collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Questions for Traveling Ponies? (And other toys)  (Read 617 times)

Offline Glitter Yolk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Depends Pony
  • Researching fakies, as always
    • View Profile
Questions for Traveling Ponies? (And other toys)
« on: August 21, 2019, 06:04:20 AM »
I really am a bit of a chicken when it comes to photographing my toys any place other than the privacy of my home. I'd like to get a bit more adventurous when traveling, but I just don't know how you'd go about it.

If you bring a pony on a road trip, what do you store them in? Do you bring a comb or something to protect their hair? A special camera? Any props? Do you just carry your pony in hand?

What happens when you take a toy out in public? Do people stare, or mind their own business? Does anyone approach you? Do you take photos without caring, or real quick hidden ones when no one's around? Has anyone, stranger or otherwise, judged you for taking pictures of toys? What do you tell them if they ask about it?

The biggest idea is to just go out there and take a toy with you, yes, but does anyone have a process for it? Do you only take tiny toys, bigger ones? Something to clean them off with when in nature? And if it's a long trip, how do you make sure you don't ever accidentally lose the toy? :P ...that hasn't happened to anyone here, has it? :blink:

I guess these questions apply to any toy photographer, be it pony, doll, plush, anything!

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: Questions for Traveling Ponies? (And other toys)
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 06:59:25 AM »
The only time I got a reaction was at Himeji castle and I don't think the people there realised I understood them, but I just ignored them :)

I took Fluttsi all over Japan with me as she was a good luck gift from my sister. She came out of the bag in the aeroplane and I have photos of her looking down over Russia, and in every place I visited. I don't think there's a single place she didn't come to with me. I was really worried about losing her, but she was fine. She went in my bag, and I had a little brush I nabbed from the Tokyo hotel when I arrived (they were freebies) to keep her neat. She had one puddle falling incident that required a sink bath when I got back to my apartment, but she did Japan in fine style, from mountains to castles to the beach, to trains and boats and Emperor graves and nobody really made a big deal about it.

Fluttsi in Japan thread if interested:
http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,385952.0.html

I have maybe 2-300 more pictures of her in places that I never even posted. Most from Kyoto.

Since that she's been to Lisbon and she's also done various other UK places, some with my sister and I and some just with me.

I also took Tropical Breeze to Austria and Slovakia and I have photos of my first G4 AJ exploring Helsinki (I bought her in Finland) and Cadence in Prague (I bought her there).

Basically, no ponies got hurt and nobody minded :)

In Japan especially taking pictures of mascots in places seems pretty common though.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 07:27:17 AM »
Really, no one cares. I've had ponies out on the table at a restaurant because my purse was so small and it was fine. I also used to bring toys with me to high School classes so I'm just used to it. If I survived high school with toys, you'll do just fine out in public!
I usually keep a pony in my backpack. Babies are good size-wise, but adults are good too for planned trips if you have enough space. You can always use some elastics on their hair to keep it relatively neat. I don't like to style the hair without it being wet so their hair isn't the neatest...
I have yet to loose a toy!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline vira

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colorswirl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 07:53:24 AM »
I've brought toys or ponies along with me before! I usually like to keep them in little cloth drawstring bags.

I'm sure people have seen me doing it, but I've never had anyone confront me and ask what I'm doing. If you're anxious about anyone asking you, you could always say it's a Flat Stanley sort of thing for a niece or nephew!

I've never lost anything, but if I did I suppose I'd just hope that a child who'd like it would find it? :'-)

Offline DartBurd

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Fancy Pants Baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2019, 09:02:01 AM »
I took a Fluttershy and muffin pony with me to Disneyland a few years ago. It was cute and fun, posing them on things like the small world queue, and the Cheshire cat near the teacups for a quick pic.
One thing I will caution is since Fluttershy is a very light color edges of her ears and wing tips got dirty from my backpack so next time I will store them in a plastic bag.
No one cared! Disney security checking our bags were like "omg you brought your ponies that is so cute!"
Take your ponies on vacation with you for a photo shoot, it's cute!

Offline Khoufu

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Waterfire is best pony. \\//,
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2019, 11:52:50 AM »
I've taken a few photos but my sister takes a lot. She brings action figures that are very poseable and preferably can interact with the environment. (Punch things, hold things, etc.) I'll just take whatever I feel like, especially if it has joints.
As for transportation, I may bring a brush for ponies, and just carry in my pocket/backpack/suitcase. I won't bring anything I would mind getting a couple scratches, just in case. And I'll take all the time I need for a good photo. No one cares.
:enraged:   PM for a link to my Retro MLP group on Telegram!   

Offline Shileah

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 01:59:11 AM »
Thank you for asking this, I am in the same situation and so far haven't dared to take a pony with me to take pictures. It's very encouraging to read other's experiences and especially that no one cared haha  :lol:
Specifically looking for G1 with pen markings similar to this (my initials - W.S.):

Instagram

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 03:01:26 AM »
I bring my ponies all over with me. I bring them to work with me too, and everyone is always really nice about it! :) Sometimes I do feel a little silly when I take them outside the office for a photo shoot because it’s a busy college town, but no one ever bothers me.

When it comes to transporting them, I usually keep mine in my backpack or purse until I’m ready to photograph them, but if i’ll be taking multiple pictures along whatever route I’m on I will just carry them by hand. DartBurd mentioned that ponies can get kind of dirty and scuffed up in a backpack if they’re in there long term, which I have run into as well. Next time I might try putting them in a little ziplock bag or something! As for the hair I do carry a small hair brush for them as well. ^.^

So far I haven’t lost any of my toys or had real bad tragedies! I wouldn’t worry about what other people might think in public, honestly I think most people are off in their own world anyway! Once you get past the nerves it’s a lot of fun and you get some really nice pictures!

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal