collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Hasbro talks of phasing out plastic packaging  (Read 5535 times)

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Hasbro talks of phasing out plastic packaging
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2019, 02:30:36 PM »
These toy companies are all racing to make opening the packaging the experience rather than the toy itself, so we are ending up with a pound of plastic trash for a 3 in plastic doll with no hair, joints, etc. (See LOL, Blume, Capsule Chix, poopsie surprise etc)

Toy companies don't know how to compete with screens and apps, so they add ever more gimmicks and layers to packages and lean into the "gotta catch them all" mentality

It's nice to see this, and the technology does exist to reduce plastic in packaging, but it will always be lip service when companies' #1 priority is to make obscene profit. They don't care about climate change, that hurts the bottom line
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2019, 02:37:21 PM »
They did a thing similar to this a few years ago -

Does anyone remember when Hasbro switched from using those pastic "T" tags to fasten things into the boxes and started using twisted paper cords instead?  maybe it was hemp?  dunno but I was so pleased with the change - I despise those T tag plastic things.  But it only lasted for a year or so.  I'm afraid this is will be the same thing.  I get the sense it's a "see look everyone!" then ditch it.   Sure the environment will benefit from anything they can do but they don't seem committed for the long term.

Right?! Glad I'm not the only one who remembered that. Going green is good, but they've done this before, turned around, and went back to their old ways, but this time, be even worse...

Let's see how they're packaging things in 2021 or 2023.
These toy companies are all racing to make opening the packaging the experience rather than the toy itself, so we are ending up with a pound of plastic trash for a 3 in plastic doll with no hair, joints, etc. (See LOL, Blume, Capsule Chix, poopsie surprise etc)

Toy companies don't know how to compete with screens and apps, so they add ever more gimmicks and layers to packages and lean into the "gotta catch them all" mentality

It's nice to see this, and the technology does exist to reduce plastic in packaging, but it will always be lip service when companies' #1 priority is to make obscene profit. They don't care about climate change, that hurts the bottom line

This too. Surprise toys are the worst when it comes to trash. Glad other people see the same and I'm not too cynical. :P

Offline sd_dreamcrystal

• Trade Count: (+50)
  • MOC Mimic
  • Reach far beyond the boundaries of imagination.
    • View Profile
    • DreamCrystalArt @ DeviantART
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2019, 04:24:29 PM »
So 2022 is when it's going to be completely phased out with plastic packaging? So I'm wondering if when they start the release of G5 (or whatever it's going to be called) is when they will basically start with this no plastic packaging...
My DeviantArt, why not drop by and take a look!

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2019, 06:27:57 PM »
But wasn't the global warming actually mostly caused by overpopulation and eating too much meat?
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2019, 06:49:43 PM »
Yes, overpopulation is the main cause of climate change. Good luck convincing Africa and India to stop making babies, though.

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2019, 07:11:17 PM »
I'm not sure if this was a serious question but climate change was created by human actions. The leading sources of greenhouse gases are combustion of fossil fuels in factories and power plants, and methane released from factory farming (yes eating too much meat), landfills and petroleum factories (thus the discussion around plastic reduction).

NASA has a good basic introduction website on it https://climate.nasa.gov/causes/

The amount of CO2 generated by people breathing/existing can't be compared to what is produced by industry. Of course as population increases so does demand for agriculture however, instances of meat eating are higher in richer countries than the ones called out by HollowZero. You are treading into some discriminatory waters, people in Africa and India do not have equal access to education and birth control both of which have a positive correlation to population reduction.

To return to the topic, there is no inherent need for plastic toys or other consumer goods but companies have created demand for them via marketing and disenfranchisement etc. I'm happy to have less plastic encircling my toy in seven layers, and even as a toy collector I'd be happy with less toy production.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 07:19:49 PM by SaraMari »

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2019, 07:22:52 PM »
That would be awesome!

I'll bet they're thinking about using the corn-based stuff they use on compostable cups.  I don't know what science-magic they use, but the stuff looks and feels like plastic, and is clear like plastic.  But it biodegrades if you compost it.

While we're on the topic, this is something I hate about L.O.L. Surprise dolls.  One of the "features" of the dolls is that they're wrapped in layers of layers of plastic, which contain "surprises."

Surprises like . . . a sticker or a hairbrush.  Which do not count as surprises at all in my book.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2019, 07:25:39 PM »
But wasn't the global warming actually mostly caused by overpopulation and eating too much meat?

Don’t forget air travel—the pollution/toxin
-spewing elephant in the room that no one ever wants to talk about.

Obviously little changes like this are good... but they seem so insignificant in the big picture. I hate to be cynical, but it seems like corporations only do these things for a pat on the back/good press. I’m sad to say this, but... I don’t think anything will “get better” environmentally until humanity can reduce meat consumption, stop flying across the globe every five minutes for vacations and other unnecessary reasons, and embrace the age of video conferencing for business related meetings and gatherings.

But yeah... I don’t get why blind bag/box toys don’t use more cardboard. It’s the perfect medium for eco-friendly packaging, since you don’t need to see or display what’s inside. What about something hidden in layers of (recyclable) gift-paper that you unwrap, like a present?

That would be awesome!

I'll bet they're thinking about using the corn-based stuff they use on compostable cups.  I don't know what science-magic they use, but the stuff looks and feels like plastic, and is clear like plastic.  But it biodegrades if you compost it.

That stuff would be a great alternative for packaging! If you’re curious, it’s made from cellulose—the tough, indigestible (for us humans) part of the cob that would normally be disposed of in the food industry. It’s amazing what can be done with it!
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2019, 07:26:50 PM »
That would be awesome!

While we're on the topic, this is something I hate about L.O.L. Surprise dolls.  One of the "features" of the dolls is that they're wrapped in layers of layers of plastic, which contain "surprises."

Surprises like . . . a sticker or a hairbrush.  Which do not count as surprises at all in my book.

I feel the same way about L.O.L dolls I've never understood why they are so popular and most of the "surprises" are just stickers.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2019, 07:32:54 PM »
That would be awesome!

I feel the same way about L.O.L dolls I've never understood why they are so popular and most of the "surprises" are just stickers.

Ponyfan

There actually aren’t that many stickers—not in the main line, anyway. Usually just one or two to a pack. The majority of the “surprises” tend to be the doll’s outfit... shoes, sunglasses, purse, jacket, etc... I prefer the Pets series for this reason, as you at least get something that isn’t totally predictable.

But yeah... all that plastic is a pain. Like I was saying, L.O.L. would be a prime line for incorporating more gift-paper and less plastic wrap.
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2019, 01:28:39 AM »
Honestly, if they started making toys from corn or coconut plastic I wouldn't mind. Their ponies already start rotting and changing color after a short span of time, just make them completely biodegradeable.

Put in landfills, these materials still need over 100 years to decompose naturally. That means you have enough time to enjoy your collection until it will be gone. In fact, you'll decompose much faster than a corn pony :P

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2019, 02:16:04 AM »
On a side note, note necessarily related to Hasbro, but rather to alternative methods to swap out plastic: I'm all happy about reducing plastic, but the corn-based technology also has its disadvantages. Yes, it decomposes, but the problem is, this seems to satisfy the world enough that there's no 'Plan B' (at least not where I live) for those who don't have access to composting. For those living in the city without the option to compost, corn-based "plastic" actually means more stuff going in the landfills - regular plastic you can collect selectively, but this you either compost, or you put it in your regular watesbin. And whatever goes in the latter will be stored in airless landfills which don't give an opportunity for even degradable stuff to decompose. I'm by no means saying this to promote plastic, I just wanted to add that resolution attempts needs to happen jointly, on multiple levels. Until this is missing, alternative (=not possible to collect selectively) methods will generate more common waste.
My dream is to be able to collect compostable waste separately (the majority of our non-selective waste is that really...), but my dream is also to live where I live now: in the city centre, in 100+ year-old blocks of flats, and here there's just no way to compost on the spot. I'd love to have the option to collect this separately and then have the stuff taken away separately, in a similar way as selective waste collection is happening, but the waste collecting situation is just not on that level here yet - and I know several countries where the waste situation is even worse.

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2019, 02:55:13 AM »
It's like the recyclable straw debate...recently here there was some article about how the new paper straws are not easily recyclable but also not reusable, unlike the plastic ones. It's also created furore from disabled people who need a straw to drink and can't use the reusable ones for whatever reason relating to their composition.

...The problem is complex because we are so dependant on plastic that finding alternatives requires a much bigger effort than we've yet seen. Meantime plastic is continuing to be used and produced.

No thank you to biodegradeable ponies. I feel about this that so long as my ponies aren't being trashed, they aren't in landfill, so they're not adding to the problem. I see the argument for not producing more...but I would rather see no ponies than ones that visibly rot. I've seen the carrier bags dessicate into something you really don't want to inhale, and it would just be disturbing to have them intentionally breaking down. Not to mention safety if one happened to decompose too soon and choked a kid with a broken part.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2019, 04:12:44 AM »
but I would rather see no ponies than ones that visibly rot.

You wouldn't be able to see them rotting because they would take hundreds of years. Provided they'd be made from materials produced today and not some futuristic quickly rotting material we don't know yet.

The corn plastic and such takes 3 months to decompose but only in special fascilities that can speed up the process with heat and moisture. Left alone they need multiple human lives to rot away.

That reminds me that my guests tend to side-eye my salad bowl because it's coconut plastic and they think keeping moist salad inside will speed up the decomposition :lol: I wish it was that fast!

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2019, 05:52:38 AM »
Yeah... no compostable ponies for me, thanks. >_<; Plastic/vinyl degrades fast enough as it is... I don’t want something that’s actually MEANT to be temporary.

A world with no plastic toys is a world I have no desire to live in.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal