collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G2 McDonalds Sealed Display Unit (PICTURE HEAVY)  (Read 1244 times)

Offline Rodneytheponydude

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Smoozed Pony
  • Im the most rootin tootin cowboy in the wild west!
    • View Profile
G2 McDonalds Sealed Display Unit (PICTURE HEAVY)
« on: August 06, 2019, 11:49:19 AM »
Hey all. A while ago i said that i managed to get a sealed G2 MLP Mcdonalds display unit; and since the UK weather has been good i took pictures and i thought you would all like to see this unique piece i got! I did send this to moonbreeze to be put on Lavender Lagoon; breaking down the individual parts to the display so here yall go!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
IMG_20190619_124419 by Rodney ThePonyDude, on Flickr

This is the exterior box; it is intact and seems to be what wouldve been delivered to mcdonalds store at the time the set was released!

IMG_20190619_124651 by Rodney ThePonyDude, on Flickr

This is all of the contents inside of the box; there is the main cardboard display; the set pieces in a sealed bag; a certificate of quality control and authenticity and the large rectangular box which contains both sets of toys sealed in thier bags!

IMG_20190619_124712 by Rodney ThePonyDude, on Flickr

This certificate is probably just for a legal requirement i guess but its cool to have!

IMG_20190619_125343 by Rodney ThePonyDude, on Flickr

This is the main cardboard display as i can tell; it has small holes and slot points for the set pieces to be put in place when displayed; it is flat packed and definitely looks as if it has never been assembled!

IMG_20190619_125522 by Rodney ThePonyDude, on Flickr

This sealed bag contains all of the cardboard set pieces that complete the display; it even has a booklet inside for assembley and construction; with pictures showing the display complete in the UK and French versions of the set! On the exterior box the version i have says UK so there may be a completed set on the french market!

IMG_20190619_125558 by Rodney ThePonyDude, on Flickr

This is the box that contains both sets of 4 of the toys; one set at each end; its easy to open with a cardboard latch thats simple to open and pull out the sets!

IMG_20190619_125122 by Rodney ThePonyDude, on Flickr

IMG_20190619_125027 by Rodney ThePonyDude, on Flickr

And these are the two sets of toys; mint in bag; and what most children see when they stare at the stores display!

Does anybody of any other sealed and bagged Mcdonalds displays? Ive seen constructed ones; but not sealed like this. I also have a G3 UK set also sealed if anybody wants to see!

If you wish to share this around you are happy to do so; i hope you have a great day!

Rodney :)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 09:25:59 AM by Rodneytheponydude »

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: Is this a one of a kind piece of UK mlp merchandise? (PICTURE HEAVY)
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2019, 12:01:23 PM »
aaaaa this is so cool!! :O I haven't seen another one like it, wow. What an amazing and cool piece of pony ephemera to have!

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 12:03:36 PM »
Awesome!  It's definitely different from the US Happy Meal set, which came paired with Beast Wars, not Action Man.

Is there a date on it?  I wonder if it's later than the US's MLP / Beast Wars set, which I think was 1997 or 1998.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 12:15:41 PM »
I have some McD G2 leaflets from this time/release, I can try and check on the dates of them. I remember the display in McD and had the toys from happymeals then I think...but that's really cool merch. I've never seen anyone else obtain one of those and especially not in that condition.

Edit -I guess 1998, as the leaflet I have advertises a competition with closing date 31st Dec 1998. G2 arrived here officially in 1998 so that makes sense.

Somewhere I have a store tray for the beanies from G2. I think that was from Woolworths...but I dunno where it is. This thread is making me wonder now...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 12:17:58 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2019, 12:33:23 PM »
That is really neat! I'm so sure there's someone else with one of these still in the box as well? It was years ago though.

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

• Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2019, 12:46:54 PM »
I have some McD G2 leaflets from this time/release, I can try and check on the dates of them. I remember the display in McD and had the toys from happymeals then I think...but that's really cool merch. I've never seen anyone else obtain one of those and especially not in that condition.

Edit -I guess 1998, as the leaflet I have advertises a competition with closing date 31st Dec 1998. G2 arrived here officially in 1998 so that makes sense.

It surprised me how it was just on ebay; in such good condition. I didnt bother to ask how they got a hold of this in the condition its in but they had loads!

On the box it says 1998; so im guessing youre right :)

I wouldnt even know how to value this? Is there a big market for display units like this?

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2019, 01:03:30 PM »
Wow, this is totally cool :cool: I especially love to see this because this is not the set we had in our local McDs (we had this 1999 euro set), so I've never seen this display, and only came across these figures already as an adult collector, in shops that carry second-hand stuff imported from abroad.
(not like I remember the display of the set we had, now that I think of it :blush:)

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2019, 01:14:07 PM »

It surprised me how it was just on ebay; in such good condition. I didnt bother to ask how they got a hold of this in the condition its in but they had loads!

On the box it says 1998; so im guessing youre right :)

I wouldnt even know how to value this? Is there a big market for display units like this?

My guess for how they got it was they were either a McDonald's employee or someone they knew was.  I used to get the Happy Meal displays when I worked at McDs years ago if I asked for them.  I ended up with some Toy Story 2 and Beanie Baby displays that I've since sold off due to space reasons.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2019, 01:23:06 PM »
Wow, this is totally cool :cool: I especially love to see this because this is not the set we had in our local McDs (we had this 1999 euro set), so I've never seen this display, and only came across these figures already as an adult collector, in shops that carry second-hand stuff imported from abroad.
(not like I remember the display of the set we had, now that I think of it :blush:)

We had that 1999 one in the UK too. Though Wiki apparently doesn't know it :)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 01:30:28 PM »
That's really neat. I love merch like this.  :)

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 01:36:35 PM by Ponyfan »

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

• Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 04:06:09 PM »
The only downfall to it is the size; the box is massive! But other than that its nice to see that even the most obscure things survive! Would anyone want me to post the g3 mcdonalds display ive also got?  :)

Offline Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2019, 04:30:23 PM »
The only downfall to it is the size; the box is massive! But other than that its nice to see that even the most obscure things survive! Would anyone want me to post the g3 mcdonalds display ive also got?  :)

Yes please!! I'd love to see it! :D

• Smoozed Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2019, 03:34:57 AM »

Yes please!! I'd love to see it! :D

Ill make sure to take some pictures when i can; should i post it on this thread or a new thread?  :) :)

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2019, 03:39:25 AM »
I'd also love to see the G3 display :) I think it's OK to post that also in this thread as long as you rename the thread, so that everyone knows what they are coming in to see pics of :)

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline Lancer

• Trade Count: (+164)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Diary of a Daydreamer
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2019, 04:03:54 AM »
Oh my gosh, I'd totally forgotten the maypole display!  But seeing it there took me right back to excitedly queuing up in McDonalds, aged seven, waiting to get my hands on the ponies each week!  I'm vegetarian so my dad used to eat the Happy Meal...I just wanted the toys! :P

Yes, definitely 1998 as others have said.  The second set was summer 1999 because I remember being on holiday in Skegness the last week of the promotion and struggling to get Silver Swirl because the Lincolnshire branches had apparently offered the ponies in a different sequence to the London ones?  We did eventually get one that was left over from a previous week but I hate to think how much of our holiday we wasted at McDonalds to do so!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal