collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLP Tales appreciation thread  (Read 9197 times)

Offline pawpatrolbab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Power Puff Pony
  • Never be afraid to be yourself
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
Re: MLP Tales appreciation thread
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2019, 04:30:56 PM »
I haven't been able to find the episodes anywhere, but I remember watching it back in the day and loving it
🌈Wordpress Blog: https://natescoloringbook.wordpress.com/
✨Tumblr Blog: https://crayoncritter.tumblr.com/
I don't have much of a collection anymore due to immigrating but I hope to bring my trade score up so I can participate in the future! Always open and looking to make friends with fellow adults 💙 Please don't hesitate to shoot me a message!

Offline PinkieLopBun

• Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2019, 06:30:15 PM »
I haven't been able to find the episodes anywhere, but I remember watching it back in the day and loving it
Does this work in your country?
https://tubitv.com/series/1584/my_little_pony_tales
Follow me on Twitter and Tumblr.

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2019, 07:32:59 PM »
I really like Tales.  :)  I also used to watch it on Disney Channel.  I got the Shout Factory DVD a few years ago.  It's been a while since I've seen the episodes.

I really liked "Princess Problems" "Up Up and Away" (that's the one with the Glow n Show/Glowing Magic ponies) and  "Ponies in Paradise"  I don't own any of the  Tales ponies but I'd love to. :)

Ponyfan

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2019, 12:17:36 AM »
I also love MLP Tales.

I kind of had to learn to call it that though because I didn't see the episodes as a kid. Shaz mentioned the annual, I think - the UK comics from around 1993 to the end were all about these pony characters, though, so I did know them, love them and so on. There are some minor differences between the two in how they're written though. In the comic, Bright Eyes was my favourite. In the show, she's a lot more bossy. In the comic she was quite shy and awkward. In the cartoon, Starlight is my favourite.

The toys were sold here over 2 years and it must be assumed that it would continue as the first set had combs and ribbons and the second had stickers...they were originally sold here as Seven Characters which is the name I still consider valid for them, though the rerelease called them Pony Friends. We already have sets with that name though so yeah, Seven Characters :)

For me G4 has the mane 6, G3 had the core seven, G1 had the Seven Characters. Whereas the term "Tales" to me refers to all the ponies in the show, real and otherwise. So the Sunbrights etc are Tales ponies too :)

I had Bright Eyes from new as a kid. Actually my sister and I had all of them from new once my parents found this London clearance store in 1994-5, but the only one I bought myself was Bright Eyes as she was my favourite.

I remember it because we were on holiday in Barmouth in North Wales. It was probably 1992. I remember for some reason there was Bright Eyes and there was a Starlight on a Spanish card which I was intrigued by and for a moment thought about buying that for the card, before common sense kicked in. (Aged 10 I was looking at card variations >.>. Hopeless).

So the show. I can see this will be an unpopular opinion but I like Patch least. Both as a pony and as a character. I like Starlight best because she's mostly grounded (except for her silly crush on Ace and her attempts to match up to him). I would like Sweetheart more if she spoke more normally. Clover is also cute.

The first time I saw Tales eps was on a VHS my sister borrowed from a friend. They aired here in...1995ish, on cable (it might have been Sky1) and we didn't have cable but my sister's friend did, and they taped them all. I got to see most of the episodes I hadn't seen as a kid (so all but 4) through this method and I loved Tales as soon as I saw it. But the audio was occasionally wonky, it took me a long time to realise Clover's sister was called Meadowlark as it sounded funny (I guess US pronunciation as well?)

I still think of this set when I list them or write about them in the theme song order. Starlight, Sweetheart, Melody, Bright Eyes, Patch and Clover. Bon Bon's baking cookies girls, hurry up on over!

Some of the songs are really cute too.

I never had a problem with the ponies as more humanlike, I tend to see MLP Friends in terms of mediaeval ponyland and this as more the nineties that I was growing up in at the time.

Also, though, I had a disconnect with the original series because of the US names for ponies, sets etc, and ponies that didn't exist (they did, I just didn't know it) taking key roles, like Truly.

In the Tales eps, it felt less like that. I've said it before and it's been mooted, but I wonder if there was ever an intention to sell the ponies in North America and whether this was animated more for a European audience, because of the prominence of football (albeit admittedly called soccer) and most importantly the inclusion of the "Glowing Magical" ponies. In the US that'd be Glow and Show, but in the UK that's what we called them - Glowing Magic ponies. It's so close that it sounds like they were catering to THIS market, although the show aired in the US as well.

I don't think to date we've ever come across anything suggesting any ponies from the 1993-4 years were ever going to be sold stateside.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2019, 03:18:03 AM »
In the Tales eps, it felt less like that. I've said it before and it's been mooted, but I wonder if there was ever an intention to sell the ponies in North America and whether this was animated more for a European audience, because of the prominence of football (albeit admittedly called soccer) and most importantly the inclusion of the "Glowing Magical" ponies. In the US that'd be Glow and Show, but in the UK that's what we called them - Glowing Magic ponies. It's so close that it sounds like they were catering to THIS market, although the show aired in the US as well.

It really seems like that was what happened. The cartoon also heavily featured the Schoolhouse, which was a previously released European exclusive playset. I'm guessing as the US toyline was winding down, they made this cartoon to help keep it going for a few more years in Europe (where I assume MLP sales must've been stronger). But they also aired it in the US, because hey they might as well as they already made it.

However, Tales would be exceptional either way. Either it's a cartoon produced in the US, for an Europan audience in order to sell toys in that region only. I don't think something like that ever happened before or since.

OR, from a US perspective, it's a cartoon based on and meant to promote a toyline, but doesn't feature characters that are actually sold as toys. That's also a pretty unique and unconventional approach (I believe the '90s Littlest Pet Shop cartoon did they same thing, but that was after Tales). In a way it kind of makes sense. At the time MLP characters were only on shelves for about 1-2 years, so them being featured in the cartoon becomes irrelevant once the toys are no longer available. And since cartoons are expensive, that seems like a bad investment. But if you make the main characters more generic and not directly tied to the toys, but they can still represent the toyline as a whole, you might get some more mileage out of that cartoon. That could possibly have been Hasbro's thought process at the time. Because the idea to just have a group of core characters that you keep in constant production had not entered their brains at this time.  :biggrin:

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2019, 04:42:51 AM »
I love My Little Pony Tales, I'd have liked for it to have had more episodes.  I honestly never felt that the characters didn't need to be ponies like some people have said - they never seemed any more anthropomorphic than any other My Little Pony cartoon characters to me, and maybe the fact that they were all ponies was enough to tell me they were ponies.

I also have to remind myself that they are all around ten, despite very clearly being in school.  I will admit, that this comes from watching My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic first - I have gotten used to the idea that a ten year old pony should look like the CMC, just a little older so I see the Seven Friends as being around the Mane Six's age by appearance alone, and then I'm reminded by the show that they are all school children (I am not saying G4 is the supreme generation that every other generation has to obey the canon of - it's just how watching that one first affected how I "age" the ponies in my mind.)

Bon Bon is my favorite, though I'm not sure why - I just like her.  She was the main character in the first episode I ever watched, and I will admit that the fact that the brony name for a background pony I liked came from her made me take notice of her (even if it was a simple, "Oh, is that who Bon Bon is?"), and I think I have a nostalgic attachment to her since I started Tales with her, but I do find her a likable pony - I like all of the Seven Friends, though I need to remind myself of Starlight's personality.

I enjoy a lot of the Tales episodes (I don't think I hate any, though "The Tea Party" was low on my list at first, because I misinterpreted part of it.)  "Up Up and Away" is my favorite, because I love the Glow and Show Ponies - they are interesting to me and beautifully designed.  My headcanon around them is basically inspired by this episode; they could be a group of ponies who go around saving others when they really need them, but it's done in such a way, few ponies know they exist, or something.  I actually wondered if they would have been addressed again, if Tales had more episodes, though I realise that not every show sets up a storyline for everything.

Also, I will admit I came close to calling it G2.  I knew there was never a G2 cartoon, but then someone mentioned there was and it was the one where they had cars and went to school or whatever, but I didn't know what that commenter meant, and then one day when my speakers weren't working I had to watch YouTube on my TiVo, and looking for MLP episodes (of any generation) to watch, I found Tales, and as I didn't recognise it as part of any of the other generations, I think there was at least a moment of "Wait... is there a G2 cartoon after all?"

But yeah, I know it's not aG2 cartoon - it's the new (at the time) G1 cartoon.
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2019, 05:45:39 AM »
I revisited Tales last year. While some of it was a bit dull or cringey at how heavy handed they were. I still found a lot to enjoy about it. I also got sweet childhood nostalgia. Its my second favorite MLP cartoon. I would love to have Clover, Bon Bon, the Sunbrights, Berrytowns and Patch. (Ha! Yeah right.) My favorite characters are Sweetheart, Clover" Patch and Lancer. Dazzle Glow is my only Tales toy. I'm on the lookout for Star Glow. Its hard to remember that they're Tales characters. Even as a kid I always just saw them as MLP toys.

I just revisited this comment, and here in the UK we had the comics, so it was a touch confusing...the Glowing Magic ponies were in the old style comics, and so were Tuneful and the Rockin Beats...with Sweet Notes on vocal. AND THEN Tales happened, and it was like they got reinvented, esp. the Rockin' Beats. I remember them being on sale here for along time, and then end of the line German carded ones at discount. I had them all by then though...which says how long they were out for, given that I could rarely afford adult ponies, and only one of them was bought for me. I can't remember offhand if the Glowing Magics appeared in the comic in the way they did in the show. I remember Princess Sparkle being in someone's dream in the comic though. Glowing Magic Ponies were not still on sale at the time the tales ponies came out, not like the Rockin' Beats, so maybe not? Rockin' Beats never had Tales style cards here, though...even if they were out at the same time, they still had the bordered cards from the original pre-tales release.

I had never thought of them as 'tales ponies' because they were in the comics, but I guess you guys didn't have the comics, so they would be...tales ponies. O.o.

I have to admit, people calling Tales G2 is one of my trigger points. xD.

Also! The ten years old thing bothers me. How do we read this ten? In pony years? Human years? I saw them as young teenagers until the tenth birthday party episode, and I was weirded out. Remembering I saw this series for the first time when I was about 13...and it resonated to me...as a thirteen year old. I would never have had those kinds of conversations at ten. And I wasn't allowed to babysit my sister until I was 12 I think at least. So yeah. That bothered me. Do ten year olds go to rock concerts together? I mean, yeah, they have sleepovers and keep diaries, but do they perform in rock concerts? Weird.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 05:49:15 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2019, 07:33:45 AM »
That's interesting about the Glowing Magic Ponies being in the older comics.

Tales being called G2 annoys the crap outta me. Especially since they act like they know more then people who actually grew up with it. I despise retconners, because they only propagate arrogant and willful ignorance.

Hasbro isn't particularly horse or child savvy and ten year olds don't work at ice cream shops. A horse in their teens would be 2-3 years old. They are considered fully mature at
5. So 10 would be an adult. A horse in their teens is middle aged, 20s old, 30s on their last legs.

In short, this is just Hasbro, Hasbroing.

Clover is my favorite toy. I don't exactly like Patch, because in the show she looks a tad more yellowish then peach, and I'm not overly fond of the peach/pink combo.

I wish that Princess Rosie had kept her lovely blue hair.

I liked Jing-a-ling and Ting-a-ling, and I wish they'd been made as newborn twins.

The intro is also my favorite. Its warm and sweet and very nicely sung. I prefer it over Friends, G3 and FiM. As with all pony cartoons, its songs are mostly mediocre to bad, with a few good ones sprinkled in.

I never understood the popularity of Teddy and Ace. Ace had a boring design and was relegated to the stuck-up jock role. Teddy was his jerky friend.

Starlight is the other brainy one of the group. She really shoulda took her wiser friends advice when they said Ace likes Ace best.

Unfortunately, I've only been able to find a few episodes that aren't reviews. So I haven't revisited all of it, and I could never find it in stores when it was released.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 07:40:23 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2019, 09:18:55 AM »
That's interesting about the Glowing Magic Ponies being in the older comics.

Tales being called G2 annoys the crap outta me. Especially since they act like they know more then people who actually grew up with it. I despise retconners, because they only propagate arrogant and willful ignorance.

Yes...I don't mind the people who genuinely don't realise it's not G2 but the ones who insist it is G2 because they know better and animation pwns all...those people I don't have time for. There's a difference between actual not knowing and retconning ignorance :o)

I'll try and find some Glowing Magic comic images. I wonder if I have any. I wonder if LM has any...hrm.

Edit: I seem to have some confusingly inconsistent Dazzleglow ones on my site. One is from a monthly 'pony of the month' thing. I must have the others too somewhere, since I can see their legs in the middle image. Comic art at this point was a bit odd...

Lancer was the awesome guy :D In the comics he changed colours frequently though which was confusing...

I like Teddy more than Ace because I feel like he's a problem kid who can be reformed because at the core of it he has a heart. Ace just needs a slap. Starlight's crush on him is her one weakness for me.

The song about the frog is my favourite. It's so sad and yet so cute.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 09:36:43 AM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2019, 09:35:51 AM »
I never understood the popularity of Teddy and Ace. Ace had a boring design and was relegated to the stuck-up jock role. Teddy was his jerky friend.

Starlight is the other brainy one of the group. She really shoulda took her wiser friends advice when they said Ace likes Ace best.

Unfortunately, I've only been able to find a few episodes that aren't reviews. So I haven't revisited all of it, and I could never find it in stores when it was released.

Did you see any of the Teddy-centric episodes ("Blue Ribbon Blues" or "Shop Talk")? Because I really think those might change your mind about Teddy. Not that I'm biased or anything....lol! ;)

The song about the frog is my favourite. It's so sad and yet so cute.

Me, too! "Off You Go" is just soooo sweet and adorable. <3

That Dutch Diary pony is such an awesome shade of blue Teddy! :lovey:

Your ponies are so beautiful! I adore Dutch Diary Pony so much.

Thank you! I agree, that striking blue they used for her is just to die for! I wish they had used that on other ponies, too. Just gorgeous!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 09:38:52 AM by Teddy »

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline bladed

• Dabbles Pony
  • Gotta hit some wasabi mayo to settle the nerves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2019, 09:44:39 AM »
i believe theres a full dvd set of tales out there somewhere, by shoutfactory i believe. might get it - don't think they ship to the UK but maybe i can talk my bf into sending me it, lol. i had some tales episodes when i was younger, i loved them :) i watched it again and the ones i didn't have and still love it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 09:48:23 AM by bladed »

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2019, 10:03:33 AM »
i believe theres a full dvd set of tales out there somewhere, by shoutfactory i believe. might get it - don't think they ship to the UK but maybe i can talk my bf into sending me it, lol. i had some tales episodes when i was younger, i loved them :) i watched it again and the ones i didn't have and still love it.

I have this, I got it from Amazon I think. It's only a US release but it was definitely available to buyers here for a while...

There are some individual UK dvds of Tales eps but only random ones. I used to have a couple, not sure I still do though :/

Going back to comics prior and post Tales...I went digging through my photos and here are some examples (in spoiler tags so as not to kill everyone's browsers!) Some are not the best pics but they're all I have right now.

Pre:Tales:

Rockin' Beats
Spoiler

Spoiler

Glowing Magic Ponies.
Spoiler
Spoiler

Spoiler

Rockin' Beats
Spoiler

And some other Tales-related comic stuff:

Bright Eyes is a cute bookworm
Spoiler

Extra Cast Members
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

It does show the difference between comic style and format pre and post the change as well.

I can't find any glowing magic stuff from the tales comics but I have gaps in the tales editions so there may be something I don't know about or haven't taken a picture of.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline twilysparks

• McDonald's Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2019, 10:51:05 AM »
I quite like MLP Tales! Very cute show that is kind of simple, but in a good way. Melody's my favorite.
:happy: Fan of all MLP generations, especially G4 and G1! :happy:
MLP Wishlist: https://data.mlpmerch.com/wishlist/1694/
MLP Checklist: https://data.mlpmerch.com/checklist/1694/

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2019, 11:56:45 AM »
@Taffeta You could definitely say Dazz's toy was comic accurate, considering there are so many variations of her in terms of color, and heart/star distribution. XD ;) I remember my childhood girl being a darker purple. While my adult one is sorta pinkish-purple. That could just  be aging though.

Those comics are neato.

@Teddy Oh no. I'd never call you biased. :silly: I have. Though not in a long time. He's just not one of my favorite characters.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 12:00:00 PM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2019, 11:59:49 AM »
@Taffeta You could definitely Dazz's toy was comic accurate, considering there are so many variations of her in terms of color, and heart/star distribution. XD ;) I remember my childhood girl being a darker purple. While my adult one is sorta pinkish-purple. That couldjust  be aging though.

They covered all bases! THe blueheart was based on the US version in the advertising. I have no idea about the others. We had pink heart here, but the comic didn't usually update from the US version to the UK version if there was a difference (Baby splashes always had purple hair and you'll see Pretty Beat had blue...) but...I think they were just bemused by this pony with star heart measles xD.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal