collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How do the Retro Remake ponies affect the worth of Vintage ponies?  (Read 2100 times)

Offline littletulula

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Smoozed Pony
  • what am i doing
    • View Profile
    • My Art Portfolio
Just looking to discuss some thoughts about this. Firstly, are the remakes worth anything, or do you think they will be worth anything in the future? And to go off of that, would the remakes ever be worth as much as the vintage ponies, or do you think the vintage ponies will always be worth more? Of course there are obvious differences between the ponies, but if you had to choose between either getting a remake of a pony you want, or just getting an older one, what would you choose? I'm just trying to grasp what the overall opinion on this stuff is. I guess I feel like buying the newer remakes is less authentic than buying a vintage one. Do you agree? Do you think someone's collection is less valuable if it consists mostly of remakes?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Signature drawn by me! www.july.gay
Commissions are open! Check my Website for details

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
Re: How do the Retro Remake ponies affect the worth of Vintage ponies?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2019, 04:11:31 PM »
I personally, would pick a remake over the old unless it was my own childhood pony.  I just like minty ponies.  However, That doesn't mean that the older ponies are worth less to others.  I mean, collectors are more likely to be after older ponies because that's what collectors do... they catch them all.  I suspect that many won't want some of one decade and some of another.  Plus, there are some differences. For example, remake Bowtie and Skydancer are darker than the originals. And I prefer lighter Skydancer.

I don't know if non-collectors were really buying original ponies anyway?  So I don't think they're the ones who drive up prices to begin with.  They're probably more interested in the ponies for their kids or just because they remember that particular pony from their own childhood.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 04:17:08 PM »
I don't think it will make too much of a difference and will boil down mostly to which is in better condition.  Like a mint retro will probably be worth more than an original with pen scribbles, and vice versa.

I feel like most collectors aren't that picky and just want a nice pony.

Also, so far most of the ponies they've rereleased have been popular ones, but also pretty common.  Which makes sense because they need non-collectors to remember the ponies and feel nostalgic to make more sales.  Maybe it would be different for collectors if they rereleased Rapunzel (or some other rare, expensive pony) and some collectors would prefer "the real one".  (But I would totally buy the cheaper mint retro, ha ha ha.)

Edit:  I actually am replacing some of my vintage G1s with nicer condition retros.  Not all, though.  Sometimes there's a slight color difference between original and retro . . . I choose whichever one I like better.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 10:09:27 PM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2019, 04:19:36 PM »
Oh not much. Most of the ponies they've picked are very common and cheap.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2019, 09:54:00 PM »
I feel like eventually the retro remakes will become their own collectible line that will just be part of pony collecting on the whole.  Like how some people look specifically for a Hong Kong and a China version of a pony.  They'll just add the Basic Fun version as an alternate version to look for.  Depending on how long the line lasts, they might be considered rare versions in the future.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2019, 11:50:34 PM »
I love how casually you American folk call Firefly etc common and cheap. You really don't know the pain o.O.

...But in a market sense I agree, they don't impact the value of those released so far. For us over here, ten of the ponies currently available as retros were never sold here anyway, so it's nice for people here to not have to break the bank importing them from the US or wherever else.

In terms of who prefers what, that's subjective and depends on individual collectors.

MLP isn't really a value collection in my view. By which I mean some ponies do sell for a lot, but prices move up and down and it's never a guarantee that a pony that's $50 today will stay that price tomorrow. Princess Amethyst/Sparkle is an example of this - her price went up when she appeared on the OC, but has dropped to normal levels now, so many years after it aired.

I personally would always want the original, even if I buy the retro version. I also like the slight differences and I like the whole collector pose set better in their retro shades. But my collection is pretty complete, so I haven't had to make decisions over which I want more.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2019, 07:09:54 AM »
Whoops! Tunnel vision!  >_<

Offline Mareacooda

• Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 09:00:42 AM »
I been collected long time and I see ponies change value due demand, condition and numbers on market.  Its like when Auction or yard sale depends crowd and what customers willing $... I see times like Cotton Candy sell extreme high due bid wars...
I don't think retro change much on market MLPs it may drive original up for period times because collectors get "pony fever" or someone new collecting gone "Pony wild"

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 09:20:12 AM »
I love how casually you American folk call Firefly etc common and cheap. You really don't know the pain o.O.
Ah, the pain of having too many fireflies. I currently am experiencing this...

I don't think retro's will affect the value of G1's too much since they have similar issues to the original gen (coughs, yellowing on scented...). However, if it would increase the value of all earlier year commons I'd be grateful.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 09:22:17 AM »
OTOH Taf, now the ponies of your dreams are in your country for you to buy AND brand spanking new. That's gotta be pretty awesome for you guys.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 09:24:13 AM »
Ah, the pain of having too many fireflies. I currently am experiencing this...

I would take it. ThoughI'd prefer too many Medleys.

@LAW - every time I see them in a store I grin and then arrange them on the shelves so as many of them are showing as possible!
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 09:39:34 AM »
I'm starting to think that the retros are more of a gateway into the collecting world rather than a substitution. Like, how many of the re/introductions in our forum in the past year or so mention the retros pulling them back in to pony fever? Personally, I will still seek out the originals even if I have the retros. I do tend to be a completionist though, so I'm sure there's some people who will get a minty retro and be happy with it. I do tend to prefer the originals, though, especially because I enjoy the thrill of the hunt and the reward of being patient and finding a good deal on an otherwise expensive pony. I guess this answer does depend on why people collect in the first place.
Will the retros be worth as much in the future? Hm. Depends. What with distribution I see plenty of people delighted to pay $30 for a MiB Retro at places like Bronycon, even though that same stand sells the same pony in their bins for half the price. I feel like the first wave/the collector pose ponies will not be worth all that much in the future because they sort of warmed the shelves for a few months. We'll have to see if a magical warehouse find floods the market in the next year or so, because especially with anything released after wave 2/the year 2 rainbow ponies, I could see how they would go up in price simply due to a supply/demand thing. Will there be enough of them out of box to affect MiB prices dramatically? Not sure on that either. I'm thinking a G3-ish thing might happen (although G3 hasn't quite matured as a collectable yet so here's a salt shaker to go with my theory) and because so many of them are just kept in the box, there will be a minute/less dramatic difference between MiB and loose prices.
Your final question comes back to my thing about why people collect. It is not as exciting to me to buy a retro online as it is to get one in the store. It is not as exciting to me to buy a retro in the store as it is to find an original while thrifting or at a flea. If people are in it for the hunt, it will always feel less authentic. But, if you're in it for something on the shelf/just want the pony without the trouble/don't want to spend all that cash, sure! The retros would be wonderful for that.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline gabumon

• Daddy Sweet Celebrations
  • Trade Count: (+92)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • mostly papercrafting
    • View Profile
    • Netroids
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2019, 11:25:21 AM »
Ya I know we love ponies and they are valuable in our eyes but MLP isn’t really something you “Invest” in for the long term.  Yes Ice Crystal can cost $90 but in the scheme of all things collectible that’s so little.  Like we aren’t taking about collectible vintage muscle cars or precious gems or jewelry.  So just saying MLP isn’t really something you get into “for the money”.  People sometimes thing “vintage toy$$$” but that’s not really the case.

it’s all for fun! and pure love of ponies!!

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2019, 12:17:47 PM »
I think the remakes are sufficiently different to be considered completely seperately. However, as has already been said the basic combs are too similar and I'm glad I've collected a lot of original combs already because I can't tell the difference.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2019, 12:58:53 PM »
I think the remakes are sufficiently different to be considered completely seperately. However, as has already been said the basic combs are too similar and I'm glad I've collected a lot of original combs already because I can't tell the difference.

It bothers me that the unipegs have rainbow brushes. Especially whichever one it is who has yellow (Sunbeam?) because that's WINDY's brush! O.o.

As a kid Windy was my first pony and somehow I managed from the age of almost three to keep her brush and comb safe in this little bag with some cartoon animal print on it. It was special because it had a rainbow on it and it was the only rainbow brush I had so it needed to be kept safe!

...And basic fun go slap a rainbow sticker on the unipeg brushes. Gahh. So unneeded as well, as brush without sticker is what they came with..?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal