collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: If G1 had a 'mane six' type concept, who would they be?  (Read 3966 times)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Re: If G1 had a 'mane six' type concept, who would they be?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2019, 10:17:23 AM »
This thread got way more interesting than my comment. I was just going to say that all my friends had Blossom and Cotton Candy and then playset ponies Peachy and Lemondrop. After that everyone liked Bowtie, Posey, Applejack and Lickety Split. That's just who we played with most. So not really a six. Most people got one or two ponies a year. But my favourite set is Gypsy, Hopscotch, Snowflake and Honey Comb. I think it's a great set of ponies.
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2019, 10:25:37 AM »
That's easy!
Raspberry Syrup (the little merpony)
Pineapple Jam (the pegasoos)
Shooby-dooby (under da sea pony)
Earthquake (the token dood)
Frostbite(the unicorn)
Duchess of Flappy (the winger)
And last but definitely not least, Princess Apple-Sparkle-Ballerina-Pumpkinshine (the flutter pony)

None of those other minor characters mattered really. *flaps hand dismissively*

;) :silly:

LMAO now I want to create my own Pony Seven.

Dark Crystal - a black goth unicorn who dabbles in dark magic
Minty - she is just G3 Minty without any changes
Lightning - daring and adventurous pegasus totally not inspired by Firefly. She is red with white/silver hair (gorgeous combo, imo)
Bubbles - seapony whose toy color changes and whose hair won't rot no matter how often kids take her into their baths. Gets sold several times each time with a different color/pattern change.
Rock Solid - strong drafter type Earth pony. She has an appaloosa blanket and fluffy feet like a G1 Mountain Boy. She is light yellow with white markings and has an aqua mane (another favorite combo
Shimmering Shine - white and rosé pegasus boy who is Lightning's older brother and often tries to keep Lightning out of trouble and fills all stereotypical girly roles like caring for others, baking and worrying. Is in love with Dark Crystal but she is too busy with the Dark Arts to notice.
Stargazer - unicorn boy with rainbow hair. Fandom thinks he's gay and he becomes a gay icon but I will never acknowledge it. Only when his toys start to dwindle in sales I'll say he might be LGBTQ2SAI++ to sell some of the stock I have left :lol:

I want to draw them now.

@ thread, I think I'd pick the ponies who featured the in the N Friends series or movie and keep the system with 2 of each pony kind. I'd want to make sure I have no color repeats, so that would make it a bit difficult. I'd include Firefly, Twilight, Gusty, Fizzy, Wind Whistler and North Star. But I'd change their types and colors around.

I need to see pictures now  !!!   :biggrin:
If I was an artist and had any clue about anything, I would suggest a "draw the G1 M6" contest xD. I want to see the crazy too :)

@Artie - your childhood memories are much like mine, with the 1st set rainbows as well, those were the ponies kids at school had. I remember a lot of Wind Whistlers and North Stars as well though I was the only person who had Shady (poor Shady). I guess maybe that means pastel ponies..?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2019, 10:52:48 AM »
Well,  MY mane 6, would have included:

Baby Lickety Split
Firefly
Medely
Applejack
Bowtie
Glory

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2019, 12:35:29 PM »

@Artie - your childhood memories are much like mine, with the 1st set rainbows as well, those were the ponies kids at school had. I remember a lot of Wind Whistlers and North Stars as well though I was the only person who had Shady (poor Shady). I guess maybe that means pastel ponies..?

I think "Draw an your alt. mane 6" is a brilliant idea for a competition!

I agree that pastel ponies were the thing definitely. I don't think we got Wind Whistler, North Star and Shady near Cambridge because I never saw them. No one had the Gypsy, Honeycomb, Snowflake and Hopscotch set here iether that I knew of, I only saw them at my Cousin's house. My Grandmother used to go to the Cash and Carry and I think that's where she got my Cousin's ponies from. I remember noticing that some of her ponies were Hasbro Bradley because her last name was Bradley, but we never saw anything marked Bradley down here. Ah how easily I digress!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2019, 12:10:38 PM »
OMG this thread :rofl: :lmao: Zapper, LAW, I love it!!

Dark Crystal/Shimmering Shine OTP ;)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2019, 01:31:36 PM »
Seriously, picking one from each species:
Earth Pony- Shady
Unicorn-Fizzy
Pegasus-Wind Whistler
Sea Pony-Baby Sea Shimmer
Flutter Pony-Morning Glory
Winger-Flurry
Merpony-Baby Pearly
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Re: If G1 had a \'mane six\' type concept, who would they be?
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2019, 02:46:46 PM »
I need to see pictures now  !!!   :biggrin:

Working on it XD

Dark Crystal/Shimmering Shine OTP ;)

Yeeeees, my first shipper. Welcome. Ship my ponies, especially the rainbow guy. He could be with anyone, we'll never know his orientation until the end of the line when I have nothing left to lose :lol:

Post Merge: August 06, 2019, 02:49:00 PM

Hooman
Real name Chris
Purpose: Da Chosen One
Hair: Red
Eyes: Green
Personality: Daring and Brash

Gets sucked into Pony Worldia via Rainbow Vortex with Smart, Common Sensical  little sister Laura
who is The Voice of Reason and Slower of His Roll.

Reason for being there: Opposable thumbs. Pony Worldians lack them and they need a hero! Cuz all the street-wise Hercules took their opposable thumbs and went home.

I'm dying at this!! :haha:
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 02:49:35 PM by Zapper »

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2019, 06:47:24 PM »
Sue me but I would like for the collector's ponies to be considered the mane six of G1, like they said on Hasbro's website. Yeah in the US they weren't very characterized (you Brits get everything cool!) but in my mind it makes perfect sense, they're the first six to ever exist and their UK back cards have enough of a basic idea of how they'd be characterized imo.
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2019, 10:51:18 PM »
I tend to see the two specials as very different from the series, so I made two lists.

Classic Set

Firefly, Medley
Twilight, Glory
Cotton Candy, Applejack

My Little Pony & Friends

Wind Whistler, Surprise
Fizzy, Gusty
Truly, Shady

I would make a third for Tales, but I didn't know about it until years after it ended.  I'm also not very versed in the US comic but, I would make a separate list for that.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 10:53:46 PM by brightberry »
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2019, 02:22:14 AM »
Sue me but I would like for the collector's ponies to be considered the mane six of G1, like they said on Hasbro's website. Yeah in the US they weren't very characterized (you Brits get everything cool!) but in my mind it makes perfect sense, they're the first six to ever exist and their UK back cards have enough of a basic idea of how they'd be characterized imo.

The original six weren't characterised here at all though :) Well, Cotton Candy and Blossom were because they got a later rerelease and became the posterchild of MLP in 1984...but the other four basically didn't exist in stories here at all.

I think we had US imports for that set, no surviving UK only card has ever been found. But ponies in the UK also didn't have backcard stories even in 1984 (Rainbow 1st set and the Seashell set don't have stories). So there's absolutely nothing to work from except some vague ramblings in the fact file about ponies whose names they can't spell/colour scheme they can't get right.

Not very encouraging.

Blossom had a garden and CC was the ponyland nurse for a bit in the comic. That's all we'd have.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 02:24:04 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2019, 02:26:34 AM »
If I made my own mane six I would want to mix it up and have different ponies together: SS, TE, TAF, etc.
However, from a nostalgic pov, I think a good mane 6, representing all three species, is:

Firefly and Medley
Applejack and Bowtie
And Moondancer, Glory, and/or Twilight (pick two of these three you like best)

They are the most iconic from my childhood memories.

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2019, 02:33:53 AM »
The original six weren't characterised here at all though :) Well, Cotton Candy and Blossom were because they got a later rerelease and became the posterchild of MLP in 1984...but the other four basically didn't exist in stories here at all.

I think we had US imports for that set, no surviving UK only card has ever been found. But ponies in the UK also didn't have backcard stories even in 1984 (Rainbow 1st set and the Seashell set don't have stories).

Wait seriously? I read on MLW some stories that they said were from UK backcards. Maybe you'd like to have a look? Clickety click

...fact file about ponies whose names they can't spell/colour scheme they can't get right.

If I may be blunt though I think a purple/white Minty and uni Honeycomb would be really neat!
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2019, 02:48:01 AM »

I think we had US imports for that set, no surviving UK only card has ever been found. But ponies in the UK also didn't have backcard stories even in 1984 (Rainbow 1st set and the Seashell set don't have stories).

Wait seriously? I read on MLW some stories that they said were from UK backcards. Maybe you'd like to have a look? Clickety click

...fact file about ponies whose names they can't spell/colour scheme they can't get right.

Wiki is wrong about a lot of things re the UK and European releases and honestly, when people cite it at me, I get really annoyed. Please don't do that :P I do know what I'm talking about. :P I've been doing this since before the Wiki existed.

The stories you mean are from the factfile, not backcard, whatever the Wiki says about it.
 I have Blossom's UK 1984 (Seashell set) backcard and it has no story on it. See below comparison.

It's empirical evidence but people who had the FF ponies from new here have said that they're fairly sure it was the same as the US card, thus no story there either. I suppose it's possible the second release of the Gymkhana had one, as the waterfall did - but that is basically the US story with Cascade's name being shoved in instead of Sprinkles', so it seems unlikely.

The factfile stories only overlap with the backcard stories in later years, around the time the FF came out. The flutter pony stories in the FF are the same as on the flutter boxes, but the earlier ponies, like Cherries Jubilee, have different stories on their cards.

There's no original card story for the original six, so the FF made small ones up. That's all. CC and Blossom have a presence here, but the other six may as well not have existed, story-wise.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 02:49:36 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

• MIB Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2019, 02:55:06 AM »

To my knowledge (from memory and Taffeta's site) Cotton Candy and Blossom got a later release as CF ponies as part of the 1983-4 Earth ponies set that also included Bowtie, Applejack, Seashell and Bubbles. Butterscotch came with the Gymkhana set in the UK and Snuzzle with a later edition of the Grooming Parlour. However, we have really limited info about Bluebelle and Minty in the UK. Bluebelle was possibly only sold in Argos in bags. Minty we have very little info on. There may have been a later release of all six in bags that correspond with the USA mail order set. That set may have included Minty otherwise she may not have been sold here at all. Lots of maybes.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 02:56:59 AM by Artemesia's Garden »

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2019, 08:22:22 AM »
I did have a little idea for the original six as main characters a while ago, but all my sketches are lost. I'd want them to look a tad more interesting first! The one color per pony thing is kinda cute but I'd prefer some more color in our cast.  :P
Also, I just updated the wiki to say Factfile instead of backcard on 4/6 of the ponies. Once my mind stops being fogged up I'll update Blossom and Cotton Candy to the appropriate one.

Sig by Starscout <3

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal