collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hasbro talks of phasing out plastic packaging  (Read 5536 times)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro talks of phasing out plastic packaging
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2019, 05:19:34 PM »
Now THAT is a plan I could get behind! :silly:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2019, 11:40:51 PM »
Oh interesting, I just read an article a few days ago talking about this. Hasbro was one of the big companies invited to the Ocean Plastic Leadership Summit. They had a bunch of environmental groups and big plastic producing companies come together and go visit the North Atlantic Gyre and see the garbage crisis in the ocean first hand. Then they all split up into groups and came up with ideas and solutions for their companies to reduce their use of plastic. I'm not sure how they will package ponies now but it'll be interesting to see and I was happy to see that Hasbro was one of the companies participating. Most of the companies invited declined. 

Offline achab1984

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+222)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
  • Ponies make me smile! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2019, 08:31:52 AM »
I just hope they do go threw with it! It will be interesting to see it! I also got a message back from them! They thanked me for my positive attitude toward it! :)

Offline CharmingBirthday

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Teeny Tiny Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2019, 06:27:57 PM »
Definitely a more complex issue... I think it goes far beyond how these things are produced.

I would like to see a change in attitudes, but don't judge anyone, as it doesn't help.

Reconciling my interests such as collecting with my values has been tough, especially since I tend to be very anxious.

I'm emotionally attached to little plastic horses. They bring me joy, I like collecting them, and having them around. There's no point feeling guilty over that, and I always hope these kind of discussions don't polarise people. Of course it would be ideal if companies weren't manufacturing products in such a way and scale that it was unsustainable and carrying terrible consequences for the future. Plus I also worry about the human labour involved, probably most of all. Though it's hard to find accurate information about that. The impacts of this sort of thing on poorer countries.

Personally I've decided to only buy second hand ponies to add to my collection, which literally isn't a problem at all as there's no lack of supply. I really like it because it also lets me appreciate the things that are already here, what's done is done and there's no point deciding some already existing items are "bad" and eliminating them. They'll be around anyway.

The impacts of reducing plastic by a certain amount or replacing it with a different material in manufacturing is way beyond my ability to understand. If it does reduce waste/emissions then I think that's a good thing.
❀  I'm g3supreme on Tumblr!  ❀
My G3 Collection (on snupps)

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2019, 09:29:51 PM »
     I do hope that this works. While hasbro is a small drop in the plastic packaging bucket, every little bit helps. I hope that they don’t go with the Zilla packing. Perhaps there is a new kind of plant based or otherwise eco friendly window film in development. Science can go far when given money and reason...I think a better packaging would be a good reason.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline nhal039

• Trade Count: (+171)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2019, 09:51:10 PM »
woop woop I cant wait for the day that plastic packing is obsolete

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 19, 2019, 06:34:05 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbValMHcKSM

Here's a video on Frustration Free Packaging that seems relevant from Hasbro and Amazon.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #52 on: September 19, 2019, 11:37:08 PM »
I mean, that's good. But the toys themselves are also plastic. Phasing out the plastic packaging is doing the least and I won't applaud them for it :lol:

It should be a requirement for most things, tbh. I hate how organic veggies are plastic wrapped so my options are plastic or eat pesticides.

Let's make ponies from vegetables. Everyone's happy, space is no longer a problem and dinner is also solved.

Seriously though I don't tend to collect packaging. I have very few 'in package' ponies and then they are only G3, G4 and anniversary. I have some bits of G1 packaging but not unopened and complete with pony. This issue is part of the reason I bought all my G4s on ebay i.e. new but not packaged or second hand. I know there are implications to getting some of my G4s in that way and I do have mixed feelings about it. But their main market is kids and if kids are happy to buy blind then there will still be a market, and I can just keep getting them on ebay. Maybe Hasbro should have thier own shop on Ebay for cheaper unpackaged toys and then we wouldn't have to stress about it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2019, 11:44:47 PM by Artemesia's Garden »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal