collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What to do about image theft in this modern day and age...  (Read 4565 times)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
Re: What to do about image theft in this modern day and age...
« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2019, 10:03:56 AM »
Ugh, I thought I changed it to enable comments! I did just change my theme yesterday, I'll fix it again.  :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2019, 07:50:17 PM »
Directly linking to someone else's image usually doesn't work on Tumblr.  I used to try to do this for showing, like, Basic Fun pony pics from Target.com.  These days I just download them and re-upload so I don't end up with a weird mess in my post.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Wildshadow

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Favorites of all time? Surprise, Danny and Spike!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/kriticosium/
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2019, 10:11:41 AM »
Just UGH! Sucks all around =( I feel your pain.

Though sometimes I wonder if I should feel my pain at all cause it feels like i'm being petty wanting credit with sharing the information about the kids last name  :redface:

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2019, 10:33:00 AM »
Just UGH! Sucks all around =( I feel your pain.

Though sometimes I wonder if I should feel my pain at all cause it feels like i'm being petty wanting credit with sharing the information about the kids last name  :redface:

Yeah...
It's not so much about credit. It's more about taking and brazenly claiming credit, rather than the fact they didn't link or ask. It's a manners question. Modern internet has none. Basically I'm probably old and grumpy, but if being old and grumpy also means having integrity then I'll take it.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2019, 12:25:47 PM »

eh, I wouldn't say that's too petty. I mean it's a pretty big revelation and we'd have no idea about it if it wasn't for you! Obviously it's probably unrealistic to expect people'll credit ya every time the name comes up but nope, I don't think it's petty to expect a tip of the hat every now and then. If that makes sense.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2019, 01:43:50 PM »

eh, I wouldn't say that's too petty. I mean it's a pretty big revelation and we'd have no idea about it if it wasn't for you! Obviously it's probably unrealistic to expect people'll credit ya every time the name comes up but nope, I don't think it's petty to expect a tip of the hat every now and then. If that makes sense.

At the risk of sounding even more old and grumpy, I have long since given up hoping for any kind of credit for anything I contributed to the pony community. Pretty much nobody is left who remembers anyway.

At the very least I'd settle for the information being correct, but even that hope has started to die. You have no idea how souldestroying it is when you spend 20 years putting together UK information and get someone citing a site at you and it isn't even right.

So maybe on reflection that's also a part of why this irked me so much. Not because I want credit, but that we've reached such a low that not only is all the work I've done irrelevant, my site is now just a site to steal images from and reblog to get hits. And that stings quite a lot. I think if it had been reblogged at least for information purposes I might make peace with it. But to get someone attention and reblogs is just scraping the barrel.

Maybe I'm also petty. But oh well. If I am, it's tough.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Wildshadow

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Favorites of all time? Surprise, Danny and Spike!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/kriticosium/
« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2019, 02:23:15 PM »

At the risk of sounding even more old and grumpy, I have long since given up hoping for any kind of credit for anything I contributed to the pony community. Pretty much nobody is left who remembers anyway.

At the very least I'd settle for the information being correct, but even that hope has started to die. You have no idea how souldestroying it is when you spend 20 years putting together UK information and get someone citing a site at you and it isn't even right.

So maybe on reflection that's also a part of why this irked me so much. Not because I want credit, but that we've reached such a low that not only is all the work I've done irrelevant, my site is now just a site to steal images from and reblog to get hits. And that stings quite a lot. I think if it had been reblogged at least for information purposes I might make peace with it. But to get someone attention and reblogs is just scraping the barrel.

Maybe I'm also petty. But oh well. If I am, it's tough.

Nope you aren't petty, you deserve all the recognition. You put time into your site and everything (my mind can't think of words to use).  All your hard work shouldn't be reduced to re-blogging  :tackleglomp:

I'm horrible with putting thoughts into words...My petty feeling was about being in the pony community for ages and the one thing I could contribute was one word of a last name  :redface:

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2019, 03:03:04 PM »
I'm horrible with putting thoughts into words...My petty feeling was about being in the pony community for ages and the one thing I could contribute was one word of a last name  :redface:

Hey, more interesting than anything I could contribute! :) I love all the production stuff you post, I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff.

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2019, 03:20:23 PM »
I think the part bugs me more than the image theft is said person claiming these items are in their collection.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2019, 03:23:48 PM »
I think the part bugs me more than the image theft is said person claiming these items are in their collection.

Yeah. That bugs me too.

At least credit it as Hasbro's image.

Nope you aren't petty, you deserve all the recognition. You put time into your site and everything (my mind can't think of words to use).  All your hard work shouldn't be reduced to re-blogging  :tackleglomp:

:hug: But your contributions are like Carrehz says. The thing is we all contribute stuff to the community. I just get grumpy and salty about it when half the things I contributed have vanished because mainstream websites are too lazy to include them. xD.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2019, 03:25:44 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2019, 09:06:18 AM »
Is it possible they found it on the web and by "mine" they meant who uploaded it to site? Still not right what-so-ever but might be the answer.

What's weird is this same person was ranting about copy right themselves, then to turn around and do it themselves is pretty gross. 

And its not like its Pinterest. Its tumblr. Tumblr is for original work or at least credited and linked work.

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2019, 09:29:25 AM »
Basically I'm probably old and grumpy, but if being old and grumpy also means having integrity then I'll take it.

:thumb:
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2019, 10:38:02 AM »
Is it possible they found it on the web and by "mine" they meant who uploaded it to site? Still not right what-so-ever but might be the answer.

What's weird is this same person was ranting about copy right themselves, then to turn around and do it themselves is pretty gross. 

And its not like its Pinterest. Its tumblr. Tumblr is for original work or at least credited and linked work.

The only place that image was prior to the IG post was my website. I don't for one minute suppose this person was browsing my website and thought, I'll take this, probably it came from a google search. But google helpfully tells you the source of the image when you search and click on it, so it's not like it's an unknown origin.

But even if that was the case, the bottom line is that it isn't my copyright either, it's Hasbro's. But the difference is that my site credits its source and origin. By taking it and reposting it without any of that information, it's not just trampling on my website, but also on the actual origin of the image. I mean, it should be obvious to anyone looking at it that that's where it's from, but still.

Whether the origin aspect is or isn't automatic to IG seems debateable depending on your browser, but the tags are kind of unambiguous in terms of intent.

@Artie :D Yep :hug:
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline caseysealia

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2019, 01:03:15 PM »

The only place that image was prior to the IG post was my website. I don't for one minute suppose this person was browsing my website and thought, I'll take this, probably it came from a google search. But google helpfully tells you the source of the image when you search and click on it, so it's not like it's an unknown origin.

But even if that was the case, the bottom line is that it isn't my copyright either, it's Hasbro's. But the difference is that my site credits its source and origin. By taking it and reposting it without any of that information, it's not just trampling on my website, but also on the actual origin of the image. I mean, it should be obvious to anyone looking at it that that's where it's from, but still.

Whether the origin aspect is or isn't automatic to IG seems debateable depending on your browser, but the tags are kind of unambiguous in terms of intent.

@Artie :D Yep :hug:
Yeah and by not providing a source it makes it hard for people who would of been interested in viewing your site too. Even though the image belongs to Hasbro it was still you who went out of your way to post it and give info. It wasn't fair for them to tag your work as theirs.
Maybe they did get from google but it wasn't sourced and they assumed it was "public" to post anywhere? Still shouldn't have tagged it as "mine" though, and at least should of sourced it as Hasbro's, by not again, makes it hard for the viewer to get that info. Sad that they just disappeared. I remember this person had been in a scandal involving a friend stealing her book idea then claiming it as hers, so you'd think someone who was involved in that wouldn't do the same.
Any other site and I'd report it but this is tumblr we're talking about. Sorry you had to deal with that.  :hug: As an artist the thought of stolen and claimed content upsets me.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2019, 01:08:43 PM by caseysealia »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2019, 01:12:14 PM »
Thank you :)

Unfortunately this is the world we live in now, with pictures getting exchanged around the internet like this.

I don't know the person involved or anything else about them, just that it annoyed me.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal