collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLP Tales appreciation thread  (Read 9196 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: MLP Tales appreciation thread
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2019, 12:02:06 PM »
Maaan I wish we'd gotten the green Rock n Beat band member. Probably the only one I liked.

Seeing it again made me remember what a fun, energetic diva Melody is and how much I liked her.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2019, 12:11:04 PM »
Maaan I wish we'd gotten the green Rock n Beat band member. Probably the only one I liked.

The green one in the cartoon was Tuneful (Tunefull maybe, given that's her US spelling?) Only to me, Tuneful with seasickness. Or Tuneful after she ate too much seaweed. In any case, it was Tuneful. With no horn. In green. Because Hasbro make sense. And also don't know what they're selling. To whom. When.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 04, 2019, 12:28:17 PM »

The green one in the cartoon was Tuneful (Tunefull maybe, given that's her US spelling?) Only to me, Tuneful with seasickness. Or Tuneful after she ate too much seaweed. In any case, it was Tuneful. With no horn. In green. Because Hasbro make sense. And also don't know what they're selling. To whom. When.

Not even...Why and How? 
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 04, 2019, 12:48:22 PM »

Not even...Why and How? 
See above comments about hasbro. Case rested.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 04, 2019, 01:15:38 PM »
oh, I'd love to know where green Tuneful came from. I get her being turned into an Earth pony (the Glowing Magicals were the only non-Earthies in Tales, right?) and I totally get why they simplified her symbol, but.... green...??? Did she take the concept of "going green" a little too literally? :P

Seriously though, I wonder if the animators were working off a prototype design for her or if there was just a miscommunication somewhere down the line. Aside from the Glow ponies being depicted as winged unicorns, green!Tuneful is the character whose cartoon appearance most deviates from her toy appearance, right?

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 04, 2019, 01:50:15 PM »
 Protoype Tuneful a blue Earth pony.

http://mylittlewiki.org/wiki/File:Prototype_tuneful.jpg

But that doesn't explain why they made her green.

Ponyfan

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 04, 2019, 02:04:34 PM »
Technically this show was made in the US and technically the rockin beats and glowing magics were not still on sale at the time tales was going on. In the UK comic often when tgey write about ponies no longer on sale you get detail mistakes...maybe it's that. They based it on a rough idea - pre google!

It is Tuneful though. Somewhere she gets called by name. And tho the comic I posted above shows her in blue I think she had a green moment here too.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2019, 04:47:17 PM »
Tales is my go-to "I feel bad and need a pick-me-up" show. It's a slice of life with ponies. Exactly my thing. I have rollerskating Medley and the pearly Starlight but no proper tales ponies yet. Maybe it could be a first step into customizing for me? Who knows...I did just pick up a cel from the Show n Glow pony scene at Bronycon, which was totally unexpected and neat.
That same vendor also had some of the faceless ponies for lipsync/face movements which was...very interesting!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline bladed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Gotta hit some wasabi mayo to settle the nerves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2019, 11:48:57 PM »
i believe theres a full dvd set of tales out there somewhere, by shoutfactory i believe. might get it - don't think they ship to the UK but maybe i can talk my bf into sending me it, lol. i had some tales episodes when i was younger, i loved them :) i watched it again and the ones i didn't have and still love it.

I have this, I got it from Amazon I think. It's only a US release but it was definitely available to buyers here for a while...

There are some individual UK dvds of Tales eps but only random ones. I used to have a couple, not sure I still do though :/
yep, i had one of them. it had a good... half? of them, i think, maybe over half. the disc is damaged though (from overuse), the last 4 or so episodes only work partially, or in the case of the last one, not at all.
i'll have to have a look on amazon, then... maybe i'll get lucky, but the shipping cost on US amazon would probably double the total price anyway. (edit: it is on US amazon and ships to the UK, but i've not had a look at the shipping cost yet) though actually, that does raise the question of regions. im so used to my only CDs/DVDs not from here being from japan lol.

i also see cels for tales pop up all the time. i wonder why they're so frequent? i've not seen nearly as many for any other g1 cartoons.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 11:56:55 PM by bladed »

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2019, 12:09:19 AM »
i believe theres a full dvd set of tales out there somewhere, by shoutfactory i believe. might get it - don't think they ship to the UK but maybe i can talk my bf into sending me it, lol. i had some tales episodes when i was younger, i loved them :) i watched it again and the ones i didn't have and still love it.

I have this, I got it from Amazon I think. It's only a US release but it was definitely available to buyers here for a while...

There are some individual UK dvds of Tales eps but only random ones. I used to have a couple, not sure I still do though :/
yep, i had one of them. it had a good... half? of them, i think, maybe over half. the disc is damaged though (from overuse), the last 4 or so episodes only work partially, or in the case of the last one, not at all.
i'll have to have a look on amazon, then... maybe i'll get lucky, but the shipping cost on US amazon would probably double the total price anyway. (edit: it is on US amazon and ships to the UK, but i've not had a look at the shipping cost yet) though actually, that does raise the question of regions. im so used to my only CDs/DVDs not from here being from japan lol.

i also see cels for tales pop up all the time. i wonder why they're so frequent? i've not seen nearly as many for any other g1 cartoons.

The US is region one, so unless you have a multiregion player, or want to hack your player codes..., it might be tough to play it. Japan is Region 2, like us (which is awesome, isn't it??!!) so they're no problem. Australian ones also play fine on Region 2 players, I think...but the US is different.

I have a multiregion player back home so I had forgotten about that. My TV here only plays UK and Japanese DVDs on its DVD drive, but I imagine, if you still have a PC with a CD drawer, that might work (or a game console). Depending on how many times you need to mess with it before it locks...
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2019, 12:19:34 AM »
Technically this show was made in the US and technically the rockin beats and glowing magics were not still on sale at the time tales was going on. In the UK comic often when tgey write about ponies no longer on sale you get detail mistakes...maybe it's that. They based it on a rough idea - pre google!

It is Tuneful though. Somewhere she gets called by name. And tho the comic I posted above shows her in blue I think she had a green moment here too.

I also wonder if it simply has something to do with the printing process, rather than being an intentional shift (or a mistake) in design?

I loved the Tales but I'm not sure if I've seen all the episodes - I think my friend had some on VHS. I haven't revisited them as an adult. The toys are some of my favourite pony sets, though. :heart: TBH I didn't even realise that so many of the 90s Euro ponies are Tales characters! Of course it makes sense. I only vaguely remember the Rockin' Beats from the cartoon...

I've been dreaming of the Family Friends & Babies since forever, I have a leaflet from my childhood advertising them. I only have Baby Berrytown so far. But I have all the seven main characters, they were one of the first sets I wanted to complete when I started collecting ponies! Although I also saw some of the older pony cartoons as a kid, including the Movie, the MLP Tales and the toys from this era are the most nostalgic to me. :lovey:     

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline bladed

• Dabbles Pony
  • Gotta hit some wasabi mayo to settle the nerves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2019, 12:39:58 AM »

The US is region one, so unless you have a multiregion player, or want to hack your player codes..., it might be tough to play it. Japan is Region 2, like us (which is awesome, isn't it??!!) so they're no problem. Australian ones also play fine on Region 2 players, I think...but the US is different.

I have a multiregion player back home so I had forgotten about that. My TV here only plays UK and Japanese DVDs on its DVD drive, but I imagine, if you still have a PC with a CD drawer, that might work (or a game console). Depending on how many times you need to mess with it before it locks...
i've heard computer/laptop drives tend not to be region encoded at a hardware level, so i'll have to try it out, since my laptop at home does have one.

it's only £12.75 total now that i've checked, and i'm tempted to buy it immediately because OMG TALES

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2019, 01:53:50 AM »
Found our 1994 annual and took a few photos: https://imgur.com/a/e1Qfsxb

Ace is a nice orangey colour in the annual, he sort of reminds me of Lightning. Melody is "really trendy" (that's a really 90s word :lol:). Patch "says she has seen the Glowing Magic ponies, but nobody really believes her". And Starlight is apparently older than Bon Bon; maybe that means she's older than the other Tales ponies and that's why she's old enough to work in an ice-cream parlour? I could sort of see the ponies being about eleven, they act a lot like kids who are in their last year of primary school (from what I remember of that time): thinking they're really grown up and gossiping about who fancies who, but still being fairly childish in some ways. I suppose they could be intended to resonate with a ten-year-old's ideal of what being a teenager is going to be like; a bit like how Monster High is set in high school but aimed at younger children.

Offline OleGrayMane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • A Third Act Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2019, 04:00:47 PM »
OMG! I just bought a cel from "Up, Up and Away" this weekend with Bon Bon from about the 5:06 mark. There were a ton of them from that episode in a slippery heap on a table, and this was the one I liked best because it had a full character in an active pose.

I have a few cels from the show too. They always seem to pop up at our local ComicCon and they’re like, $5 a piece so I just buy a different one every couple years.

I now know I paid WAY too much!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2019, 06:22:38 PM by OleGrayMane »

Offline PinkieLopBun

• Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2019, 04:12:46 PM »
Wait, $5? I bought a couple cels at BronyCon too and they were $20 a piece (or at least they were at the table I bought them from, there was another selling animation cels that I didn’t buy from).
Follow me on Twitter and Tumblr.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal