collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Who was your newbie saviour?  (Read 1195 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Who was your newbie saviour?
« on: August 04, 2019, 01:08:08 AM »
So talking about the storage find made me think about this again.

In the discussion thread about the forum, there was also some comments raised about new people finding it harder to settle here, which bothered me a lot because we've all been newbies at some point in the past.

So I thought maybe it would help to go back and share some of those kinds of stories, just to show everyone that we're all the same, we all had help at the beginning, and it's ok to ask someone for help because people will.

It doesn't matter if you were new to the pony community 20 years ago or 2 months ago. It also doesn't matter if the person is an online person, or a real life person, or how it happened.

But when you first started collecting ponies again, or first joined the pony community, what mistakes did you make and/or who were the people who helped you out along the way to prevent you making mistakes?

---------------
My Newbie Saviour

For me the first pony person I met was a lady called Helen. (For a while she went by the online name of pinkember but she didn't do a lot of pony posting/discussing online on forums etc).

She was a grandmother who began collecting ponies for her grandkids but ultimately got the bug and started collecting herself. She lived in the US, and I live in the UK, so this is one of those stories of awesome and trust that I think is quite rare, especially now.

In 1997 the local library by me had internet, and I'd go there and google MLP and find DV and print pages off. I also found the Trade Post. I had no email address at that time, we weren't allowed to use the library email to receive email and I don't think online email addresses were a thing here then - or if they were, I didn't know about them. I was 15.

I had my parents' permission to post on the TP and leave a phone number. I had just discovered that Medley, Firefly etc actually existed and I was super excited. But these ponies were in the US. Nobody in the US is going to phone a UK number, right?

...Wrong.

Some weeks pass. We get a phonecall from this lady in the US. It's Helen. And so began my first ever online/real life trading relationship and friendship.

Helen was an awesome lady. She understood I was young and my sister was younger. She knew all of this happened with my parents' knowledge and consent, they were always around. There were very few people in the UK collecting and online then, and I had access to UK ponies so she had taken the gamble on contacting me to see if I could get hold of stuff for her.

Right then there were a lot of UK ponies not known about. She didn't know who Snowflake was, and I remember her asking me "is it true that the UK had boy ponies? I don't know they're fake or not but people keep talking about some UK boys." And so I sent her photos (actual physical photos) of the Mountain Boys, and those got added to the 'can you look for them' list.

...I wasn't able, aged 15, to ship tons of ponies to the US. I didn't have that kind of money. But she had family over here, and she was going to visit them in April 1998. So we agreed I would collect ponies up for her here, and she'd bring a case of ponies over for us, and we'd do an inperson trade in April 1998.

This lady had no reason to trust a 15 year old kid in another country. Despite that, she sent Mimic and Best Wishes, then Powder and Truly as 'advance ponies' for my sister and I, in time for my sister's birthday. Mimic was my first ever online trade pony. But she's special to me not because she's rare (I didn't know that at the time) but because she came from Helen on trust.

She also sent me Baby Shady for my 16th birthday, as I had said to her how much I loved Shady...and she sent us Bushwoolies for Christmas.

In April, she came to see us. She came early and we went to the carboot first. She saw Mountain Boys and I remember her hesitating, and asking me if I was buying them, as it was 'my patch', but I told her to just buy what she wanted, and she was super excited about it all.

We went back home and did a massive trade of about 98 ponies apiece. She also showed me a colorswirl pony she was going to give to her granddaughter, and three what we would now call Nirvana ponies - a brazilian baby cuddles, argentinian peekaboo baby, and peruvian baby cotton candy. She had variants way before anyone was talking about variants.

Helen trusted me and took a gamble on me. When I was online properly, she was not only a reference for me, but a guide for safe and unsafe trading. I learned a lot from her, and a lot of my rarest ponies came from her.

Sadly Helen passed away a few years ago - she was in her nineties. I miss her greatly, and she's very fondly remembered by my family as well. She was my newbie rescuer.

In my folder of leaflets and other things, I still have one letter from her. I'm sure I had others, once, but I don't know what happened to them. However, I'm happy to still have that one :)

I mentioned it in the other thread, but people who knew Helen knew that her collection was out of this world. She sold off parts of it while she was still alive and yet still had huge amounts when she passed away. Sadly the collection got dispersed after her death. I don't know of anyone before or since who had a collection like hers. People talk about the Delaneys a lot but that's only because they put themselves out there, had the Palooza and showed their collection a lot more. Helen's was much much bigger than theirs, but she didn't like the spotlight. I don't know if she'd like it, me saying that here and now - but I really want her to be remembered, because she remains the most awesome pony collector I ever knew, and I'd like other people to think of her that way too.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: Who was your newbie saviour?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 07:48:34 AM »
What a sweet, sad wonderful story.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 08:40:37 AM »
What a nice topic, and what a lovely story! :D

Mine was Moondancer1073, I'm not sure if she's still around on the forum? I was completely new to the pony community, and to buying online altogether. I had never bought anything on the internet, I had no idea how that worked. I fell in love with Baby Sugarberry as soon as I saw pictures of her, needless to say she was never sold here, so I would have to buy her online at some point.

Moondancer1073 had one for sale, and she trusted me enough to sell her to me, despite the fact that I had zero feedback, knew nothing about PayPal and was completely unknown on the forum. So, Moondancer1073, if you read this, I'm still super grateful for your trust! I don't forget things like that. :D

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline twilysparks

• Trade Count: (0)
  • McDonald's Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 10:57:09 AM »
That is a beautiful story, and Helen sounds like she was a wonderfully kind lady.  :lovey:
:happy: Fan of all MLP generations, especially G4 and G1! :happy:
MLP Wishlist: https://data.mlpmerch.com/wishlist/1694/
MLP Checklist: https://data.mlpmerch.com/checklist/1694/

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 11:05:54 AM »
What a nice topic, and what a lovely story! :D

Mine was Moondancer1073, I'm not sure if she's still around on the forum? I was completely new to the pony community, and to buying online altogether. I had never bought anything on the internet, I had no idea how that worked. I fell in love with Baby Sugarberry as soon as I saw pictures of her, needless to say she was never sold here, so I would have to buy her online at some point.

Moondancer1073 had one for sale, and she trusted me enough to sell her to me, despite the fact that I had zero feedback, knew nothing about PayPal and was completely unknown on the forum. So, Moondancer1073, if you read this, I'm still super grateful for your trust! I don't forget things like that. :D

I think the taking trust on a new member with no feedback is one of the nicest things a ponyperson can do. Most people aren't scammers or troublemakers, and it's really easy to cheat a new member on price because of their lack of knowledge. Unfortunately I used to see this happen with some UK ponies back when they were rare. One that sticks in my mind was about TAF babies...someone in the UK saying that a TAF baby was only worth about a Kiss Curl because "UK ponies are special". I may have verbally dissected that person, it made me so mad :/ UK ponies were worth more then but never ever was Kiss Curl a valid trade for a TAF baby and it made me sad that in the early days a few UK people would try to scam on desperate US collectors with stuff like that. ><

Having someone to go to or a seller you can trust to be honest with you is so important. I'm really happy you got your baby sugarberry and the seller was so awesome to you as a new collector :D

« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 11:08:49 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 03:27:38 PM »
They're no longer active in the community, but when I first joined the Arena a total stranger sent me a PM asking if I wanted some ponies. I was told they were mostly baity G1s and some accessories. At the time I only had a small handful of ponies, couldn't afford more, and was going through a rough time postpartum after my son was adopted.

The box took a while to arrive and I think it actually showed up at our old house the day we moved because grandma had to forward it to our new address on the other side of the country. But after all the waiting, it was so worth it. I vividly remember my excitement and happiness as I pulled pony after pony after pony out of the box. It was packed completely full, way more than I ever could have guessed. Almost half of my G1s are still from this box and I still have every single pony and accessory. One of my favorite ponies, my baity cancer spotted Moonstone, was in there. My extremely baity Baby Firefly, my little travelling companion for so many trips, was in there. I discovered my love of baity G1s and G1s without tails from this box, which still shape my collecting preferences today.

I don't think I ever spoke to this person again and a lot of bad stuff (like scamming) came out about them later. While those actions are inexcusable, I'll still forever be grateful to them for showing so much kindness to me when I was a newbie. Their selfless gift meant the world to me and still brings me so much happiness 8 years later.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 03:29:46 PM »
Those are great stories Taffeta, Broken Irishwoman and Taxel. :D

I’ve been thinking about this question for a while thinking back to when I got back into ponies.

I joined the Trading Post  before I joined the Arena. Satin Slipper was an admin at the time and she sent me a PM welcoming me to the TP and telling me if I had any questions to feel free to ask. I sent several PMs to Satin Slipper asking things that seem  that we’re probably obvious to  most people (how to get an avatar, how to quote more than one post when making a new post etc...) Satin Slipper was always very nice in her PMs and never got annoyed by my questions.

Another was Fizzypop. She offered to draw me a free piece of digital art just as a welcoming gift. I was so surprised that someone I didn’t know was willing to draw me a piece of artwork.

There was also another person who saw a wanted post I had made and offered to sell me one of her ponies. At that time I’d never bought from someone outside of the US before and she was very nice and understanding that it was my international purchase.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2019, 12:15:07 AM »
I love reading these stories :D Taxel, that tale was really nice. I'm sorry this trader ended up with bad stuff around them.

I traded with a couple of people like that. One of them I traded with a lot and trusted (and would still trust if she came back) but all kinds of stories got circulated about her. I half think that was the work of a couple of particular individuals, though, as there were a few complicated things that went on back then, and she crossed at least one scary collector in some way. But I've seen a few good traders 'go bad'...

I really wonder if they do go bad or if life just swamps them. I often wonder about that.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline cottoncandycafe

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Captain Jack Pony
  • small plastic horse enthusiast
    • View Profile
    • my pony tumblr
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 03:59:28 PM »
I don't have a story to add, but thank you for sharing your memories of Helen, they're very touching and it sounds like she was a wonderful person  : )

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 06:03:30 PM »
I have one to add there was a person on here named Starhopper we became good friends. She even made me two custom ponies. I think we did a few trades but I dont remember. I still miss her and she was a good friend.
Another non collector friend.  I told her of my love of ponies and has a huge heart and got me a few irreplaceable ponies that are still in my collection Alt birthflower morning glory was one of them. Sadly we lost in touch but I never forgot her kindness.

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2019, 07:04:59 PM »
I wasn't a newbie per say but Sugarberry and her husband were the only people I recognized during Indiana Pony fair from a brief meeting at a Wisconsin pony meet so I rather stuck with them cause I hate traveling by myself and now we are good friends :)
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal