collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Disassemble Waterfall cloud  (Read 1372 times)

Offline Shileah

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Disassemble Waterfall cloud
« on: August 04, 2019, 07:15:15 AM »
I picked up the Waterfall playset, and tried to remove the "showerhead" cloud for easier cleaning. It wouldn't really budge and I don't want to just bruteforce pull on it as I am scared I might break off something. Can anyone tell me if it is even possible to remove it once it has been fully assembled, and if so, what to keep in mind while doing so? Thanks!  :)
Specifically looking for G1 with pen markings similar to this (my initials - W.S.):
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Instagram

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Disassemble Waterfall cloud
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 09:10:56 AM »
It is possible but do it with caution and care. In fact I would suggest using some kind of soap or something to make it slick.

Basically inside the cloud is a 'clip'. These break VERY EASILY. Basically it's one of those things that you press down to insert and then it pops up on the inside to hold it in place. I am trying to find an online photo of it :/ If you can't see the bit that's pushed down, it might be hard to remove the cloud. Don't just pull it. I have seen tons of waterfalls with broken cloud clips just from the weight of it.

Edit - here you go:

This is an old sale photo of mine, it's a green base waterfall but it doesn't matter, they're the exact same. You can see this one has a broken clip at the top, but that's what it looks like. I had to get that out of the cloud as the two were broken apart when I got this one. Cracks often appear around the base of the clips both at the top and bottom of the rainbow, but the top one is especially prone to breakage. The weight of the cloud pulls on the rainbow which is one of the reasons it breaks so easily (as well as being knocked).

If you can't see clearly, the top clip looks kind of like those bottom clips xD.

I hope that's at least a bit helpful in terms of what you're dealing with xD.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 09:19:34 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Shileah

• Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 02:48:17 AM »
Thank you so much, yes, this is exactly the information I needed! And it has convinced me to not try removing the cloud - it's far too dangerous to break the clip, and I am clumsy when it comes to such things, so no way I will try my luck here.

Thank you!
Specifically looking for G1 with pen markings similar to this (my initials - W.S.):

Instagram

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 03:59:17 AM »
No disassemble!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2019, 08:00:30 AM »
No disassemble!

BWAHAHAHA someone else says that in everyday life!!!
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2019, 10:05:52 AM »
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 10:23:03 AM »
No disassemble!

:lol:

*poke* silly people.

@Shileah - I'm glad that helped! It was the only image I could find so I'm glad it was clear enough!

One other thing I would say is that if you are displaying it, if you can find a way to support the weight of the cloud so it isn't just resting on the rainbow it will help protect it longterm against breakages. It is the biggest weak point in the playset because the cloud is heavy, so if you can do that you should be all right. The bottom clips I think usually break due to rough play but they're not as bad as the top one.

Would love to see pictures of it if you get it set up to display :D
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 10:31:27 AM »
No disassemble!

:lol:

Omg! I forgot about that until I read it automatically in Johnny 5’s voice. Seriously, need to rewatch that soon.

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 12:50:54 PM »
Same here. Sorry for hijacking your thread Shileah!  :blush:

Offline Shileah

• Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2019, 01:08:07 AM »
Would love to see pictures of it if you get it set up to display :D

I have a picture from it when I arrived home and just pulled it out of the box to marvel in it! :)

The cloud is very yellowed, and it's unfortunately not something that I could simply wash off or remove a the magic eraser so this is why I asked. Heavy scrubbing on it would have been lots easier if I could have removed the cloud, but heyho, life is rarely on the easy side! I read on MLP Restoration to use hair bleaching cream - will be on my weekly shopping trip later today and hope to find something like this to try out.

Instagram

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2019, 06:40:50 AM »
You have a lot of the bits for it though, and Duck Soup as well (:D) so that's always a plus. Sprinkles also looks pretty decent. Her hair is unusually shiny and her colour looks good, which is really unusual for her xD.

I don't know about chemicals and the discolouration on the waterfall, but lots of luck getting it sorted. I can see what you mean about the cloud but aside a couple of spots the base looks pretty white still.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Shileah

• Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2019, 01:57:37 AM »
Thank you! Everything is in great condition, so I am really happy about the set. The only thing missing is the ribbon, but I should have one in my stack that has the right colour - I still didn't get to checking if I actually have but am pretty sure I do.

I could not find a bleaching cream as described; I found something that was described to be a "blonde freshener", but since I don't have any clue about hair colouring products, I don't know if it really was what I was looking for. I still brought it home and tried it on a different set that has heavy discolouration, with disappointing results so I did not go further down that road. So I mixed up some oxy cleaner paste and smeared it onto the set. The Waterfall has been sitting in the sun for a short while now like this and already made so much progress!

Here is a comparison picture of the bigger yellow spot on the base part of it:

I have since washed off the oxy paste, and just letting it sit in the sun like this. The cloud is making awesome progress, too, and I am really happy how things are coming along!

Instagram

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2019, 03:51:56 AM »
Looks like you're making some decent progress with it!
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Shileah

• Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2019, 02:05:21 AM »
Yes, it's coming along great and I am very pleased wit the progress! The cloud has had a huge change, too, and is overall a more creamy colour now. It's still a work in progress though but if it doesn't improve any further, I'd be fine with displaying it the way it is now.

Instagram

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2019, 03:20:07 AM »
Personally I think your biggest victories are that the cloud/rainbow clip connection isn't broken and that Sprinkles is in that good shape. Both rare things with the Waterfall. I guess it's not surprising after what, 35 years, to have a bit of discolouration. Maybe put it down to pollution?  ;)
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal