they got a plush of Pinkie Pie, where the mane is stuffed, and then glued cotton balls to it...

The Sonic the Hedgehog movie did something similar (wow, great comparison, lol), where Sonic's spines are just weird growths on the back of his head covered in fur, instead of long spines forming the shape.

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 03:52:50 PM »
Hm. Not a fan. While some aspects look decent all together its not as good as they could do. We'll see though!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 01:57:45 PM by caseysealia »

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 04:18:35 PM »
I've never thought that FiM ponies work in 3D, and this did not even begin to change my mind on that matter.

|My Collection|

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 04:46:02 PM »
Why does G4 Pinkie Pie have to scream like a banshee all the time? Do kids these days actually find it funny? Or do the producers just try to keep the viewer's attention this way? Or is she supposed to be, well, "this" kind of character? This always baffled me so much.
I've honestly never noticed her screaming, even when she's excited (unless the joke relates to it), but I think it's because she's supposed to be "this" kind of character - she's someone who gets excited easily because she's fun loving, I guess.  That's the best I can come up with, considering I've never actually noticed that she screams a lot.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 06:02:06 PM »
She squeals and shrieks constantly, maybe not screaming so much but shrieking at least half of everything she says. That being said I was already smart enough to watch this on mute haha!

I also am not a fan of the texturing, the hair obviously but also her fur looks weird like they wanted it to be fur but not really. I think they did well with the G4 proportions on this 3D model but I didn't really enjoy the overall look.

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline WingsOfMasquerade

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 10:32:40 PM »
2010 called, and it wants its animation back.
What is her 'skin' texture?
Why is her hair a lump of frizz?
Why does it make me dislike Gummy?
Why hooves? Kind of the whole point of them was that their skin/horn/hoof/wing is all homogenously textured

The Target Ad pinkie and Pinkie Target Nutcracker were WAY cuter than this.
Her eyelash clips thru her face sometimes
The white highlights in the eye aren't really, they're physical objects with shadows??? So literal chunks on eyeball.
The heart eyes are also blank white eyes with red shapes sliding over them

I am super hoping this is absolutely nothing like G5 or I won't even have a part of it.
I got some of the G4 ponies but if G5 looks like this count me right on out permanently. Spherical heads, 90% of which is eyeball, pig snout, human mouth, neck in center of head, poorly hair, dolly she opens also has poorly hair, and some low effort.

If this had come out at the start of G4, like back in the day when the show was first on, or after season 1, I'd be like 'ok' it's weird but I guess that's as good as they can do. But when you have stuff like Miraculous Laybug and other CG shows on Netflix that have a zillion seasons and still look better/un-creepy it doesn't reflect all that well on this one.

This seems like a really odd thing for them to make / release.
Why? G4 is ending, what are they hoping this does for them?
They have no reason to expend money/talent on a CG anything at this particular date.
It's like that super odd 'pop up pony' video they did of G1 where it said Megan was beast/dating an animal from the show and how a Stoneback eventually ate her and that's why she's not in G4. It's like why even make something super odd and inappropriate. They had no need to do either thing, didn't research either thing, and put in a low effort to both. (Like, they didn't know what a Stoneback was because even though they cut together all the clips nobody ever watched a clip AT ALL because they say the word Stoneback a lot.)

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2019, 10:46:05 PM »
I’m a huge fan of whoever is voicing her!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2019, 02:58:13 AM »
I think this voice actor did a much better job of capturing someone who’s energetic and peppy than Pinkie’s actual voice actor does. Her voice in this is really cute and much more believable. In show Pinkie just...shrieks and yells her lines so much! No one over the age of 14 yells that much! :P

The animation in this is....hmmm...I actually really don’t know how to feel about it. I definitely have a feeling this must be a test run for what they want to do for G5, this was obviously a lot of work for what is essentially a toy commercial. I must say, the animation really DID do justice to how sad modern G4 toys look! :lol: Overall The did a decent job translating the G4 show style to 3D, which is not an easy feat. The textures and lighting effects all look really bland though. Her hair is maybe the most disappointing part of her model for me. It looks like my sad attempt of when I tried to make a plush back when FiM started and I just sloppily stitched some pink fuzzy yarn to the top of the head. :P The eyes are also rendered really weird with the 3D eye shine, but in motion everything overall looks okay. I also love her hooves! Gummy really needs help though. I’d also like to see a little more meat on Pinkie Pie’s bones, she looks so skinny! Her head is too heavy for her stick neck! My own neck hurts looking at her!

As much as I don’t want to see mlp go CGI like this, Hasbro seems pretty set on the idea. I just hope they give the studio they work with a healthy enough budget to make everything look nice! I imagine this was probably a pretty low budget test run. If it was, whoever did this could probably make something nice with some more time and money! I wish we could stick with the style the movie was done in, even though it was 2D mostly, it looked fairly 3D and kept a unique style.

All in all its definitely not the worst mlp cgi we’ve seen! :lol:

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline TJgamer

• Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2019, 03:39:23 AM »
I think it's charming in a weird way.   :lookround:
I like this different voice for her. She sounds so chipper and squeaky like a child.
The animation is pretty cute and zany, though the shots with her dancing around with her head in place is off-putting.
Also Gummy...why are his pupils so enlarged?   :shocked:
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal