collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Clay baking re-haired ponies?!  (Read 1146 times)

Offline Blackness

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page:
Clay baking re-haired ponies?!
« on: July 30, 2019, 10:33:48 PM »
Hey hey everyone!

A question for anyone out there who customises MLP with polymer clay - hoping to get some information! I work a lot with polymer clay when customising, preferably sculpting straight onto the pony. I have been using hair from Dolly Hair and am wondering how the hair will withstand low temperatures in an oven (130c)...

I've trialled with a few strands and noticed no changes but am nervous about doing an entire re-hair, may need to tie/cover the hair when baking to prevent the hair from touching the metal oven tray etc. I've seen a few images of haired ponies being baked and the hair iis covered in something - baking paper maybe?

Anyway grasping at straws here and just super hopeful that someone has a tried and true method of baking a pony and protecting the hair from heat damage! Apologies if this has issue already been covered too...

Thanks!!

Online BlackCurtains

• Mad Scientist
  • Trade Count: (+69)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • Orange ponies are the best.
    • View Profile
    • BlackCurtains Crafts
Re: Clay baking re-haired ponies?!
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2019, 10:08:12 PM »
Nylon hair can withstand lower oven temperatures just fine. I would suggest not placing the pony directly on metal. Use a piece of cardboard to set it on. As far as covering the hair, I suppose baking paper would be okay? You could also try to tent it with aluminum foil.

I use polymer clay too but I've always rehaired after baking, not before. So the hair in the oven was never an issue for me personally.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Instagram | Facebook
Commissions are Closed
Avatar and sig by Mione (offsite)

Offline Blackness

• Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page:
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2019, 04:26:20 PM »
Thanks for your comment! I was fairly confident that the hair would survive, just hoped there may be some other customisers out there might offer some advice!

I had considered wrapping hair with aluminium foil when baking but wondered if that would increase the temperature??

Anyways I've always sculpted before doing the hair same as you, but wanting to sculpt bigger and more detailed work in future and I know it will break when I go to add the tail..

Anyways thanks again :)

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2019, 04:57:52 PM »
Wrapping the hair in foil will help.  That is how you avoid heat damage to food that is singing, after all.

But why not just use Apoxie Sculpt?  Air dries and is a lot harder after drying so it doesn't crumble and crack the way sculpty does.  Also sculpty sometimes  "sags" a bit when heated which can be a bummer.

Also, if you are worried about the Apoxie sculpt drying too fast- you can keep wetting it.  You can apply plastic wrap to keep it from hardening completely (although you can't make drastic changes after a certain point). You can smooth it with water (before it dries).  You can sand it.  It is essentially sculptable "glue" so it sticks really well to the pony.

Big fan here!

Offline Griffin

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+89)
  • aka Haawan | she/her
    • View Profile
    • Haawan Pony Customs
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2019, 12:19:12 PM »
I've always sculpted before rehairing but I agree with the tips given by others! I've also mostly switched to Apoxie Sculpt, which is much more durable like Galactica said. Additionally, it works much better for large sculpting like wings - as the ponies always get a little soft in the oven, they may collapse under heavy sculpted bits. But I still love to work with polymer clay and will use it for other things such as accessories and non-pony/original sculptures. :) 

deviantART | Haawan Pony Customs | Aithne reference
Avatar by FizzyScrumptious, signature by tailrustedtealeaf - thank you ♥

Offline aintnobuffalo

• Lord Commander of the Minty Army
  • Trade Count: (+53)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • ♪Let the voice of love take you higher♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 06:09:45 PM »
I had to do a touch up on sculpting after rehairing. I was nervous about the hair, so even though I thought it would be fine, I protected it with tinfoil. It did just fine for me.
Sig by Corona
Wish List

Offline Blackness

• Secret Surprise Pony
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page:
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 06:29:22 PM »
Wrapping the hair with aluminium foil seems the way to go - I'll be sure to give it a try!

I've heard good things about Apoxie Sculpt and will probably give it a crack one day however, already have a huge range of polymer at home and I love the different affects you get from mixing colours, adding liquid sculpey, etc.

Thanks again for the tips and I'll let you all know how this next project goes when I finish her in a few weeks! :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal