collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do the Retro Remake ponies affect the worth of Vintage ponies?  (Read 2129 times)

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
Re: How do the Retro Remake ponies affect the worth of Vintage ponies?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2019, 01:19:36 PM »
I feel like eventually the retro remakes will become their own collectible line that will just be part of pony collecting on the whole.  Like how some people look specifically for a Hong Kong and a China version of a pony.  They'll just add the Basic Fun version as an alternate version to look for.  Depending on how long the line lasts, they might be considered rare versions in the future.

I agree with this. Personally, I'm more interested in collecting the originals; while I would be happy to have just one version of vintage Cotton Candy, I wouldn't replace one pony in a set with a repro version. I could, however, buy retro ponies in addition to my "actual" collection - and would most likely keep them in their boxes. So for me, they are a completely separate line of collecting. :)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2019, 03:06:36 PM »
I don't think they do even though I want the RR ponies if it came down to 3 of the RR ponies or one original I didn't have I would get the original  but I do like that they are remaking them :)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2019, 06:18:46 AM »
I think they serve a different purpose -- so they don't really compete too much.

I think the mentality of people who have been collecting all along is that they are not vintage.If you have a mint vintage firefly and a mint new retro firefly-- then most people are going to go for the vintage. I feel most collectors might buy them in addition to, and not replacement.

;) I on the other hand would replace my ponies with new ones, if they got to the years that I actually liked. (which they won't.)

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2019, 08:05:16 AM »
I think they serve a different purpose -- so they don't really compete too much.

I think the mentality of people who have been collecting all along is that they are not vintage.If you have a mint vintage firefly and a mint new retro firefly-- then most people are going to go for the vintage. I feel most collectors might buy them in addition to, and not replacement.

;) I on the other hand would replace my ponies with new ones, if they got to the years that I actually liked. (which they won't.)

If they do, we may have to call the retro line G5 ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2019, 12:01:16 PM »
I think the remakes are sufficiently different to be considered completely seperately. However, as has already been said the basic combs are too similar and I'm glad I've collected a lot of original combs already because I can't tell the difference.

It bothers me that the unipegs have rainbow brushes. Especially whichever one it is who has yellow (Sunbeam?) because that's WINDY's brush! O.o.

As a kid Windy was my first pony and somehow I managed from the age of almost three to keep her brush and comb safe in this little bag with some cartoon animal print on it. It was special because it had a rainbow on it and it was the only rainbow brush I had so it needed to be kept safe!

...And basic fun go slap a rainbow sticker on the unipeg brushes. Gahh. So unneeded as well, as brush without sticker is what they came with..?

I'm not sure why Basic Fun added the rainbow stickers to the unicorn/pegasus unless it was just Basic Fun not paying attention or they had a lot of extra rainbow sticker brushes made up and decided to use them instead of the ones without the sticker.

Ponyfan

« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 12:03:26 PM by Ponyfan »

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2019, 01:32:09 PM »
Not sure I'm odd one out but I prefer the vintage ponies for one huge reason: the plastic is softer. I guess to keep costs down the retros have always had those Twinkle Eye bodies. Which is fine if you're just keeping them in boxes.

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2019, 12:49:22 PM »
I think they might be worth a bit more in time as the original plastic on the 80s ponies deteriorates with age.
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal