collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLP:FiM Season 9, Episode 14 - "The Last Laugh"  (Read 1089 times)

Offline TJgamer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
MLP:FiM Season 9, Episode 14 - "The Last Laugh"
« on: August 09, 2019, 11:33:09 PM »
Well, we're at FiM's final stretch now.
Judging by both my opinions and those of others, this episode is almost unanimously seen as "okay".
It's not great, but it's not awful either.
It is nice to see Cheese Sandwich again. Weird Al is just a gem.  :biggrin:
Even Sans Smirk I kinda liked. He may be cold and calculated, but he is caring and supportive.
I did like how they explored some of the aspects of comedy, particularly with the fact that there are people that have a hard time laughing unless others around them are laughing. A bit like myself actually.  :|
Some of the jokes, while not really making me burst out in laughter, were pretty clever in their own right; like the banana peel that slips into you.
All that said, I get the feeling many have the same issue they did with "Applejack's Day Off", where most of the episode is rather underwhelming. Though I think it works better here since that is the point of the story.
Also I wasn't fully onboard with Pinkie needing to find her "life's purpose". It felt a bit forced, like they only included it because fans have been asking what her goal is. Also, wow, way to throw shade at AJ like that.  >_<
Personally, I don't think a character needs a life goal in order to be interesting. It depends on the kind of story you're telling.
Lastly, the song was nice...on it's own. But it sounds too similar to the songs we got in Pinkie Pride.

All in all, it was alright. Take it or leave it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 09:29:32 AM by TJgamer »
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

Offline Ariana

• Trade Count: (+193)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
Re: MLP:FiM Season 9, Episode 14 - "The Last Laugh"
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 07:50:36 AM »
I thought it was terrible! And Pinkie Pride was one of my fav episodes EVER of G4!!!

I didn't like the songs, and Pinkie didn't even find a purpose in the end! Poor Pinkie... :cry:
Follow my SFW pony tumblr: http://yodawgiheardyoulikeponies.tumblr.com/
Trade/sale list and wishlist:
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,371182.0.html
My MLP Youtube Channel:

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 09:06:49 AM »
The factory gave me the creeps.

The show is basically over and I still haven't gotten used to the idea of 20th century industry existing alongside magical forests and places like Tartarus :lol:

As for Pinkie's goal... I thought she was already a hero, party planner, baker, songstress and shopgirl? What else is she gonna have to be? This was a weird attempt to wrap up her nonexisting character arc, imo.

"Sans Smirk" is my new favorite G4 pony name. It has a nice ring to it and it's punny.

Since I spoiled myself on all the next episodes to come I had seen it weeks ago and I think "underwhelming" best describes it. I have no desire to rewatch, not even for Weird Al.

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 03:04:10 PM »
I think "underwhelming" is the perfect way to describe this.  I've long since burned out on the Mane 6's shticks, and so an episode that's full on Pinkie was more annoying than entertaining.  I'm sick of the voice, I'm sick of the "humor", and I'm even sick of the stomach medicine shade of pink she is.

However, Cheese Sandwich was so boring to watch even when he got his laugh back.  The song was pathetic.  I mean, having seen Milo Murphy's Law, Weird Al is a talented actor and the writer of this show just don't know how to use him.  Though, these are the same people who wasted William Shatner, so I guess that's not too surprising.  Just sad.  It's looking like this show will go out with a whimper.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 03:53:26 PM »
This was an AMAZING episode!

It's always driven me crazy that people insist that each character needs some lifelong goal to strive towards and eventually achieve, because that's not true to life - many people, such as myself, don't follow one dream throughout their life and make that into their career. Sometimes you just find what you love and stick with it - exactly as Pinkie did. It's something I never, ever would've imagined they'd address in the show, and I'm so incredibly happy with how they handled it.

The song was... alright, but I've never been crazy about Weird Al so I didn't expect to be wowed.

Overall, wonderful moral, wonderful episode, wonderful sendoff for Pinkie Pie!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Mermaid

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 07:16:31 PM »
This one fell flat for me. Which is a shame because I love cheese sandwich!
I really wish instead they would have had pinkie plan celestial or Luna’s birthday party and be so baffled by them and their likes that she enlists cheese to help. Now that would have been an episode!
Thanks to calico star for my avatar!

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2019, 07:37:45 AM »
I really wish instead they would have had pinkie plan celestial or Luna’s birthday party and be so baffled by them and their likes that she enlists cheese to help. Now that would have been an episode!

But then they wouldn't have to bring back a celebrity voice!! I really wish they would have scrapped Patton Oswalt and Weird Al and used the money to bring back at least one of the movie characters. Best one would have been Skystar because Kristin Chenoweth can't be that expensive and the seaponies/gryphons are still present in the show.
Invite PRINCESS Skystar to princess Luna's birthday party and make her meet up with Pinkie again. Pinkie was her go-to pony in the movie. It's not that hard and it would inspire some kids to buy the last Skystar items in stores.

Hasbro, we would all be happy to work for you as advisors :lol:

Offline Al-1701

• G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2019, 03:01:41 AM »
But bronies love Quibble and Cheese Sandwich.  We got to cater to them in the farewell season.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline TJgamer

• Colorswirl Pony
  • An open-minded adventurer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 10:35:20 AM »
But bronies love Quibble and Cheese Sandwich.  We got to cater to them in the farewell season.
I'm willing to bet a lot of kids loved these two characters, especially Cheese.
They: You're too old to watch that show!
Me: Can't hear ya, I'm asleep.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 10:59:43 AM »
I'm willing to bet a lot of kids loved these two characters, especially Cheese.

But do they love them more than Skystar and Sia pony? Tempest Shadow was popular, too since she was all over that movie and had her own song and story.
Where is all the Quibble merch if he is so beloved? ;) A tan and grey pony that mopes all the time popular with kids?

I'll give you Cheese Sandwich since he is fun in Pinkie Pride.

Offline StarSwirl05

• Pearlized G3 Prototype Pony
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Njyugioh
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2019, 12:08:49 PM »
It was hard to sit through. All the cheap gags and having Cheese Sandwich working where he doesn't belong.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal