collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Was there ever a UK Collectors guide book made?  (Read 2197 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Was there ever a UK Collectors guide book made?
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2019, 01:41:57 PM »
I don't disagree with what you're saying. I certainly have all that information for this country at least, and more. I have a lot of UK material not on my website, too.

In the early days, my website did do that, but I got so sick of some of my childhood ponies being called US ponies, or being told by people that I couldn't possibly have had silver star Milky Way as a kid because Europe had the white star version that it became necessary to contextualise.

But I also agree that my site as it currently is is tied too much to the US timeline and I don't like it either. I am hoping to do something about that, but it depends a little bit on circumstances outside my control right now. I just feel like if I'm going to keep going with this site, it needs to be centred around  the UK timeline a lot more.

I'm also really interested in what was going on in other European countries but that's even more difficult to piece together, especially now. And Europe is not one composite block for ponies, either. Every country or group of countries had different stuff going on.

I've been doing the UK information thing since 1995, when I corresponded with Hasbro UK. That's what - 24 years?  It was before I was even online. When you write to Hasbro now they just give you a generic copy paste response. I suspect Hasbro US knows a lot more than the UK branch does now, given how MLP is these days, but it makes it hard to know where to begin researching other places.

The US version of pony collecting is still the only one considered valid by a lot of collector people, from all over the world. That's pretty hard to go up against when looking for details about a different narrative. Even though the US line (and I mean US, not necessarily Canada) is also the most straight forward and easy MLP release to understand, and all the mysteries are in other places - it's kind of sad how many people no longer care.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal