collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Disney will remake Bambi in new Lionking style  (Read 3671 times)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: Disney will remake Bambi in new Lionking style
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2019, 11:32:08 AM »
I'll give the original a read sometime this year.  ^.^ My anxiety makes me not able to do movie theatres at the moment so I certainly haven't been helping this trend any, so I'll wait until this is on DVD or um...haha you know. I'd love to see something a bit more..artistic? Than another shot for shot remake with Air Bud-styled mouths.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2019, 11:34:38 AM »
101 Dalmatians was also a book...

Yes, and I actually love that book!  Though I haven't read the sequel yet.  I should put that on my list...

yesss the sequel is really underrated! I guess cause (to my knowledge) it's never been adapted (although I guess I can see why... it's more fantastical than the original, sort of an odd tonal shift). I like it, though.

Anyway, moving back to the main topic... :yawn: another remake? I'll pass. I'm with Pokeyonekenobie, I want to see something *new*!

Offline Mkia

• Chihuahua Momma
  • Trade Count: (+57)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Flying zebra!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2019, 08:34:35 PM »
Ehhhh no thanks. Wasn’t a huge fan of the lion king remake. Although I am interested to see the live action Lady and the Tramp.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2019, 05:54:03 AM »
The story of the two leaves still gets to me.  I know they're just leaves, but it's beautiful and so poetic.

Right? Everything in the forest was "alive" somehow. Everything had significance and they were all aware of death.
You could see that being animated but put in a "live action" where the goal is to make everything look "real" and show off your CG muscles? No way the poetry is making it into the remake. The old movie had its own poetry in the music and art but how is a ~realistic remake going to tackle that?

Seriously, this is just about Disney showing off their technology and renewing their trademarks, therefore hardening the grip on the source material. This is the company who wanted to trademark a Mexican holiday.
I would love a new adaption of "Bambi" if someone else did it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 05:55:55 AM by Zapper »

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2019, 09:25:24 AM »
Taking a pass on both Lion King and Bambi. I'm fine with the traditional animation...

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2019, 10:05:56 AM »
I’m still waiting for Night on Bald Mountain

Disney Movies that make me cry (animated) and not cry (remake)

Beauty and the Beast original made me cry when the beast “dies” remake didn’t

Both Lion King movies didn’t make me cry

Bambi (had to be taken out of assembly when that sad scene was on), I just hope remake wouldn’t make me cry

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Pinkie21

• Trade Count: (+31)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2019, 02:15:35 PM »
Never read the book because I despise reading, but man that is sorely disappointing (though not surprising) that they’re remaking Bambi.  That was one of my favorite classics, and it’ll be really sad to see it in such a lifeless and ugly form. 

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2019, 05:25:23 PM »
Maybe the new Bambi movie will hew closer to the book.  The new(est) Jungle Book movie actually was way closer to the books than the 1960s movie which I never liked.  I wouldn't say I hate the 60s movie but it's the equivalent of a Dreamworks movie to me.  Fun while you watch it, but nothing under the hood.

It also bugged me how Mowgli was raised by the loving wolf parents, but then the big conflict of the movie is he didn't want to leave . . . Baloo.  Who he met two seconds ago.  So I was actually quite happy with the remake for making the wolves more central to the plot.

Yes, the 101 Dalmatians book is great!  The Disney movie is okay, but I'm sad they cut out Missus / Perdita and the white Persian cat.  (Movie Cruella was a great villain, though.  Probably my favorite part of the movie.)  I read the sequel to the Dalmatians book and, uh . . . not a fan. :P

Not sure if the version of Bambi's Children I read had the original last chapters.  I just remember getting really tired of Deer Wives of the Woods: The Soap Opera.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2019, 03:02:56 AM »
It also bugged me how Mowgli was raised by the loving wolf parents, but then the big conflict of the movie is he didn't want to leave . . . Baloo.  Who he met two seconds ago.

That's because they completely reworked Baloo's character to be nothing but a cool uncle. The Timon and Pumbaa prototype :lol: "Just chill all day, have fun, no worries, no work" kids love.
When in the book he was the wolves strict teacher and respected by them, therefore Mowgli growing up with him and seeing him as part of the pack.

And of course Disney needed a straight man to Baloo's carefree dude so they reworked Bagheera to be this stick in the mud stickler to the rules whom Mowgli finds annoying. So of course he wants to stay with the cool uncle with his own themesong.

I got angry seeing how many people trashed the Serkis movie (that was work in progress before the Disney remake was announced) just because there was no singing Baloo and no funny monkeys.
Fun fact, Disney's Junglebook was one of the most popular movies in Germany ever. It was so popular that people made a huge fuss about the horribad sequel coming out. The sequel was shown in theathers unlike any other direct-to-DVD Disney sequel at that point and 60 year olds would go and see it. Madness :lol:

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2019, 01:52:02 PM »
Meh. Lion King and Jungle Book were the only remakes I've watched, since they're family favourites. I have zero interest in any others.

I work in a library and considering how many books would make wonderful movies, it bothers me that Disney has lost all imagination is just rehashing what they've already done before.
It's mostly down to the nostalgia train, I think. These days, less people than ever before are willing to try new shows and movies. They'd rather stick with what they know, and not bother with anything new.
I mean, to some degree, I understand Disney - why bother with a brand spanking new IP that only a few avid readers have heard about, when you can churn out another Marvel movie and get all that sweet cash with probably less effort?

I still love Owls of Ga'Hoole for example, even though the movie received mixed reviews. But since it didn't do hugely well financially, it's unlikely we'll ever see a sequel to it. That's why I think Disney are more hesitant these days, and would rather keep remaking movies.

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2019, 09:43:50 PM »
On the one hand yeah, but on the other hand Frozen was a new IP for Disney and it made a zillion dollars . . . not just from the movie, but also merchandising.  I still see sooo many toys for it.  You'd think that would make them want to branch out more, find more classic fairy tales to adapt.

Sidenote, even though there are some book-to-Disney-movie adaptations I'm "ehhh" about, they are SO good at adapting fairy tales and making them . . . not be weird or totally nonsensical or horrible.  I watch a lot of direct-to-VHS "cash grab" cartoons where random companies would churn out a video about whatever public domain story Disney was adapting, and generally the closer they hew to the original fairy tale, the worse they are.  Fairy tales are great as their own genre but they don't make great movies without work.

Like, thank you Disney for not having Aladdin spy on Jasmine while she's taking a bath.  Thanks for not having the evil queen make THREE different "I'm a peddler, buy my poisoned goods!" attempts on Snow White, because it makes Snow White look dumb and the queen look inept.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2019, 05:03:06 AM »
Ok, so this isn't about Bambi anymore since Bambi is a novel and not a fairy tale. I also said the author did not wish for his novel to be censored or marketed as a "kids book", while fairy tales are super old and harken back to the middleages and beyond, are a mix of cautionary tales, legends and fireplace stories, so...

Like, thank you Disney for not having Aladdin spy on Jasmine while she's taking a bath.  Thanks for not having the evil queen make THREE different "I'm a peddler, buy my poisoned goods!" attempts on Snow White, because it makes Snow White look dumb and the queen look inept.

I have never ever read a version of Aladdin (that was geared towards kids) where he spied on her bathing. I think it goes without saying that these things should be left out when making a version for 6 year olds :lol:

Mattel was super bold and sneaky by making their daughter of Little Red Riding Hood part wolf, btw. In the French version the wolf is an even more obvious stand-in for predatory males and at one point he asks Little Red
Spoiler
to take off all her clothes and get into bed with him
When I saw that Ever After High Cerise Hood was the daughter of a werewolf I did a doubletake.

I hate a lot of things about certain fairy tales, for once they are so old their politics are often harmful in hindsight. Like Sleeping Beauty being slept with and impregnated against her will.
Or in general, the hero marrying a child, the heroes torturing people, spousal abuse being normal, women having barely any human rights... the list goes on. Why put that in a kid film? I don't have to be thankful for Disney leaving these things out (allthough kissing comatose women is still their bread and butter :lol:)

I am glad my options are not "either Disney or the dollar bin" :lol:
Sadly a lot of good stuff is likely not as easily available as the Disney retellings.

Best animated snow queen adaption is the one from the UDSSR to me.
Best Grimm tales adaptions are old Chech, Russian and German liveactions. My big favorite being a particular version of Schneeweißchen und Rosenrot (Snow White and Rose Red... btw has nothing to do with Schneewittchen, the Snow White with the seven dwarves).
Other beautiful live action adaptions include Shelley Duvall's Faery Tale Theater, the Italian movie series Fantaghiro, Tale of Tales (adult), Jim Henson's The Storyteller, etc.

The Disney Snow White is a good adaption of the Grimm version. I also like their Sleeping Beauty, especially for the art and how they used the music from the ballet (hellooo public domain, we need to save money lol).

But I don't want them to do any more as they are veering more and more from the fairy tales they are based on, trademarking them and gaining full control of the narrative and commercial rights. Fairy tales are a cultural treasure who shouldn't "belong" to a huge company. Fairy tales also have different versions and cultural differences, time period differences... whitewashing them, sugarcoating them is an option but should not become the definitive version of something.

Like, give me the Egyptian version of Cinderella already. B- b - but Cindy should be whiiiite and have no ears! Disney said so! XD
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 05:09:21 AM by Zapper »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2019, 06:47:31 AM »
Disney's Sleeping Beauty was a really faithful adaptation of the fairy tale, which is why I found it boring.  :P  Did not like Aurora and am unsurprised that her dolls are so often labeled "Sleeping Beauty" instead of her name.  The fairies were the best part about the movie, maybe they should have cut out the princess and have one of them fall asleep, ha ha.

Of course the best version of Sleeping Beauty is the 26(?) part series from Mondo World, where they replace the fairies with Captain Planet looking elemental guys who ride a unicorn, a tiger, a wyvern, and a dragon-turtle, but ALL the mounts have unicorn horns.  Then they spend a big portion of the first episode showing shark-riding zombies, who can shoot lasers from their eyes, invading the kingdom.  It's an absolute trip.  :P 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FXiXH8dlZo

Offline melodys_angel

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Thailand Tornado Mountain Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2019, 08:56:31 AM »
Was snow white originally seen as 'too dark' when it was first made?  I think I remember reading that kids were crying?

I was never a big Bambi fan...I think even the Disney version was too sad for me as a kid.  I can understand the unrest with a redo and not staying more in tune with the original novel though.

Aside from a few *scrunch face* that's not how she acts moments, I actually was pleasantly surprised with the beauty and the beast remake.  I want to eventually see lion king and Aladdin.  I think...that's about it.

TY to the respective artists for my Destiny art :)  YAY MA finally managed to re-upload her stuff!

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2019, 09:24:21 AM »
Disney's Sleeping Beauty was a really faithful adaptation of the fairy tale, which is why I found it boring.  :P

They actually added a lot of stuff to that tale. The bickering fairies with opposing personalities and themes, the childish kings, the dark fairy turning into a huge black dragon who tries to kill the prince.
Aurora herself is just a pretty face stumbling through that movie. Maybe that's why the remake of that one centered on Maleficent, one of the most iconic Disney villains (probably) ever :lookround:
Disney themselves know Aurora is a nothing-character. That's why her movie's name is more important than her actual name j/k
I love her character design, tho. If only Disney would release more merch of her in her farmgirl dress. I hate that pink one.

Was snow white originally seen as 'too dark' when it was first made?  I think I remember reading that kids were crying?

I can't answer that. I just know it was a financial gamble and turned out to be a huge success the following Disney movies could not replicate. Lots of people saw Snow White for its technological novelty. It was a bit of a phenomenon.
I watched it when I was really young and the witch and vultures scared me but also I was a kid in the 90s and not the 30s when moving drawn images were still new and exciting and not easy to comprehend for kids.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal