collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Imagine the Mane 6 went back in time and came back with a retro twist!  (Read 4949 times)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Kudos for ragamuffin for spotting this.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

https://mylittlepony.hasbro.com/en-us/characters/retro-ponies

Apparently Hasbro is referring to this inbetweener line as "retro" and has made a page for it along side the main line, Equestria girls, and cutie mark crew.

There's been discussion about this style in the SDCC twilight thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,395743.0.html

And leave a whispers opinion thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,395753.0.html

And I thought there was a thread we discussed the Amazon exclusive.. I'll look for it later...(or maybe it's only hidden in LaW's thread...)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R5PSPS7/

Anyway, I thought we needed a consolidated discussion thread. :)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 10:09:44 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
So one thing I noticed is that the new symbols of the ponies directly mimic the pony they were inspired by.  Posey has six flowers in a circle, so Fluttershy has six flowers in a circle.  Twilight has nine stars, so Twilight Sparkle has nine stars.  (I think even in the same positions.)

But my favorite is Rainbow Dash's symbol.  Love it.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
So one thing I noticed is that the new symbols of the ponies directly mimic the pony they were inspired by.  Posey has six flowers in a circle, so Fluttershy has six flowers in a circle.  Twilight has nine stars, so Twilight Sparkle has nine stars.  (I think even in the same positions.)

But my favorite is Rainbow Dash's symbol.  Love it.

I love it too- so retro!  I'm glad some actual thought went into the symbol design-  I'm very keen to see the box art too :D

I'd also love if they released a second set with just the inspiration ponies... (Posy, Firefly, etc.)

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
I love the symbols! If only we had this amount of care in the usual toyline.  :P
Inspiration pony set would be great!

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
I'd also love if they released a second set with just the inspiration ponies... (Posy, Firefly, etc.)

Yes!
That would really just tie things in full circle..

If I was a kid is be wondering "who is this surprise.. what does she look like .."

I also really love rainbow dash's new symbol.. feels very classic

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile

Yes!
That would really just tie things in full circle..

If I was a kid is be wondering "who is this surprise.. what does she look like .."

I also really love rainbow dash's new symbol.. feels very classic

And they already have the molds, so why not?  (Hopes rise unreasonably and unrealistically)

Offline Safflower

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Whatever shall I put here? (she/her)
    • View Profile
Pinkie's artwork has a pink eyeshine. It's a little creepy o.o

。.:☆*:・~celestial ponies are best ponies~・:*☆:.
~thanks to the wonderful Griffin for my sig!~

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
I don't think Hasbro can make G1 mold ponies while Basic Fun has the license.  Just a guess.  But if Hasbro licensed the rights to the appearances of the Mane Six to BF to make a set of G1 mold Mane Six, I would totally snap them up.  (BF would use higher quality hair than Hasbro anyway, lol.)

Yeah, I kind of feel like the artwork was "baby's first project" for some intern.  :P
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
I don't think Hasbro can make G1 mold ponies while Basic Fun has the license.  Just a guess.
That's what I think too.. that's why this is a "twist". Whatever that can do to hop on the retro train...

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
    • View Profile
I don't think Hasbro can make G1 mold ponies while Basic Fun has the license.  Just a guess.  But if Hasbro licensed the rights to the appearances of the Mane Six to BF to make a set of G1 mold Mane Six, I would totally snap them up.  (BF would use higher quality hair than Hasbro anyway, lol.)

Yeah, I kind of feel like the artwork was "baby's first project" for some intern.  :P

I think the artwork was the result of some marketing copywriter/designer moving around vectors instead of an actual graphic designer... Or maybe a baby graphic designer...   She probably had the budget to spend exactly 45 minutes on the project  :lol:

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
The one thing that jumped out at me from that page is...

"Inspired by two original ponies, "Glory" and "Sparkler," today's retro-style Rarity is more fabulous than ever!"

For me she's always been based on Glory as well as Sparkler. Nice that Hasbro think so too. Because I don't understand how anyone could see anything other than Glory for that colour base, even if the diamonds are Sparkler's symbol.

I am mixed about the artwork (creepy eye seems right for pinkie) and Hasbro's sudden desire to reach back to us. BUT honestly, I like the artwork (even with the issues) better than the ponies they produced.

I still would love actual G1 pose M6. I would buy some of those. We'll never get them though, because these aren't retro G1 inspired M6. They're something Hasbro threw together to keep milking money from the M6 line because Basic Fun ponies are doing well.

Rainbow Dash has too many lightning bolts in funny colours in her symbol to really look like an early G1 pony. I know in another thread it was compared to Lightning, but that's hugely unlikely as a basis because Hasbro US don't pay any attention to international ponies. Even if it was, though, Lightning's symbol is bicolour only and has only 2 bolts I think. Dash is over the top and too much, especially if they want to bring it to firefly.

Better to do 2 lightning bolts in maybe red and yellow and forget about the cloud in my view.

Two other things.

First - CP ponies definitely not the original M6. Never in the animation, not rereleased in every pose and possible gimmick ever. Yeah, the US had them ad nauseum through mail order, but they really don't have the same presence as some of the later sets do (particularly like the SS ponies that dominated the later animation, or even Firefly and AJ's actual sets).

Secondly - what's the point in telling the fans about the inspiration for the M6 and then put an image of 6 completely unrelated ponies on the bottom of the page? Like, this is the original M6 but we based our M6 on six completely different ponies and we're not going to show them to you.

(sigh).
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 12:06:53 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
Pinkie's artwork just has an error. They forgot to color that eyewhite in.

What the heck at "the original Mane Six"? They were just the first ever set. Sorry, but I rebuke this term when it comes to G1 :lol:

A little sad there is no love for G3 inspiration. RD and Pinkie got their looks from G3 and Rarity got her personality from G3 RD. I also laughed at "Applejack inspired by Applejack".

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Pinkie's artwork just has an error. They forgot to color that eyewhite in.

What the heck at "the original Mane Six"? They were just the first ever set. Sorry, but I rebuke this term when it comes to G1 :lol:

Totally agree.

G4 terms for G1 equals fail in general. New collectors can be forgiven. The company that invented MLP not so much.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Faerie-StarV

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Power Puff Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Imagine the Mane 6 went back in time and came back with a retro twist!
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2019, 10:22:37 AM »
Can I just say that I think they look really more beautiful in G1 than G4? :3

Offline MJNSEIFER

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scribbles Pony
  • Brony For All Ponies
    • View Profile
Re: Imagine the Mane 6 went back in time and came back with a retro twist!
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2019, 10:47:19 AM »
The one thing that jumped out at me from that page is...

"Inspired by two original ponies, "Glory" and "Sparkler," today's retro-style Rarity is more fabulous than ever!"

For me she's always been based on Glory as well as Sparkler. Nice that Hasbro think so too. Because I don't understand how anyone could see anything other than Glory for that colour base, even if the diamonds are Sparkler's symbol.
Lauren confirmed at least once that there was some inspiration from Glory in the "finalized" Rarity - she posted pictures of her G1 collection that inspired her G4 cast and she showed both Sparkler and Glory for Rarity.

Sparkler was the pony she wanted for her Mane Six, but at some point Glory made her way into Rarity's final design.  Maybe Lauren liked her as well, but initially didn't have a place for her in her project, but when it became apparent that the G4 Mane Six would be ponies with G3 names, but a different design she probably decided "Oh, I'll do a Sparkler/Glory thing then..."
I will confess to being a brony, but I assure you that the things you may not like about them do not apply to me, I mostly keep the fandom name due to nostaligia, but I do genuinely love MLP as a whole, not just FIM, and not just the popularity of FIM - I genuinely love the show (and all the others)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal