collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Alright - what G1's do you dislike?  (Read 7384 times)

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Alright - what G1's do you dislike?
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2019, 04:23:50 PM »
I think what happened is that MLP wasn't the Number One Brand New Fad anymore, and Hasbro had to get more competitive and attract attention to keep the line going.  Like, if a gimmick sounded like an amazing attention grabber for a 30 second commercial then it was in, lol.

Speaking of gimmicks I don't like:  Dance 'n Prance ponies.  Okay, it is very amusing watching them judder around.  But I can't get over the GIANT KNOB embedded in their chests.  Also their plastic usually has this gross grungy look, not sure why.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2019, 04:37:59 PM »
So softs ugh. There's no way those things were ever going to age well. I hate flocked toys.

Candy canes too - I don't like curly hair, and their hair doesn't look very good straight. Also, scents that discolor them. I know the sundae bests and sweetberries are scented too, but I like their colors/themes better and I feel the candy canes get discolroed the worst.

Those 2 sets with hair that changes color in the sun - they're near impossible to find with good hair.

But by far the worst offenders are the dance n prances - I just can't get past the fact that 2 of them are supposed to be pegasi!!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline glitterball

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Be kind and sparkly!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2019, 01:20:34 AM »
BBE - creepy. Nope, still not used to them  :bolt:

The awkward pose of CJ, Tootsie etc - they look like they were caught-out in the middle of doing something!
(I love the green Tootsie colour-way, though. Turquoises + pale greens are a winner with me!)

Another awkward pose that someone here described as a turkey-leg: that of poor Moondancer and also the wobbly Quackers pose.

Intact Flutters are lovely, but they seem to put out an aloof vibe when compared the the gentleness of the earlier G1s.

Side note: would Basic Fun ever consider releasing CJ etc but in alternative poses?
Common ponies in alt poses would get the collectors interested in buying the otherwise ignored, common second-hand G1s?  :hope: :think: :dribble:

Offline ridi

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Depends Pony
  • Bug whisperer
    • View Profile
    • Swellpage.com
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2019, 03:31:23 AM »
Jumping on the train of not really liking BBEs and baby ponies with humanized baby gimmicks :s

Wishlist

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2019, 06:28:26 AM »
I wouldn't want BF to make retros in alternative poses.  Moondancer's pose isn't the most popular, but Moondancer was my first pony and I loved her in it.  I'm glad they made her in the pose I remembered.  The people who had Tootsie or Cherries Jubilee as a kid deserve to have that same experience.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2019, 08:37:16 PM »
(part 2)

Secret Surprise Ponies, they just creep me out. I mean, what is supposed to be the in-universe explanation for their anatomy? Are they some sort of cyborgs with robotic torsos equipped with a "secret compartment"? Or do they have a split spine of sorts that allows them to hide things in their bodies under the saddle? Or maybe they are just some sort of sentient pony staues that can talk, kind of like golems?

Dance & Prance Ponies, for a reason similar to above. I mean, I do like the gimmick, but how do they explain it in-universe that those ponies have a literal giant knob sticking out of their neck? Couldn't Hasbro be just a little more creative and at least make it into some sort of a circular brooch on necklaces they wear or something?

Then there are Princess Ponies, whom I loved in the cartoon but always had mixed feelings about their toys. For one thing, their symbols look like pieces of metal permanently bolted to their bodies, and those aluminum (?) streaks in their hair never seem to have aged well judging by how horrid they look in pretty much every PP picture I've seen so far.

On the other hand, I may be one of the few ones who actually like Drink & Wet ponies. I mean yeah, their rudimentary gastrointestinal tracts are kind of weird, but their faces are just adorable, like they were singing a little song! Plus if you are creative you may actually find interesting uses for their unorthodox anatomy - like with four D&W ponies and some DIY skills you can get yourself a cute MLP spitting fountain, or you can use a syringe to make them smoke a cigarette.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline BubbleTea

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Must Collect Horses
Re: Alright - what G1\'s do you dislike?
« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2019, 10:03:26 PM »
IMO not all toys should have an in-universe explanation for their gimmicks. Princess ponies have pretty jewel symbols. Secret Surprise ponies are just mlp keypers (although what does bother me about them are how big they are. They don't look right next to other ponies. They're kinda the same size but not quite  -_-.) Dance and Prance ponies....could have been better designed. I guess they were counting on the fact that the boa would cover the knob? I like their gimmick but those knobs could have been more discreet...

Post Merge: August 17, 2019, 10:41:48 PM

I have to confess the big brothers are not my cup of tea.

IT'S ABOUT TIME SOMEBODY SAID IT.

I do not like that the big brothers are in different poses from the regular mares because sexual dimorphism is pretty much nonexistent in horses. But I guess hasbro just had to make them physically different in some way other than Breyer's. I also REALLY really hate that they went and made the boys a different breed? Like, Draft horse =/= stallion. (Also, tons of people seem to think that all draft breeds/horses with feathered feet are all clydesdales and I'm just like,,,,,,,,,no. )

That's why I consider the family friends & family babies ponies to be the best way to portray male ponies. And g2s.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 11:01:39 PM by BubbleTea »
Sigs by SquarePeg and starrynights
:nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

Offline Shy Violet

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2019, 12:36:20 AM »
I dislike Dance and Prance, Ballerinas and BBE ponies.

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2019, 09:29:02 AM »
Sundae Best.

Weird poses and poisonous smells. Also insipid, wishy washy colour schemes and symbols that are basically variations of the same inedible looking thing in a bowl or cone.

Not a fan.
At one time I had 5 Banana Surprises. She was like a plague...

I have very little love for Parasol. You'd think after having a good dozen of her at one time that she would have rubbed off on me. Nopes.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline Mysticmints

• Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2019, 06:22:51 PM »
-teeny tiny ponies
-drink n wet was just... ????????????
-birthflower ponies, theyre all the same??
-argentina gingerbread, green haired variant
-great hair ponies
-soft sleepy newborns
-flower fantasy ponies

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2019, 05:54:08 AM »
Teenie Tinies
Glittery Sweetheart Sisters
Pretty Pony SHS
Flower Swirls
The MO Wedding Set
Lucky Posed Ponies
Great Hairs
Hair-Dos
Babies Billy, Katie and Susie
The Meadowsweets
The Bright Bouquets
The School Ponies and Babies (barring Music Time and Baby Pictures)
SDCC Majesty
Milky Way

« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 05:56:43 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Glitter Yolk

• Depends Pony
  • Researching fakies, as always
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2019, 06:09:43 AM »
I don't really like:

Babies
Seaponies
Wingers
SHS
Ballerinas
So Softs

Offline caseysealia

• Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2019, 06:39:27 AM »
Dance n Prances
Happy Tails
Second set of Rainbows (besides Confetti and Starflower, more so the Basic Fun releases)
Skyflyer
Baby grafitti
Of course I still plan on getting these ponies, and I'll probably love them IRL. (that tends to be how it goes-it isn't until I get them that I adore them)

« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 06:53:02 AM by caseysealia »

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2019, 07:22:58 AM »
Moondancer's Pose, Mimic's Pose, BBEs
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2019, 07:59:25 AM »
Sundae Best.

Weird poses and poisonous smells. Also insipid, wishy washy colour schemes and symbols that are basically variations of the same inedible looking thing in a bowl or cone.

Not a fan.
At one time I had 5 Banana Surprises. She was like a plague...

I have very little love for Parasol. You'd think after having a good dozen of her at one time that she would have rubbed off on me. Nopes.

I had to give away Banana Surprise and Sorbet Surprise/Sherbet at one point, because every one I sold I ended up somehow with 2 more. I know there's someone still in the community who has one of them, and reminded me of it a while back...

I also agree with LM on the poses and the retros.

As a kid I had Snowflake and CJ and hated that pose, but because a lot of the ponies I liked characterwise were also in it (Magic Star, Bright Eyes), I realised I had to kind of work out some kind of peace with it.

The weird thing is that when I got online and saw the SS Magic Star for the first time she just looked so wrong to me. Not the flocking, that would have been fine - but the pose. Even now, I have her, but cannot associate her to the character from my childhood. I like the rearing pose, but only on the others (Truly and Skippy). Everything about it on MS is alien to me.

So ugly pose or whatever, I'd rather they kept CJ's how it was originally.

Though if they wanted to make one special set of alternative poses just for kicks as WELL, I wouldn't complain...
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 08:03:02 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal