collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Paypal help!  (Read 3833 times)

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
Paypal help!
« on: July 29, 2019, 01:00:27 PM »
I won an auction on ebay from someone in Canada(I'm in the USA), and it won't let me pay the invoice.  It keeps denying it.  I've called up Paypal, and they told me the issue is on the seller's end.  The seller called up Paypal, and Paypal told them the issue is on MY end.  So, very useful.  Thanks Paypal.  You're always there for your customers.

I'm trying to pay through a bank account, there is MORE than enough money to cover the cost of the item.  This account has been active and confirmed since basically Paypal came into existence.  I used this account before AND after this issue started up with no problems(I did a test BIN just in case, and it went through fine).

Has anyone had this problem before?  Any idea how to resolve it?

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: Paypal help!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2019, 01:11:05 PM »
I don't have any thoughts at the moment...

but exactly what error is it giving you?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Nella

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2019, 10:25:06 PM »
Could it be caused by the currency? Maybe your PayPal only is set for USD and the seller only accepts Canadian currency? Just thinking out loud ;)
Link to my salesthread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,377651.0.html.

Link to my thread with available FTB's: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,394652.0.html.

No pony will be left behind! Please come check for the pony's in need of some TLC over here: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,397984.0.html.

Offline Em_L._Pea_Customs

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+163)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2019, 07:17:28 AM »
Could it be caused by the currency? Maybe your PayPal only is set for USD and the seller only accepts Canadian currency? Just thinking out loud ;)

This is exactly what I was thinking! 
*WANT LIST*
FKA cookhuman

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2019, 07:25:16 AM »

Does that happen normally though with US to Canada transactions?

I'm asking because although I have more than one currency open on my paypal, I've paid things in Yen that were only accepted in Yen before I had Yen as an option on my paypal without any issues. So I would've thought the conversion SHOULD happen automatically.

...Depending on the way the seller is set up, I suppose. If it can't receive $US then that may be a problem.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline flying_narwhal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Brush N Grow Pony
    • View Profile
    • My Etsy Store
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2019, 09:56:48 AM »

I was thinking this is a possibility as well. They may need to set up their account to accept foreign currencies.

I don't know whether or not this would work, but have you tried logging into ebay.ca to pay? (You should be able to login to any country's ebay site with your usual information).

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2019, 10:15:43 AM »

I'm asking because although I have more than one currency open on my paypal, I've paid things in Yen that were only accepted in Yen before I had Yen as an option on my paypal without any issues. So I would've thought the conversion SHOULD happen automatically.

...Depending on the way the seller is set up, I suppose. If it can't receive $US then that may be a problem.

I've never had an issue paying in foreign currency. Yesterday I was invoiced in yen and PayPal converted it. So it pulled USD from me, and my seller got yen. And not sure which one of us paid for conversion.

Not saying that isn't the issue. But OP didn't describe anything in detail enough for me to start making guesses where the issue is/was.

It could be very well the bank acct doesn't allow a conversion. And id first suggest OP try a CC and/or PayPal funds.

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 10:24:41 AM »

I've never had an issue paying in foreign currency. Yesterday I was invoiced in yen and PayPal converted it. So it pulled USD from me, and my seller got yen. And not sure which one of us paid for conversion.

Not saying that isn't the issue. But OP didn't describe anything in detail enough for me to start making guesses where the issue is/was.

It could be very well the bank acct doesn't allow a conversion. And id first suggest OP try a CC and/or PayPal funds.

I realise I'm neither American nor Canadian so it might not matter as regards US or Canadian banks but I have used the bank account option to pay in Yen, Euros and $US with no problems. I may also have paid in Canadian dollars as well at one point. Some of those through ebay. My account is obviously defaulted in £ :)

What's more, I've paid deposits for things in yen before and had yen refunded to me which has gone back to my bank account in £ without my having to do anything.

The only thing I can think of is if the recipient account is a very basic account, there may be limitations on this. Otherwise I can't see how currency can be the problem.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 10:40:51 AM »
My understanding is that PayPal technically handles the conversion.

For instance.
My invoice and my PayPal page said I owed/paid in yen (and in more details it says the conversion rate).

However my credit card shows only USD pulled.

So I kinda don't think it's specifically the bank, but when something isn't working .. it's best to try all possible options.

Offline Nella

• Trade Count: (+126)
  • Twinkle Eye Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 12:27:56 PM »
I can't check ATM but found this online:

GO to Profile > Payments > My Preapproved Payments > Set Available Funding Sources > Conversion Options

Maybe check these?
Link to my salesthread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,377651.0.html.

Link to my thread with available FTB's: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,394652.0.html.

No pony will be left behind! Please come check for the pony's in need of some TLC over here: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,397984.0.html.

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2019, 07:07:26 PM »
FWIW I've never had any sort of issues with converting currencies either, but I agree it's probably worth looking into that? It's the only thing I can think of :s

Offline RainbowWindy

• Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+315)
  • Dabbles Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2019, 06:58:45 AM »
Hi! I am the seller. I've sold other auctions to the US and had no issues with payments from them so I don't know what the issue is.
I don't understand Paypal because I had a Canadian send me some money and they automatically converted it to US dollars but payments from Americans came as Canadian dollars.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 07:17:45 AM by RainbowWindy »
EBay Sales ~~

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2019, 07:06:56 AM »
Hi! I am the seller. I've sold other auctions to the US and had no issues with payments from them so I don't know what the issue is.

I feel like it could be a whole slew of things but again it's hard with little details.

If you are willing, you could let your buyer cancel the transaction and just do it privately. It's obviously a typical eBay no-no, and you should ONLY do it if you both feel comfortable with it.

And you'd need to double check but I believe if the buyer initiates then you get your fees refunded. Double check on that tho. I know there is a way to get that to happen.

I feel like it would be the easier route then troubleshooting.

(And my advice to the buyer still is to attempt to make a payment with PayPal funds instead of bank)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 07:11:21 AM by banditpony »

Offline goddessofpeep

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Lil Sweetcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2019, 11:37:25 AM »
Thanks for all the advice!

I have tried several things, and I’ve called Paypal and ebay.  Nothing has worked.   All I can get from ebay and Paypal is that my account is “as right as it could be”.   Ebay blamed a computer glitch/system wide update. 

I’ve been using this account as long as Paypal has existed, and nothing like this has ever happened before.  I bought things sucessfully before and after this problem.  I’ve bought from Canada dozens of times too.  The currency it’s trying to pay in is the Canadian dollar.  It just tells me it can’t process the payment, and to try another payment method - like open a Paypal credit card. 

« Last Edit: July 31, 2019, 11:41:29 AM by goddessofpeep »

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2019, 11:57:30 AM »
Maaan . . . that sounds really frustrating.  Maybe you can get someone else to be a go-between, like you send the money to them as a Friends & Family and then they send it to the seller?  Normally I would never suggest something like that, but since you're both forum members and not strangers . . .

The Old School method would be to send concealed cash, but then there's the risk of it getting stolen in the mail.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal