collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Disney will remake Bambi in new Lionking style  (Read 3672 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Disney will remake Bambi in new Lionking style
« on: August 20, 2019, 03:34:43 AM »
I never paid money to see any of these remakes so I don't feel responsible for this :lol:

https://insidethemagic.net/2019/08/bambi-live-action-remake/

Everyone please read the REAL original "Bambi" which is a book by Jewish author Felix Salten who had to flee Nazi Austria and was asking publishers not to change or censor his works to make them more "suitable for children".

He never received royalties as he didn't sell the rights to Disney himself. All he got was a brief mention in the credits of the Disney Bambi movie that was now changed and heavily sweetened up and censored for the American public.

This PSA has been brought to you by me, fan of the original, who doesn't like soulless CG animals voiced by celebs :P

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Disney will remake Bambi in new Lionking style
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 04:47:26 AM »
I read the original novel when I was in college. It was quite shocking to me since I'd only know the story from the Disney movie.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 05:07:53 AM »
Some trivia for others: Hitler ordered the burning of the first editions of Bambi. He was also a massive Disney fan who did fanart of Disney characters :lookround:

I read the original novel when I was in college. It was quite shocking to me since I'd only know the story from the Disney movie.

Hence why so many people these days prefer the Disney classics to the fairy tales and novels they are based on. They're sweet, censored and idealized.
It's no wonder people are disappointed by the originals and call them "dark" or "bad" when they grew up on Disney sugarcoating. Little Mermaid and Junglebook are probably the best examples.

I already know the skunk will make all the fart jokes so I hope they at least won't have that cringeworthy "we all fall in love with feminine versions of ourselves" scene in the new movie. That make-up wearing bunny seriously weirded me out as a child.
They also need to make Faline more active. She was a much more opinionated character who could do things on her own without Bambi's help. She even went against Bambi's belief system once or twice.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 05:11:11 AM by Zapper »

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 05:25:07 AM »
One of things that really stuck with me about the original was

Spoiler
Gobo’s death.

The Lion King remake was okay but I am getting a little tired of Disney remaking their own movies so often.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 05:41:06 AM »
One of things that really stuck with me about the original was

Spoiler
Gobo’s death.

The Lion King remake was okay but I am getting a little tired of Disney remaking their own movies so often.
Spoiler
Gobo's death was much more tragic than the mother's and it's no surprise it wasn't put in the movie. Reading it as an adilt I still get a lump in my throat. It was so real and at the same time served as such a good illustration of the relationship the animals have to humans/their god.
The entire religious allegory is gone from the movie. Instead there is a much more black/white understanding of what is good and what is evil.

I think the new Bambi will be more like their Junglebook remake. Lionking was almost a shot for shot. I think Bambi will claim to be closer to the book (like they claimed with Junglebook) but in the end will still leave out all the "adult" discussions the animals have.
Spoiler
And of course Gobo will live (if he is in there at all). Maybe wounded but eventually will be ok (nursed back to health by another human possibly).

And the forest will of course be American, not German. Only American wildlife so Bambi can fight some large predators. We need more action ;)

I still love the Disney Bambi for its visuals. The watercolor backdrops are goooorgeous and the choir and orchestra are beautiful. Think I needed to mention this before someone tells me I just want to hate on beautiful kids movies.

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 05:56:31 AM »
Ahhhhhh of course they will
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 07:22:26 AM »
This is why I never judge a book by its movie.  I've read a lot of books that Disney turned into movies and they are always VERY different.  The Rescuers, The Fox and the Hound, The Black Cauldron, Oliver Twist...Disney's versions are basically Fanfiction for the actual books. (Bambi has been on my list to read for a while.  I've been putting it off because I've heard how dark parts of it are and I wasn't in the mood for something heavy.)  The characters might have the same names and maybe they might be in some similar situations but they are never truly the actual story.  Alice in Wonderland (1959 animated), for example, is actually a mix of Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass.  Even though the movies don't follow the books, I am usually able to enjoy both as I see them as separate entities.  But remaking cartoons into live action is harder for me to enjoy when it's the exact same thing.  I like the animated Jungle Book better than the new live action one.  I haven't even put any effort into seeing Aladdin or The Lion King because I have those movies at home already.  Although I have heard that Will Smith does a good job as the Genie and I may check out that movie from the library when they get it.

I work in a library and considering how many books would make wonderful movies, it bothers me that Disney has lost all imagination is just rehashing what they've already done before.  Seriously, even with fairy tales they haven't touched 99% of what's available.  Why not make Rumplestiltzkin or The Twelve Dancing Princesses or The Princess and the Pea or The Six Swans (which would give us new Princes instead of Princesses) or any Greek myth that isn't Hercules?  And there are plenty of Folk Tales from around the world that could be beautifully translated into animated features but instead we're going to make live action versions of what we've already made because Disney On Ice just isn't a good enough copy.  Up next, Mulan and The Little Mermaid (with new songs by the guy that wrote the music for Moana).

I'll climb down off my soap box now.   :blush:

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 07:25:27 AM »
The original novel is amazing.  I did like the animated Disney movie, but it's definitely not as intense.  I also read Bambi II: Bambi's Children but I didn't like that one nearly as much.

Spoiler
Gobo's death was so sad.

The part with the dog and the fox always stuck with me.  Excerpt below:

Spoiler
They heard a low labored snarling under the angry barking. Bambi grew uneasy, but the old stag quiet him again. "We don't need to worry about it," he said. They lay still in their warm hollow and peered out. Through the snow and over the roots and branches the fox came springing, crouching, and slinking. A little short-legged hound was after him.

One of the fox's forelegs was crushed and the fur torn around it. He held his shattered paw in front of him, and blood poured from his wound. He was gasping for breath. He was beside himself with rage and fear. He was desperate and exhausted . . . Presently the fox sat down on his haunches. He could go no farther. Raising his mangled forepaw pitifully, with his jaws open and his lips drawn back, he snarled at the dog.

But the dog was never silent for a minute. His high, rasping bark only grew fuller and deeper. "Here," he yapped, "here he is! Here! Here! Here!" He was not abusing the fox. He was not even speaking to him, but urging on someone who was still far behind. Bambi knew as well as the old stag that it was He the dog was calling.

The fox knew it too. The blood was streaming down from him and fell from his breast into the snow, making a fiery red spot on the icy white surface, and steaming slowly.

A weakness overcame the fox. His crushed foot sank down helpless, but a burning pain shot through it when it touched the cold snow. He lifted it with an effort and held it quivering in front of him.

"Let me go," said the fox, beginning to speak, "let me go." He spoke softly and beseechingly. He was quite weak and despondent.

"No! No! No!" the dog howled.

The fox pleaded still more insistently. "We're relations," he pleaded, "we're brothers almost. Let me go home. Let me die with my family at least. We're brothers almost, you and I."

"No! No! No!" the dog raged.

Then the fox rose so that he was sitting perfectly erect. He dropped his handsome pointed muzzle on his bleeding breast, raised his eyes and looked the dog straight in the face. In a completely altered voice, restrained and embittered, he growled, "Aren't you ashamed, you traitor!"

"No! No! No!" yelped the dog.

But the fox went on, "You turncoat, you renegade." His maimed body was taut with contempt and hatred. "You spy," he hissed, "you blackguard, you track us where He could never find us. You betray us, your own relations, me who am almost your brother. And you stand there and aren't ashamed!"

Instantly many other voices sounded loudly round about.

"Traitor!" cried the magpie from the tree.

"Spy!" shrieked the jay.

"Blackguard!" the weasel hissed.

"Renegade!" snarled the ferret.

From every tree and bush came chirpings, peepings, shrill cries, while overhead the crows cawed, "Spy! Spy!" Everyone had rushed up, and from the trees or from safe hiding places on the ground they watched the contest. The fury that had burst from the fox released an embittered anger in them all. And the blood spilled on the snow, that steamed before their eyes, maddened them all and made them forget caution.

The dog stared around him. "Who are you?" he yelped. "What do you want? What do you know about it? What are you talking about? Everything belongs to Him, just as I do. But I, I love Him. I worship Him. I serve Him. Do you think you can oppose Him, poor creatures like you? He's all-powerful. He's above all of you. Everything we have comes from Him. Everything that lives or grows comes from Him." The dog was quivering in exaltation.

"Traitor!" cried the squirrel shrilly.

"Yes, traitor!" hissed the fox. "Nobody is a traitor but you, only you!"

The dog was dancing about in a frenzy of devotion. "Only me?" he cried. "You lie. Aren't there many, many others on His side? The horse, the cow, the sheep, the chickens, many, many of you and your kind are on His side and worship Him and serve Him."

"They're rabble!" snarled the fox, full of a boundless contempt.

Then the dog could contain himself no longer and sprang at the fox's throat. Growling, spitting, and yelping, they rolled in the snow, a writhing, savagely snapping mass from which fur flew. The snow rose in clouds and was spattered with fine drops of blood. At last the fox could not fight any more. In a few seconds he was lying on his back, his white belly uppermost. He twitched and stiffened and died.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 08:39:43 AM »
LadyMoondancer, do you k ow if they ever released an English translation of Bambi's Children that leaves the two last champers in? I read about how they were removed for the American market. Also, did the version you read call Him "brown him"?

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 10:17:33 AM »
Wow I had no idea that the Bambie movie was ripped off. I mean, I should have guessed knowing Disney's history and the fact they never use original ideas-  but still I did not realize this was based on an actual novel.

Will have to check it out on Kindle.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 12:00:35 PM »
Will have to check it out on Kindle.

Please do. It's a modern classic :)

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 06:30:37 PM »
Yay, another recycled piece of entertainment.
Inka Dinka Doo

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2019, 09:55:55 PM »
101 Dalmatians was also a book...
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2019, 10:46:58 AM »
I read Bambi as a child because I wanted to see the movie but there were no Theaters nearby.  I loved it.  The story of the two leaves still gets to me.  I know they're just leaves, but it's beautiful and so poetic.

I haven't see any of the remakes.  Not sure I'll be interested in this.  But fawns are hard to resist.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2019, 11:28:48 AM »
101 Dalmatians was also a book...

Yes, and I actually love that book!  Though I haven't read the sequel yet.  I should put that on my list...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal