collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Imagine the Mane 6 went back in time and came back with a retro twist!  (Read 4859 times)

Offline Ponyfan

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
Re: Imagine the Mane 6 went back in time and came back with a retro twist!
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2019, 11:55:47 AM »

Two other things.

First - CP ponies definitely not the original M6. Never in the animation, not rereleased in every pose and possible gimmick ever. Yeah, the US had them ad nauseum through mail order, but they really don't have the same presence as some of the later sets do (particularly like the SS ponies that dominated the later animation, or even Firefly and AJ's actual sets).

Secondly - what's the point in telling the fans about the inspiration for the M6 and then put an image of 6 completely unrelated ponies on the bottom of the page? Like, this is the original M6 but we based our M6 on six completely different ponies and we're not going to show them to you.

(sigh).

I totally agree with you on both points. It would make more sense to show the ponies that the Mane 6 are based on which I guess would be 7 since Rarity has 2 ponies instead of 1. Also just call the original 6 the original 6. They are not the core cast of G1.

That being said I do like the artwork.

G1 Twilight the unicorn is my army pony so Hasbro did release a Twilight Sparkle with the same number of stars I might get her.

Ponyfan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thank you SDS for my avatar and sig

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2019, 02:59:59 PM »
The one thing that jumped out at me from that page is...

"Inspired by two original ponies, "Glory" and "Sparkler," today's retro-style Rarity is more fabulous than ever!"

For me she's always been based on Glory as well as Sparkler. Nice that Hasbro think so too. Because I don't understand how anyone could see anything other than Glory for that colour base, even if the diamonds are Sparkler's symbol.
Lauren confirmed at least once that there was some inspiration from Glory in the "finalized" Rarity - she posted pictures of her G1 collection that inspired her G4 cast and she showed both Sparkler and Glory for Rarity.

Interesting. I've had people tell me numerous times in irritating fashion, "no, she's based on SPARKLER, look at her CUTIE MARK" that seeing that from Hasbro just made me feel validated for sticking to my Glory guns.

I don't like Faust's pony world view particularly for various reasons, but it's pretty obvious that Glory's more of the visual inspiration than Sparkler overall. I am guessing Sparkler for the gem collecting, albeit Rarity's character doesn't reflect either of them so :/

In any case, I bought Rarity in Finland in 2011 because she reminded me of Glory and Glory was a favourite for me as a kid. I never for one moment looked at her and thought of Sparkler :/ And still don't. I mean, Peachy and Snuzzle have the same symbol but it doesn't make them related.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2019, 03:02:34 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Wind~Whistler

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
  • You got a twinkle in your eyes!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2019, 04:58:03 PM »
Interesting. I've had people tell me numerous times in irritating fashion, "no, she's based on SPARKLER, look at her CUTIE MARK"
I take it the people saying that were mostly bronies :P
Yeah, for the longest time I had the thought that Rarity was technically a mix of:
-G1 Glory: Design
-G1 Sparkler: Symbol
-G3 Rarity: Name
-G3 Rainbow Dash: Personality

Glad to see Hasbro putting both G1 inspos there. Glory deserved credit where it was due.
AKA Wind~Whistler on the TP 

http://www.ponylandtours.com
Thanks to Philly for my avi!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2019, 09:18:35 PM »
I've changed my mind. I can't buy these. I can't deal with another 5-8 years of this mane suxx tripe, regardless of how horsey it may look.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2019, 01:13:37 AM »
Interesting. I've had people tell me numerous times in irritating fashion, "no, she's based on SPARKLER, look at her CUTIE MARK"
I take it the people saying that were mostly bronies :P

Yes, well, bronies are people too. Even if some of them act like aliens. Though this was actually back at the start of G4 mostly, when I had Rarity and commented on her Gloryness and got told that ACTUALLY she was more based on Sparkler...

I don't remember specifically who.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2019, 06:54:58 AM »
I do like how much effort went into the symbols for these, like RD's Lightning-esque symbol (they're way too close for it to be a coincidence) and how they're overall more G1-styled instead of just being the G4 symbols exactly. I dig stuff like that.

Those vectors though... oof. :p Another reason I prefer hand-drawn art instead of manipulating the same vectors over and over... and what's with those colours they gave the COLLECTOR ponies (I refuse to call them the "original mane 6" >____<)?? They don't have hair streaks like that! Ugh, I feel like they did that just to make them look more like the main sux. Why else would they give Blossom those Twilight Sparkle-esque highlights.

still, it's cool that these have their own page :O I wonder if that means we might see more of these weird little things? It'd be weird to make a whole page and art and such just for ONE set, right? (I know the art of RD, Pinkie etc is probably from the set's box - but they still had to make those vectors of the collector ponies..) Hmmmm. Very interesting.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2019, 07:00:41 AM »
I do like how much effort went into the symbols for these, like RD's Lightning-esque symbol (they're way too close for it to be a coincidence)

I think it's a coincidence, personally. Hasbro US had nothing to do with Lightning. It would be a very odd set of events for them to suddenly notice him and his symbol when they've paid very little attention to G1 at all for years. It's a fairly generic symbol and it has more colours and bolts than Lightning's. I think it just happened that way.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2019, 07:06:48 AM »
I disagree, IMO they're almost identical (of course it has multiple colours/bolts, it's Rainbow Dash!). Hasbro US didn't have anything to do with the Mountain Boys, sure, but I don't see that there's anything stopping a random Hasbro worker from googling "G1 ponies with lightning symbols" and finding him that way...?

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2019, 07:10:12 AM »
I disagree, IMO they're almost identical (of course it has multiple colours/bolts, it's Rainbow Dash!). Hasbro US didn't have anything to do with the Mountain Boys, sure, but I don't see that there's anything stopping a random Hasbro worker from googling "G1 ponies with lightning symbols" and finding him that way...?

I suppose so, but if that's the depths of knowledge and research they've descended to, it doesn't say much for their team. In any case, Dash isn't based off Lightning, but Firefly. It would have made more sense to use her bolts, rather than Lightning's cloud. So for me it's either a grandiose coincidence or they messed up the message of "Firefly with lightning bolts" and ended up with Lightning.

I personally don't think it's same enough to be directly taken from him. I think it's more likely an attempt to merge Firefly's bolts with the fact Dash has a cloud already, and three colours (I think?) in her lightning bolt. They've made it more G1ish, but it's not the same as Lightning for me. Too many bolts and too much colour overall.

But we're all speculating. We really don't know for sure.

Just that it's an unnatural symbol to choose except that Dash has a cloud and lightning already, and they wanted to incorporate that.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2019, 07:17:59 AM »
No one's saying RD was based on Lightning?

Yeah, it probably would've made more sense to give her Firefly-esque bolts, but.. RD's symbol is a tricoloured lightning bolt coming from a cloud. Lightning's symbol is a cloud with lightning bolts in it. This set is meant to have G1-esque versions of the G4 symbols. So basing RD's symbol off the closest G1 equivalent makes sense to me.

I suppose so, but if that's the depths of knowledge and research they've descended to, it doesn't say much for their team.

Yeah, but it's Hasbro we're talking about, here ;)

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2019, 07:28:06 AM »
No one's saying RD was based on Lightning?

No, I know, but I mean that Hasbro went to the trouble of saying on their website that she was inspired by Firefly but then gave her a symbol you guys think looks more like Lightning's. Which I see your point, even if I don't agree, but which overall doesn't make a lot of sense unless it was (as you say) a google fluke or a mix up over the names/symbols somewhere along the line.
Yeah, it probably would've made more sense to give her Firefly-esque bolts, but.. RD's symbol is a tricoloured lightning bolt coming from a cloud. Lightning's symbol is a cloud with lightning bolts in it. This set is meant to have G1-esque versions of the G4 symbols. So basing RD's symbol off the closest G1 equivalent makes sense to me.

But to do that would have meant them googling or using the MLP Wiki and honestly, I would like to think Hasbro are more professional than that (I want to believe it. >.>  I really want to believe it). Hasbro Inc have pretty much zero claim or connection to anything sold over here, so I think, honestly, it was just a reframing of the Dash symbol to make it look more G1ish.

The Lightning connection would only stand out to G1 collectors/fans. Hasbro aren't G1 collectors or fans. The website kind of proves that from the CP ponies being the M6.

I mean, in the end...this might be the case:
I suppose so, but if that's the depths of knowledge and research they've descended to, it doesn't say much for their team.

Yeah, but it's Hasbro we're talking about, here ;)

BUT I really want to hope there's more professionalism involved than just googling for a G1 pony that had lightning and a cloud for a symbol.

When it comes to it, Thundercloud also has lightning and a cloud for a symbol, albeit one bolt and rain.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2019, 07:32:50 AM »
Eh.
I think it's coincidence.

They needed to keep the cloud. There's only so much you can do with bolts and clouds.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2019, 07:38:43 AM »
Eh.
I think it's coincidence.

They needed to keep the cloud. There's only so much you can do with bolts and clouds.

G3 Dash also has rainbow and clouds so keeping both those elements was maybe more important, given that.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Lilja

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2019, 08:30:42 AM »
Is it common to depict a thundercloud like that though? With the lightning bolts sticking out of the cloud from both sides?

Wouldn't be the first time Mountain Boy stuff weirdly ended up in G1 retro stuff.  :biggrin:

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2019, 09:04:13 AM »
Is it common to depict a thundercloud like that though? With the lightning bolts sticking out of the cloud from both sides?

Not common... but I've seen it.

That's why I said there's only so many ways to draw a cloud and bolt.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal