collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: G3 "Retro" ponies on Target website  (Read 14378 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: G3 "Retro" ponies on Target website
« Reply #150 on: August 03, 2019, 07:01:23 AM »
Bandit-I believe Taf is saying that the trend of catering the brand to them in the form of a quadrillion different core characters, instead of keeping it fresh and creative, as they've always done for kids has become an issue.

Because MLP is a toy brand for kids first and foremost. We know that G1, G2 and G3 have had repeat characters, but never, even at the height of the Bore Core, had it reached such an obnoxious fever pitch obsession and kids do like different things. Even from one generation to the next. Other things are contributing to this of course. I suspect the biggest issue is Hasbro's laziness and greed.

The fact that they don't pull this kinda crap with their major boy brand Transformers, is both baffling and aggravating. It has a healthier mix of generations, old characters and new characters, then MLP does now. Although the G1 and G3 repros help a little. They cater to their older and newer fanbase in a far saner way and the quality isn't completely atrocious either.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 07:07:58 AM by Leave a Whisper »
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 03, 2019, 07:32:41 AM »
Bandit-I believe Taf is saying that the trend of catering the brand to them in the form of a quadrillion different core characters, instead of keeping it fresh and creative, as they've always done for kids has become an issue.

And I didn't disagree with that. But she said "lost track of the core aim of the toy".

IMO there's a difference on what they did with the brand, and what they did with the core toyline and why m6 are shelf warmers and why we didn't get a variety like in the past.

Licensing merchandise was the money maker (AND YES! This did include bronies in their strategy). :shrug: toys were there just to make sure some kid who like FiM later on could get their fave character. That doesn't have to MAKE money if licensing merch is making money for the brand.

G4 was wildly different then the past lines because of the early success of FiM.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 03, 2019, 07:38:18 AM »

Yes, but if their parents have already bought them G4 Mane 6 toys for the last 9 years, why would they rebuy them as G5?

maybe Hasbro are counting on the "fleeting demographic" thing? Who knows how many kids have been into G4 for that long and are still interested in it. Not all kids hold an interest in the same show for its entire duration, you know?

this! I mean it's pretty obvious IMO-- they were there because of kids getting in later. I don't believe that the brand was carried by the toyline this round like perhaps in the past generations.

yes, thank you! Finally someone gets it! I've never said kids want the same toys over and over and I'm not sure why that notion keeps getting attributed to me o.O THIS is exactly what I was trying to say.

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: August 03, 2019, 08:11:19 AM »
The effort put into Friendship is Magic from the very beginning makes me wonder if Hasbro was actually aiming to make MLP a more successful media franchise beyond toys. The Brony fandom may have been unexpected, but I think they were aiming for FiM to be a success on its own.

I'll admit I'm not super knowledgeable on all of that and may be completely wrong.

|My Collection|

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 03, 2019, 08:11:42 AM »

And I didn't disagree with that. But she said "lost track of the core aim of the toy".

IMO there's a difference on what they did with the brand, and what they did with the core toyline and why m6 are shelf warmers and why we didn't get a variety like in the past.

Licensing merchandise was the money maker (AND YES! This did include bronies in their strategy). :shrug: toys were there just to make sure some kid who like FiM later on could get their fave character. That doesn't have to MAKE money if licensing merch is making money for the brand.

G4 was wildly different then the past lines because of the early success of FiM.

The core is the toyline. They have lost its identity catering to a fringe adult fad-crowd by overproducing 6 characters and more tellingly out of lazy greed. That is what some people are trying to say.

Kids don't want 50 of the same character. Hasbro has forgotten this.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 08:28:27 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: August 03, 2019, 08:32:46 AM »

The core is the toyline. They have lost its identity catering to a fringe adult fad-crowd by overproducing 6 characters and more tellingly out of lazy greed. That is what some people are trying to say.

No one is disagreeing with the fact that people don't want 50 of the same characters. (And a few handful of people do like armies, but that's not why this is happening).

Hasbro knows this. We know this. EVERYONE agrees with this.

Putting personal opinion aside, they are only there so kids who get into the show can get the characters they like.

However, the brand is more than the main toyline.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 08:36:24 AM by banditpony »

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 03, 2019, 08:55:51 AM »

No one is disagreeing with the fact that people don't want 50 of the same characters. (And a few handful of people do like armies, but that's not why this is happening).

Hasbro knows this. We know this. EVERYONE agrees with this.

Putting personal opinion aside, they are only there so kids who get into the show can get the characters they like.

We know this. :hug: But Hasbro has forgotten and the constantly being on shelves excuse does not fly and never has. Especially not to this extent. Especially since Hasbro only started practicing obsessive insanity on only one of their big moneymakers and not the other. The toyline is the core. Its the Main Course. The cartoon, comic and merchandise are the appetizers, drinks and side dishes.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 09:01:32 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: August 03, 2019, 09:34:30 AM »
Hasbro didn't forget something. The formula ended up being different this time, and relied on something that wasn't the main toyline. They made money -- which is their objective every time.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 03, 2019, 09:38:14 AM »
Hasbro didn't forget something. The formula ended up being different this time, and relied on something that wasn't the main toyline. They made money -- which is their objective every time.

They've forgotten it and their obsession with a fad group's tastes may possibly end up screwing the brand over in the longterm. If it does, then Hasbro will start losing some money.  They'll be fine I mean, since they've got other stuff that makes money, but still.

Anywho, back OT, I'd like to see more G3s then just these 4. I never liked Pinkie Pie and Fluttershy and I already have an Applejack.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 09:45:38 AM by Leave a Whisper »

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #159 on: August 03, 2019, 10:04:16 AM »
I am honestly not going to touch this discussion any more because a: everyone is basically saying the same thing and b: I am pretty sure that what I said has been wilfully or accidentally misunderstood, but I don't have the energy to untangle the mess and point out where.
 Honestly at this point it is easier to just say we are all making the same points with slightly different words...

And move on.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline KarentheUnicorn

• Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://karentheunicorn.tripod/legosnape.html
« Reply #160 on: August 03, 2019, 10:21:31 AM »

Wellll, technically, the toyline came out before the TV show, so back in the origins of MLP, the 80's, we didn't have a tv show at first to corrupt our imagination into thinking we had to have 20 of the exact same pony. Hell, even when the TV show came out it was sorta a background thing compared to the toyline (at least for me but that's the read I get from most long time collectors) - else Hasbro would have saved money and just made the exact same pony over and over back then.

I think from a company standpoint it's cheaper to produce the same pony over and over and just fab up this idea of the mane 6 characters. It's easier to market than trying to market a whole new group of ponies every year or multiple different sets.

So for the company it's not really about collecting anymore, it's about shoving out the cheapest product they can for the largest amount of money. Even back in the 80's, they were calling MLP a collectable. I've got mail order pamphlets from the 80's that were calling the first 6 ponies collector ponies even back then. So I think in a certain way Hasbro looked at MLP differently than they do now - or at the very least the way they sell them is totally different. It just feels like it's more about shoving out cheap junk than a really great line of unique toys.
Probably doesn't own a stolen piece of the Taj Mahal.

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 03, 2019, 10:31:24 AM »

Wellll, technically, the toyline came out before the TV show, so back in the origins of MLP, the 80's, we didn't have a tv show at first to corrupt our imagination into thinking we had to have 20 of the exact same pony. Hell, even when the TV show came out it was sorta a background thing compared to the toyline (at least for me but that's the read I get from most long time collectors) - else Hasbro would have saved money and just made the exact same pony over and over back then.

I think from a company standpoint it's cheaper to produce the same pony over and over and just fab up this idea of the mane 6 characters. It's easier to market than trying to market a whole new group of ponies every year or multiple different sets.

So for the company it's not really about collecting anymore, it's about shoving out the cheapest product they can for the largest amount of money. Even back in the 80's, they were calling MLP a collectable. I've got mail order pamphlets from the 80's that were calling the first 6 ponies collector ponies even back then. So I think in a certain way Hasbro looked at MLP differently than they do now - or at the very least the way they sell them is totally different. It just feels like it's more about shoving out cheap junk than a really great line of unique toys.

I guess I was just referring to only right now why the mane 6 is on the shelves. And the drop off of why there WERE other ponies in the start, but now not.

They addressed "collecting" with all the side blind bag things. (Which is on par to compete with other similar blind bag toys).

but the goal of any company, now or then, is always to make money. The strategies can't always remain the same each time.

Offline HollowZero

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • Nightmint av by Shenanigans!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 03, 2019, 11:40:56 AM »
For g4 it wasn't as profitable to market to kids with several different ponies, it's just a different time. Hasbro tried the Barbie way - Barbie with a different dress and accessories, and it worked to a point.

They also marketed the larger or more detailed items to bronies. That took them a bit of finagling but they eventually got it sort of right.

Basic Fun picked up the slack and made retro G1s. The slack being late 20s and above females.

Hello! Please visit my art gallery! Commissions are: open for now

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #163 on: August 03, 2019, 11:59:24 AM »
They're cool but...too soon, too soon!

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 17, 2019, 07:14:13 AM »
TheBeatlesPkmnFan42, thank you!!!!!!

Haha, "retro" - classic, sure, but retro? C'mon, they're not that old yet! ..r-right?

To be fair, with "retro" I just put that word into the thread title to compare them to Basic Fun's G1 ponies since they're both recreations of past gen ponies. These Target listings don't say retro anywhere. That's why I put it in quotes.

Well that would be repro. ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal