collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: MLP Tales appreciation thread  (Read 9263 times)

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
MLP Tales appreciation thread
« on: August 02, 2019, 08:23:01 PM »
Ahhh, Tales... that time when we had a Core Seven we didn't hate (?)
Tales was a MLP cartoon that came out in the 90s as a vehicle for later G1 toys, and ran for only one season worth of episodes. It was set in a human style world and not a High Fantasy land.

I created this thread to talk about all things Tales, from characters to episode discussions to screengrabs to photos of your much coveted Tales G1s (they only came out in certain countries... here, they were called "TV Star ponies").

Personally, I love Tales. I think it's weird and funny but also cute and some of the lessons learned aged really well.

What did you think of the characters? I really loved Patch. She was such a nicely done "tomboy" character. She liked soccer, practical jokes, but also liked dance and going to the salon. Her dreamjob was to be a clown and she believed in the supernatural and aliens. Patch was also revealed to be adopted in one episode.
Also, her symbol was so literal and cute. She always looked like she fell on her butt while roughhousing and had an ouchie.
She was awesome and I am still on the hunt for her toy.

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
Re: MLP Tales appreciation thread
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2019, 09:42:30 PM »
I rewatched some of it a couple weeks ago (I didn't grow up with it, my first exposure of it back on youtube in like 2007...?) and I love this:

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

They're in a vet, but there's a horse in the picture on the wall. Does that mean ponies keep horses as pets?! There was this part of "Princess Problems"...

And one more screencap I took by accident but adore (and am using as a Discord icon):

Very Good Images aside, I like Patch too, she's probably my favourite, but I think I'd have to watch more to be sure.

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2019, 11:45:59 PM »
     I liked mlp tales. It isn’t my favourite of the cartoons, but it’s pretty alright. Although having horses as pets/animals to pull carriages...perhaps they have different ethics to us humans, and see it as perfectly acceptable.
     I don’t have a lot of March or any of the toys from this cartoon, but I do have an animation cell from an episode. Not sure what episode, I’m still working on that part. But I like to look at it. It makes me feel somewhat inspired to look at something a predecessor in my desired field has worked on, and even more inspired to have the physical thing in my hands.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 12:55:27 AM »
It's weird. Shows about anthropomorphized animals living just like humans aren't uncommon, but I feel like the reason for this is that it's an easy way to distinguish the characters from each other. Also you can make use of it by working some of the animals' commonly known traits into the characterization. But then you have Tales where none of this matters, because every character looks exactly the same anyway and there is absolutely zero relevance to them being horses (except at most a horse pun here and there). Yet, this also makes it unique and fascinating.

I find it better and much more watchable than the MLP n Friends series. It really helps that it has a set group of main characters with easily identifiable personalities. Also it's all about the ponies! In Friends there were way too many non-pony creatures that took up space and the ponies seemed regulated to secondary characters in several episodes. I somehow also think the world building in Tales is more interesting. You can easily imagine many different ponies living all around the world, which is similar to ours, but not exactly the same. They have their own cultures, history, legends and apparently there are ponies from different planets too. In the previous show, the ponies' world was fantastical but also completely random, didn't follow any rules and anything could show up. Sounds fun in concept, yet I felt it was mostly just boring.

The implication that non-sentient horses exist in the Tales'universe is weird as heck, and I'm not surprised they didn't touch much on this. That they felt the need to go there at all is pretty baffling.

When it comes to the toys though, I could never go with Tales over the earlier G1 ones (the Tales families with multicolored hair are pretty awesome however). As a result Tales is mostly a fun curiosity for me. Not a big focus of my MLP fandom.

Offline Minty_Magic

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 01:16:55 AM »
I love MLP Tales! I actually wish it had a few more episodes, I really liked that group of characters! Its unpopular, but I also like the low fantasy, more down to earth setting. I’ve never really been a big fan of high stakes adventures or wild creatures. I kinda like to see ponies just being pals. :p Patch is probably my favorite of the bunch. :) I wish Rainbow Dash had been written more like her. I also like Bright Eyes and Bon Bon a bunch! Someday I would like to have the toy versions of them.

I have a few cels from the show too. They always seem to pop up at our local ComicCon and they’re like, $5 a piece so I just buy a different one every couple years. :lol: Someday when I have a proper pony room I think they’ll be a fun way to fill some wall space.

Thank you to Squarepeg for my avatar!

Offline Shaz

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2019, 01:50:45 AM »
My girlfriend had the 1994 MLP annual as part of her childhood pony collection, and it focuses exclusively on the Tales ponies. Although she liked the high fantasy of earlier G1, the Tales slice-of-life stuff was awesome too. Her favourite story was one about the ponies putting on a play. She always wanted an Ace toy, we were very peeved when we discovered that Ace was never a toy!

We have Bright Eyes in our collection and I love her. She's the ideal pony for me because I love writing, so I love her symbol. Her colours are pretty too.

Watched the cartoon a couple of years ago on YouTube. It's cute! I liked Patch and her belief in extraterrestrials. I seem to remember at one point the Glowing Magic ponies turn up but only she can see them.

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2019, 04:02:03 AM »
I really like mlp tales and i'm glad there is a thread for it now.
I don't really know what to say, besided that I like the characters and it was the first show i started watching after fim. It makes me feel happy and my favourite charatcer is sweetheart. Im personally not to fond of the whole anthro thing, mostly because in one epsiode where bon bon wnats to be a model, in the song, there is a picture of a pony with human breasts. That just kinda scarred me.
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline PinkieLopBun

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mighty Morphin Power Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2019, 04:51:39 AM »
Tales doesn't look quite how I remember it.
https://youtu.be/SvUFohYHe5Y

On a serious note, I watched all the episodes on Tubi TV earlier this year. It's a good show.
Follow me on Twitter and Tumblr.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2019, 07:29:16 AM »
I revisited Tales last year. While some of it was a bit dull or cringey at how heavy handed they were. I still found a lot to enjoy about it. I also got sweet childhood nostalgia. Its my second favorite MLP cartoon. I would love to have Clover, Bon Bon, the Sunbrights, Berrytowns and Patch. (Ha! Yeah right.) My favorite characters are Sweetheart, Clover" Patch and Lancer. Dazzle Glow is my only Tales toy. I'm on the lookout for Star Glow. Its hard to remember that they're Tales characters. Even as a kid I always just saw them as MLP toys.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 07:34:58 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2019, 08:02:06 AM »
Bon Bon’s making cookies, girls. Hurry up on over!...I grew up with Pony Tails on the Disney Channel at my cousins house.  I still love it. I haven’t been able to really watch the other MLP shows all the way through other than FiM and MLPT. I still get the theme song stuck in my head.

I’m bummed that we didn’t get the toys here or that the didn’t make toys of Ace, Teddy, and Lancer. I did buy customs of Ace and Teddy from Wizzer218 awhile back to go with my girls. I kind of find it odd that they were made as adult ponies as toys. My favorite episode is the lost princess one and always wanted a toy of Rosie. Maybe the horse picture on the vet wall is the vet pony’s professional pic and the carriage ponies are paid to pull the carriage? Or maybe in their world horses are to ponies like chimps are to humans? Like 98% alike genetically but still very different behaviorally?

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline LadySatine

• Trade Count: (+230)
  • G3 Rosey Pony
  • It's time for the robot test!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2019, 08:37:35 AM »
I remember that show!!!! I had Disney for a short time and I would watch it when I could. I didn't know there were ponies that went with it until I was adult. I think a have a couple, but they're not what I'm currently seeking. But yes, great show! <3

Vintage toys on Ebay:MLP Customs on Etsy: :freak: Commission Status: CLOSED:Avatar by FloralHippo:Siggy pony by Griffin :lol:

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2019, 10:02:24 AM »
Maybe the clydesdale ponies are like the people who used to taxi people around by pulling carts by themselves instead of with horses?

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2019, 10:40:11 AM »
I don't think there should be any question as to whether I'm a fan of Tales or not. ;)

I fell in love with this show when I saw it for the first time on the Disney channel in 1993. My little pre-teen self was in love with Teddy for years (ok, still might be to a small degree...lol). I had grown up with the original cartoon (which I loved as well), but Tales was like a breath of fresh air for me. I really liked the more "real-life" situations the characters dealt with, and of course just loved the fact there were boy ponies as well this time. I guess the show just came to me at a time when I could relate to it on a personal level, so it will always hold a special place in my heart. ^-^

Fav characters would be Teddy and Sweetheart for sure, though I do rather like Clover, Bon Bon, and Lancer as well. I have all the "7 characters" ponies that were released, as well as their Dutch versions. And customs of Ace, Lancer, and several of Teddy too of course. You can see all my Tales stuff (if interested anyway) on my website (link in sig), but here are the Tales girls in their original and Dutch releases:

I love that there are still other Tales fans out there! This show is so largely forgotten in the pony community. <3

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2019, 10:57:37 AM »
That Dutch Diary pony is such an awesome shade of blue Teddy! :lovey:

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2019, 03:15:57 PM »
I like Tales, it's cute! I don't know who my favorite character would be based on personality, but Bright Eyes has my favorite color scheme. I don't own any of the Tales ponies yet... I'd like them all though someday.

I don't think there should be any question as to whether I'm a fan of Tales or not. ;)

I fell in love with this show when I saw it for the first time on the Disney channel in 1993. My little pre-teen self was in love with Teddy for years (ok, still might be to a small degree...lol). I had grown up with the original cartoon (which I loved as well), but Tales was like a breath of fresh air for me. I really liked the more "real-life" situations the characters dealt with, and of course just loved the fact there were boy ponies as well this time. I guess the show just came to me at a time when I could relate to it on a personal level, so it will always hold a special place in my heart. ^-^

Fav characters would be Teddy and Sweetheart for sure, though I do rather like Clover, Bon Bon, and Lancer as well. I have all the "7 characters" ponies that were released, as well as their Dutch versions. And customs of Ace, Lancer, and several of Teddy too of course. You can see all my Tales stuff (if interested anyway) on my website (link in sig), but here are the Tales girls in their original and Dutch releases:

Spoiler

I love that there are still other Tales fans out there! This show is so largely forgotten in the pony community. <3

Your ponies are so beautiful! I adore Dutch Diary Pony so much.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal