collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: What to do about image theft in this modern day and age...  (Read 4521 times)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: What to do about image theft in this modern day and age...
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2019, 01:16:57 PM »
oooh, what annoys me about them allowing to use stock images is when it's something that has multiple cover designs, like a book or DVD, since people don't always pick the right stock photo... it's annoying if you're looking for a particular cover. :p
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2019, 01:52:07 PM »
Ahh, very rampant on Tumblr nowadays. I'm sure it's on every social media site (PINTEREST for sure), but there sure is a lot of questionable image using going on. Especially with things such as Moodboards or Stimboards, I've seen plenty of gifs of slime/clay/etc videos used without credit to the original video it came from, or moodboards with images that I've seen everywhere but am doubtful of the sort of usage license it has.
That's what grinds my gears the most. There are plenty of sites that compile pictures that are free to use without credit, and there's one very popular post going around that lists a bunch of these sites, but not everyone will use them. Sigh.
Also noting that Tumblr DOES allow you to link to external site images in the imagepost itself. Like, with the image hosting link from wherever you got it. I blog aesthetics mostly and have linked to a few posts from ebay auctions or something like Zulily. It USED to list the post source as ebay but it looks like it no longer does? I was going to propose that as an option that could be used but it looks like sources will now have to be written into the posts. Here's my test post in case someone wanted to prove me otherwise (I linked the sauce just in case).

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline PinkieLopBun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2019, 01:57:52 PM »
Ahh, very rampant on Tumblr nowadays. I'm sure it's on every social media site (PINTEREST for sure), but there sure is a lot of questionable image using going on. Especially with things such as Moodboards or Stimboards, I've seen plenty of gifs of slime/clay/etc videos used without credit to the original video it came from, or moodboards with images that I've seen everywhere but am doubtful of the sort of usage license it has.
That's what grinds my gears the most. There are plenty of sites that compile pictures that are free to use without credit, and there's one very popular post going around that lists a bunch of these sites, but not everyone will use them. Sigh.
Also noting that Tumblr DOES allow you to link to external site images in the imagepost itself. Like, with the image hosting link from wherever you got it. I blog aesthetics mostly and have linked to a few posts from ebay auctions or something like Zulily. It USED to list the post source as ebay but it looks like it no longer does? I was going to propose that as an option that could be used but it looks like sources will now have to be written into the posts. Here's my test post in case someone wanted to prove me otherwise (I linked the sauce just in case).
It looks like Tumblr now takes the image and reuploads it to their site.
https://66.media.tumblr.com/662bbf4d949c12fc09594134b3cec92a/tumblr_pw3b50kdVY1vae594o1_1280.jpg
Follow me on Twitter and Tumblr.

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2019, 02:10:23 PM »
What that tells me is you can link to and credit the actual source...as tailrustedtealeaf's posting shows it further down.

So the blogger had a choice to not do this.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2019, 06:02:06 AM »
I read that if you upload an image, it'll say it's source is the blog.

I just wanted to add the #mine tag just appears to be for content that the blogger had uploaded -- as opposed to a reblog. They had put their own little watermark on their own personal images.

So it's probably a case of they had downloaded the image and didn't remember the source. And just didn't make comment it. (which happens a lot when people just save images throughout the years). Not that it makes it better. I just want to clarify it doesn't seem like the person was saying "I scanned this image personally".

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2019, 07:04:06 AM »
But with reverse search on google it is easy to now verify such things.

Editing this post as showing is easier than telling.

Spoiler

First hit my page. Second the blog. Third and fourth Pinterest.

That took me literally ten seconds of reverse image seaching. Probably less.

If you click on the first image in the list, you get this information.

Spoiler

That took me all of fifteen seconds. That included print screening and uploading the print screens to post them here.

In short, it's really easy to verify a source, as that just proves.

I don;t know why the dimensions on Pinterest are different and whether it matters, because Pinterest is a mysterious website thing to me in how it gathers images. But it looks a lot like it was saved off my site directly, from the size of the two images.

I suspect the person knew it came from somewhere else but didn't care, because all images are open season these days to some people.

In any case, #mine is unambiguous. If you don't know the source, you don't tag it as mine. That's trying to take credit for it in some way. At the very least it should be credited to Hasbro Germany.

Hasbro isn't mentioned in her tags, but #mine and #collection are. Even if you are right about the source tag being out of her control, the other tags still consciously an attempt to claim the image. You don't put #mine and #collection for something #randomly found on the internet #cute picture #hasbro germany.

You posted while I was editing for clarity.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 07:29:21 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2019, 07:21:50 AM »
I'm not sure what you think I'm trying to convince you of but, I was trying to explain the tag and the source thing. As you stated "with the active claim that they are the source".

There's really no rules of the internet. People are going to do what they want, just like IRL. I tended to leave my car door unlocked at night, since I didn't really live in a bad area, and one night after 8 years someone took something out of my car. Well. Whatever. It's like that. People aren't going to follow random "internet laws" that don't exist.

Also the original post doesn't even show a link to ebay anymore with the current template (when yesterday it said sauce -- with a link to ebay).
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 07:24:51 AM by banditpony »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2019, 07:29:58 AM »

I am sure someone stealing from inside your car is still considered a crime and technically someone should be held accountable.

This isn't quite the same as it's not my artwork and it's Hasbro's image.

But whether there are or are not internet rules, there is etiquette, and there is integrity. And you don't just steal something and pass it off as belonging to you, no matter what the context. It's never right, whether or not there are people to police it.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2019, 07:32:35 AM »
But whether there are or are not internet rules, there is etiquette, and there is integrity. And you don't just steal something and pass it off as belonging to you, no matter what the context. It's never right, whether or not there are people to police it.

Sure. And not everyone follows etiquette. That's just how humans are. Some good. Some bad. Lots inbetween.

Offline PinkieLopBun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2019, 07:36:07 AM »
Also the original post doesn't even show a link to ebay anymore with the current template (when yesterday it said sauce -- with a link to ebay).

I don't know why it's not showing up on desktop (maybe it's the theme?), but it still shows up on the app.

Sure. And not everyone follows etiquette. That's just how humans are. Some good. Some bad. Lots inbetween.
That doesn't mean they should be allowed to not follow etiquette.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 07:38:22 AM by PinkiePie97 »
Follow me on Twitter and Tumblr.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2019, 07:58:03 AM »

Yeah, but you aren't really helping by making those kinds of comments. It just comes over like you think I'm an idiot, seriously. We already all know that. We already all know that these things happen.

I can't change the whole internet and I'm not trying to. All I can do is complain about it and bring it to people's attention.

I don't like image thieves. I don't see a justification for them and I don't think you do either, given your earlier comments.

I can't stop this person or anyone else taking images and using them in other places. Mine is a minor thing because it's a Hasbro image originally. But this kind of casual theft is a step on the same ladder as the other examples of claiming other people's artwork and worse things. And those really hurt people in a much more serious way.

I don't think it's ever bad to remind other people that every image on the internet was put there by someone, and it's just general good manners to know/acknowledge who before you repost it. Especially since such things on the net are strongly unregulated and require human integrity to prevent bad things from happening.

So everyone is clear, I don't believe it's a malicious attack on me or that the person even thought twice about the origin or my website when they posted it. It's really possible they just googled and found it, though it doesn't come up under German Rainbow Ponies, only Regenbogen Ponys, so who knows. I don't take it as a personal insult because I don't know this person and it's not.

However, I have a real problem with people telling lies. And for me, not calling it out is the same condoning it, so I'm calling it out. It's wrong. Whether the internet agrees or not is irrelevant. It's still wrong.

And irrespective of the fact it's not personal, her tags give away the intention to claim the image as her own. #mine #collection, not #hasbro #advert kind of highlights that.

Completely off topic but it just started chucking it down with rain so hard it sounds like pigeons are trying to eat my window.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 08:00:20 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2019, 08:09:02 AM »
I, again, ask you not to start saying that I think you are an idiot.

I was trying to explain in this content it appears the #mine tag looks like it was just for content that the owner had uploaded, rather then reblogging. I know it looks otherwise.

They obviously didn't source it, or try to source it, or say they didn't know where it came for, or just cared. But I can't just be like "I'm sorry" without trying to add some additional insight.. and which was addressing the thing that bothered you most about the posting of that image.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 08:13:14 AM by banditpony »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2019, 08:13:01 AM »
I, again, ask you not to start saying that I think you are an idiot.

I was trying to explain in this content it appears the #mine tag looks like it was just for content that the owner had uploaded, rather then reblogging. I know it looks otherwise.

They obviously didn't source it, or try to source it, or say they didn't know where it came for, or just cared. But I can't just be like "I'm sorry" without trying to add some additional insight.

In this case, you sound like you're trying to defend her. Which given your other comments, I know you're not. So the other conclusion is that you think I don't understand it, when I do.

Like I said before, I know the risks and the realities. I'm not a great fan of all the social media things but I do know how the internet (doesn't) work with stuff like that. I've been running my website for better or worse for 20 years now. I've learned a few things and been burned a few times along the way.

Just because I don't like that something is the case doesn't mean I don't know that it is.

You may be right about #mine on it's own, but #mine and #collection both?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 08:14:40 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2019, 08:15:22 AM »
explaining what a tag means =/= defending.

^ I wouldn't personally use #mine for something that wasn't fully mine.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 08:18:04 AM by banditpony »

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2019, 08:17:43 AM »
explaining what a tag means =/= defending.

Yeah, I was just editing my post to take that out since I already said you weren't defending her and then I said you were and it sounded weird. You reply too quickly xD.

Either way, though, without the person themselves coming to explain it, it's hard to know for sure. But for me it's someone who found an image they liked, wanted to blog it...and decided to claim it as they didn't know, remember or care where it came from...

And that was really loud thunder....I'm sure storms weren't forecast today.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal