collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLP Tales appreciation thread  (Read 9292 times)

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
Re: MLP Tales appreciation thread
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2019, 06:55:06 PM »
I didn't watch MLPT as a kid and I first run into it in 2006 on YouTube, in fact I was at first confused by it because at the time I didn't know there was another MLP cartoon. It's obviously not as good as the original cartoon but it has its charm and it will always have a special place in my heart. It certainly doesn't deserve the hate it gets sometimes. In fact, in certain ways it was probably even better than the previous cartoon, not overall though. I will always have fond memories of that little tune that plays at the beginning of "Slumber Party", "Gribet" or "Up Up and Away", it brings me back to the innocent days of the 2000s when I would watch it on my computer. My favorite pony was always Patch btw, although I always hated Ace and Teddy.
Inka Dinka Doo
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2019, 11:17:18 PM »
OMG! I just bought a cel from "Up, Up and Away" this weekend with Bon Bon from about the 5:06 mark. There were a ton of them from that episode in a slippery heap on a table, and this was the one I liked best because it had a full character in an active pose.

I have a few cels from the show too. They always seem to pop up at our local ComicCon and they’re like, $5 a piece so I just buy a different one every couple years.

I now I know I paid WAY too much!

You probably didn’t pay too much! :) I think a good part of what drives an animations cels worth is if it’s a good frame! My cheap ones were weird kind of in between frames and not super interesting. :P I have one really nice set of clover frames from her dance number in “Send in the Clown” that I paid much more for. I’d argue that maybe I overpaid for those, but it went to charity so it’s okay! :lol: From what I’m hearing it sounds like you guys got some really nice frames Bronycon that came from more popular episodes, so they would definitely have more worth.

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline OleGrayMane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • A Third Act Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2019, 04:55:44 PM »
OMG! I just bought a cel from "Up, Up and Away" this weekend with Bon Bon from about the 5:06 mark. There were a ton of them from that episode in a slippery heap on a table, and this was the one I liked best because it had a full character in an active pose.

I have a few cels from the show too. They always seem to pop up at our local ComicCon and they’re like, $5 a piece so I just buy a different one every couple years.

I now I know I paid WAY too much!

You probably didn’t pay too much! :) I think a good part of what drives an animations cels worth is if it’s a good frame! My cheap ones were weird kind of in between frames and not super interesting. :P I have one really nice set of clover frames from her dance number in “Send in the Clown” that I paid much more for. I’d argue that maybe I overpaid for those, but it went to charity so it’s okay! :lol: From what I’m hearing it sounds like you guys got some really nice frames Bronycon that came from more popular episodes, so they would definitely have more worth.

Thanks for the moral support! I order the DVD of the episodes so I can do a positive ID of the image, then I want to see how well I can hack up a background to go with the cel for display. If I don't post a "brag" pic in six months, send me a PM!  :biggrin:

There were some odd looking cels there, like ponies without faces, and heads entirely missing, for combination with overlays. I know this has been done for years, but to see the artifacts sure was creepy.

In a quick watch of "Up, up and away", there were a lot of frames from it there, perhaps that was the only one. I'll have to look for more stuff like this to make into "projects"!

PS: I do plan on watching everything, not just the one. Hope I have as much fun as I've had with the G3 episodes.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2019, 05:18:20 PM »
Im personally not to fond of the whole anthro thing, mostly because in one epsiode where bon bon wnats to be a model, in the song, there is a picture of a pony with human breasts. That just kinda scarred me.

Yeah, that image was nuts! :lol:
This one, right?

This is another hilarious screengrab from the opening song. Look at their foghorn mouths XD And Sweetheart looks so devious:

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2019, 06:48:25 PM »
Thank you so much for making this thread! I think Tales is really underrated. I could point out it's problems for sure, I mean there's no such thing as a Perfect thing right? But I think it receives way more flak than deserved.

I've had in my head for a month now for a "reboot" if I were to be hired by Netflix to make an exclusive show, like She-Ra has gotten. Placed when everybody is college-aged and living in the same home together, centered around things people my age deal with in every day life. Who knows when (if) I'll ever finish that.

Recently I was watching a new video from one of my go to Youtubers centered around buying unlabeled VHS tapes from thrift shops and one had a Tales episode recorded, which he skipped lol but I felt so validated in that moment.
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline SpacePinto

• Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2019, 07:09:56 PM »
Im personally not to fond of the whole anthro thing, mostly because in one epsiode where bon bon wnats to be a model, in the song, there is a picture of a pony with human breasts. That just kinda scarred me.

This one, right?

I heard somewhere that the reason they gave her breasts in those scenes is because they were afraid of showing a character who is canonically around 10 doing "sexy" poses in a swimsuit without somehow making it visually obvious she is supposed to be older here, and well, they went the easiest route.
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2019, 07:21:20 PM »

This one, right?

This is another hilarious screengrab from the opening song. Look at their foghorn mouths XD And Sweetheart looks so devious:

I never noticed that.  :shocked:

Ponyfan
« Last Edit: August 06, 2019, 07:23:24 PM by Ponyfan »

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2019, 07:44:17 PM »
Recently I was watching a new video from one of my go to Youtubers centered around buying unlabeled VHS tapes from thrift shops and one had a Tales episode recorded, which he skipped lol but I felt so validated in that moment.

Hello, fellow Brutalmoose watcher. :lol:

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2019, 09:39:48 PM »
Yeah that was freaking creepy
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Strawberry Swirl

• Trade Count: (+40)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • #1 Rainbow Dash Kinnie
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2019, 09:41:48 PM »

Hello, fellow Brutalmoose watcher. :lol:

You’ve caught me!!
WishlistChecklistSalesPonysonaCommissions

Offline Lancer

• Trade Count: (+164)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
    • Diary of a Daydreamer
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2019, 04:16:48 AM »
Tales was my favourite of all of the MLP cartoons, and Lancer was my favourite character (obviously), closely followed by Sweetheart.  I watched it so many times that I can still recite the scripts to most of the episodes, despite having not seen them for years!

I'm still gutted that they didn't make more of the ponies as toys, especially the three main boys and Miss Hackney.  There was so much potential there - all the parents and siblings, the Ice Cream Shop and Rainbow Beauty Salon, and so on...  I suppose it just happened too near to the end of the MLP line.  I'm surprised they didn't at least release the three boys alongside the seven girls though.  For years, I swore I'd had a MLP leaflet which showed prototypes of the boys (I can still see the picture clearly in my head, in fact!) but I'm sure it would have surfaced by now if it really existed.  I suppose my childhood self was so desperate for those ponies that I just imagined it.  I found a Sports Time at a car boot sale once whose hair had been cut to look like Teddy...pretty sure I wasn't the only kid who would have loved to have those ponies in my herd!

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2019, 06:19:30 AM »
ughhh that shot of Bon Bon creeps me out so much!!

And I wish they'd made the three boys in toy form too :( I really love their designs. (Although I admit I prefer that one comic design for Ace, the one where he has a playing card symbol. So cute!)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2019, 06:39:06 AM »

This one, right?

I heard somewhere that the reason they gave her breasts in those scenes is because they were afraid of showing a character who is canonically around 10 doing "sexy" poses in a swimsuit without somehow making it visually obvious she is supposed to be older here, and well, they went the easiest route.

They could have just chosen a different pose but they really wanted to go for "sensual model" in a cartoon for lil girls, eh :lookround: :P

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #58 on: August 07, 2019, 12:19:14 PM »

This one, right?

They could have just chosen a different pose but they really wanted to go for "sensual model" in a cartoon for lil girls, eh :lookround: :P

"Dear pre-teen girls. This is a clue as to how you will undoubtedly be pressurised to look as you get older. Welcome to the world. It sucks."

I actually like that BonBon wants to be a model and that absolutely nobody else has a problem with it. But there's a problem in how she wants to be depicted, if that's an example. Though I also still feel there's that other awkward problem of ponies not usually wearing clothing but suddenly modelling swimsuits in that style?

...So walking around naked isn't a problem but..? >< Pony etiquette is complicated.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Wildshadow

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Favorites of all time? Surprise, Danny and Spike!
    • View Profile
    • https://www.instagram.com/kriticosium/
« Reply #59 on: August 07, 2019, 03:21:46 PM »
I don't have pics to show since I'm so used to uploading pictures on my phone to apps.... but I have some production sheets that talks of the ponies on the show. It must have been an early draft for the show cause it says Sweetheart is aged 6 and Starlight is aged 12  xD

It's also labeled that the 'core ponies' are 12.

I haven't looked at my Tales comics in ages and I think I'm missing only a handful of them?

Not sure what else to add at the moment.....

Thanks Starscout for the sig and Shaiyeh thanks for the avatar  :heart: Ombyshadow

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal