collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: If G1 had a 'mane six' type concept, who would they be?  (Read 3979 times)

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
If G1 had a 'mane six' type concept, who would they be?
« on: August 04, 2019, 12:30:42 AM »
This comes on from the other discussions about retro and Hasbro calling the original 6 ponies the "M6" of G1. Obviously that doesn't make much sense, so I thought I'd ask...

Knowing that G1 did have the tales later on, I guess we'll count them as already assumed. But in terms of prominent characters or individuals, which set (or group of ponies, they don't have to come from the same set) would you consider come closest in G1 to the idea of a 'core cast'?

In UK terms, the set that would qualify for this for me are the Groom & Style Ponies (what the US calls the Y3 Earth set).
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Over here they had prominent representation in the comic. AJ, Bow Tie had 2 pose versions, Posey and CJ had two symbol versions. They appeared on merchandise (albeit there were some other characters who also appeared on merch at this time, not all of those were actually sold here). They were some of the first to have backcard stories as well.

They were very well sold and are all very common second hand. They also had a song tape dedicated to them, with a song each, and no other set over here ever had that, before or after. They were used to advertise ponywear in the TV commercial and since then, that commercial and thus that set got highlighted as symbolic of MLP in a show called "I Love 1983", even though that set weren't out in 1983, suggesting they have some kind of nostalgic hoofprint.

Also, the only My Little Pony in the Bethnal Green toy museum in London is a (UK/1986) Cherries Jubilee. She is representing the whole of 12 years of My Little Pony, all on her own ;)

What would your core character/most iconic group of pony G1 characters look like, and why?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: If G1 had a 'mane six' type concept, who would they be?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 05:54:37 AM »
I totally don't know. I don't think what we played with really represented MLP as a whole. So unless we wanna see a lot of SHS and stuff...

Spoiler
All I know is in my head that there should be a pony with rainbow hair. starshine seems classic -- but I hated her... so ringlet.

I don't like them, but I think TE are also pretty representative... I like food and the color mint, and I know she's popular enough, so Fizzy.

TAF needs to be represented, and the color blue. Night Glider.

White... Paradise.

Need something Pink or Purple. I'm trying not to overlap gimmicks, so Princess Sparkle-- but I'm not sure about the princess status.

Orange... and really want need neon... Half note.

Ringlet, Fizzy, Night Glider, Princess Sparkle, Paradise, Half Note.

:) I got my colors, my mix types, and representation of popular gimmicks. yay.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2019, 08:17:50 AM »
For me, Firefly would totally be in there. Sundance because of her prominence in MLP n Friends. Rosedust too. I feel like Applejack was pretty popular. Gusty and Baby Lickety Split to finish it off.  Gosh, there are so many ponies to pick from!

For collectors... Rapunzel, Mimic, Baby Sugarcake and Gametime, and the Mommy and Baby MO... who would all live in the Lavender Dream Castle :P

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline Al-1701

• Trade Count: (0)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Wind Whistler and Fizzy best ponies ever
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 12:18:17 PM »
There's the Movie Star ponies: Wind Whistler, Gusty, Shady, Magic Star, North Star, and Buttons.  They fit the mold of two of each species and were prominent in the movie and would also be prominent in the show.  Granted, the movie and show were a tiny part of G1 unlike FiM where the show is king.  However, in terms of animation, they were the face of the franchise for 1986-87.  Though, I would replace Buttons with Fizzy who was mentioned on the back of their cards but belonged to the Twinkle Eyed set.

Actually someone created videos of all the footage dedicated to different characters.  Wind Whistler was the single most featured pony (Spike is the most featured character), followed by the insufferable brat, then Fizzy, Heart Throb, Morning Glory, and Paradise to round out the top six.
I spent five years learning Atmospheric Science on the university level.  I come out of it with the ultimate knowledge of the universe.  √10 * π ≈ 10.

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 12:48:58 PM »
I'd say Firefly, Medley, Glory, Moondancer, Applejack and Bowtie because if each species isn't represented evenly it'll drive me insane lol. Plus, they're pretty color-balanced.

Alternatively, if we count flutter ponies and seaponies and go by prominence in the media, it could be Fizzy, Sundance (she was in the show, right? I know she got a million rereleases), Wind Whistler, Rosedust, whichever seapony got the most screentime, and... Spike, I guess.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 12:58:20 PM by otocolobus_manul »
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 01:11:51 PM »
In the show definitly wind whistler, but for they toys probably Applejack.?I  really dont know for the rest tho I feel like Rosedust is the main flutterpony. Shout to her for being the fiersest flutter pony.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 04:44:00 PM »
I like the Songs and a Story bunch for a main character group. No unicorns or pegasi, but ehhh...I'm sort of attached to those girls now. I do like that the songs give a bit of a character to each pony, except, like, Lickety Split. Oh man, does that pony love to eat.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 04:59:52 PM »
Firefly
Medley
Glory
Applejack
Gusty
Fizzy
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2019, 05:53:44 PM »
That's easy!
Raspberry Syrup (the little merpony)
Pineapple Jam (the pegasoos)
Shooby-dooby (under da sea pony)
Earthquake (the token dood)
Frostbite(the unicorn)
Duchess of Flappy (the winger)
And last but definitely not least, Princess Apple-Sparkle-Ballerina-Pumpkinshine (the flutter pony)

None of those other minor characters mattered really. *flaps hand dismissively*

;) :silly:
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 06:06:45 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 12:12:07 AM »
That's easy!
Frostbite(the unicorn)
And last but definitely not least, Princess Apple-Sparkle-Ballerina-Pumpkinshine (the flutter pony)

Nice to see you taking this seriously ;)

I actually am really interested to see all the different angles people came from for this. I hadn't thought about including cross-species but it does make sense. Also the movie star ponies are a great call (although I want to add "and Buttons" to the end, since there are 2 of them which is weird).

The Movie cards give attention to Fizzy, Megan, Rosedust...can't remember who else as well as the ponies themselves. Of course, that set would cut out Ribbon and Truly, also Cupcake and Paradise. I still think Ribbon was going to be in that set but got cut late on. Still, I guess it is the closest idea to what the G4 M6 is in terms of animation stars...?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2019, 05:08:51 AM »
That's easy!
Frostbite(the unicorn)

LMAO now I want to create my own Pony Seven.

Dark Crystal - a black goth unicorn who dabbles in dark magic
Minty - she is just G3 Minty without any changes
Lightning - daring and adventurous pegasus totally not inspired by Firefly. She is red with white/silver hair (gorgeous combo, imo)
Bubbles - seapony whose toy color changes and whose hair won't rot no matter how often kids take her into their baths. Gets sold several times each time with a different color/pattern change.
Rock Solid - strong drafter type Earth pony. She has an appaloosa blanket and fluffy feet like a G1 Mountain Boy. She is light yellow with white markings and has an aqua mane (another favorite combo
Shimmering Shine - white and rosé pegasus boy who is Lightning's older brother and often tries to keep Lightning out of trouble and fills all stereotypical girly roles like caring for others, baking and worrying. Is in love with Dark Crystal but she is too busy with the Dark Arts to notice.
Stargazer - unicorn boy with rainbow hair. Fandom thinks he's gay and he becomes a gay icon but I will never acknowledge it. Only when his toys start to dwindle in sales I'll say he might be LGBTQ2SAI++ to sell some of the stock I have left :lol:

I want to draw them now.

@ thread, I think I'd pick the ponies who featured the in the N Friends series or movie and keep the system with 2 of each pony kind. I'd want to make sure I have no color repeats, so that would make it a bit difficult. I'd include Firefly, Twilight, Gusty, Fizzy, Wind Whistler and North Star. But I'd change their types and colors around.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 05:11:07 AM by Zapper »

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2019, 05:42:54 AM »

please tell me you meant a human man!

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2019, 06:54:17 AM »
@Taffeta Don't I always? ;) I'll come back with a serious answer after I think for a bit.

@Zapper I love your group! Its more balanced.

please tell me you meant a human man!

Lol. Nope, didn't think of that tbh. He's the Earth Pony. He is mightiest Big Bro.  But I'll make up one just for you.  :satisfied:

Hooman
Real name Chris
Purpose: Da Chosen One
Hair: Red
Eyes: Green
Personality: Daring and Brash

Gets sucked into Pony Worldia via Rainbow Vortex with Smart, Common Sensical  little sister Laura
who is The Voice of Reason and Slower of His Roll.

Reason for being there: Opposable thumbs. Pony Worldians lack them and they need a hero! Cuz all the street-wise Hercules took their opposable thumbs and went home.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2019, 07:06:40 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2019, 08:25:29 AM »
I love when threads go in a weird but awesome random direction...Zapper that was hilarious xD

Cracky or invented g1 m6 also welcome.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2019, 09:49:05 AM »
That's easy!
Frostbite(the unicorn)

LMAO now I want to create my own Pony Seven.

Dark Crystal - a black goth unicorn who dabbles in dark magic
Minty - she is just G3 Minty without any changes
Lightning - daring and adventurous pegasus totally not inspired by Firefly. She is red with white/silver hair (gorgeous combo, imo)
Bubbles - seapony whose toy color changes and whose hair won't rot no matter how often kids take her into their baths. Gets sold several times each time with a different color/pattern change.
Rock Solid - strong drafter type Earth pony. She has an appaloosa blanket and fluffy feet like a G1 Mountain Boy. She is light yellow with white markings and has an aqua mane (another favorite combo
Shimmering Shine - white and rosé pegasus boy who is Lightning's older brother and often tries to keep Lightning out of trouble and fills all stereotypical girly roles like caring for others, baking and worrying. Is in love with Dark Crystal but she is too busy with the Dark Arts to notice.
Stargazer - unicorn boy with rainbow hair. Fandom thinks he's gay and he becomes a gay icon but I will never acknowledge it. Only when his toys start to dwindle in sales I'll say he might be LGBTQ2SAI++ to sell some of the stock I have left :lol:

I want to draw them now.

@ thread, I think I'd pick the ponies who featured the in the N Friends series or movie and keep the system with 2 of each pony kind. I'd want to make sure I have no color repeats, so that would make it a bit difficult. I'd include Firefly, Twilight, Gusty, Fizzy, Wind Whistler and North Star. But I'd change their types and colors around.

I need to see pictures now  !!!   :biggrin:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal