collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Child Equipment  (Read 1055 times)

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
Child Equipment
« on: July 26, 2019, 07:35:38 PM »
I was thnking about what Honeycomb and Nessa were saying about babies and baby related stuff. We are minimalists, but I realise that doesn't work well with a child. I get really anxious about every tiny thing that comes into my house. I more or less have a 'one in, one out' policy. Except for ponies, ha!

Anyway, in 6 months time we are expecting a baby. I would appreciate any advice you might have about what stuff is really necessary. We are expecting to purchase:

Cot, will make mobile. Mum already made quilt. Mattress for cot. Other sheet, blanket.
Baby Bath
small trolley for baby changing stuff
Will change baby on top of chest of drawers in baby bedroom, changing mat.
Pushchair/car chair system, not sure what yet
Supply of onesies
Nappies although not sure about nappy system yet, willing to try and reduce dusposables, any suggestions?
Supply of muslin cloths for feeding
Plastic bottles, steriliser and sterilising tablets, thing that sucks the milk out of you... hoping to breast feed although not sure about feeding
 system yet
Massive bras with boob-doors

Later on:
Potty
High chair
Plastic eating things for after weaning
Toys

I daren't look for stuff on the internet because you just get a load of click bait/adverts and also I can't talk to my Mum and sister about it because my Mum had us in the 70s and my sister has loads more money than me!

Please let me know what you think!

:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Child Equipment
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 08:56:26 PM »
If you don't want disposable nappies, you could go with cloth ones.  The downside to those is that they can leak more easily and they require more laundry or paying a service to do it for you (assuming there is one near you).  My mom used cloth diapers with four of us but not with my youngest brother (long story short, my dad accidentally threw away her supply of cloth ones less than a month before he was born), so it is doable.

I haven't had kids yet but I have 13 nieces and nephews. 

It's a good idea to have more than one blanket for them.  Babies can spit up at any time and having to wait for a blanket to be washed doesn't work for most of them.  My sister had a bunch of extra blankets especially with her 3rd child because he had to have a special formula and it still upset his stomach. 

Spoiler
When my sister had her babies, her breasts got too big to breast feed--her babies couldn't latch on because she was so big.  With her 4th, someone gave her a plastic nipple (it looked much like the top of a bottle) that fit over her nipple and made it easier for her baby to suckle.  You might look into one of those depending on how large you get.  Before her first pregnancy she was an a-cup and she grew to a d.

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 09:10:53 PM »
Yes, you have the basics.  I would add a infant first aid kit and a baby monitor to the list.
The Bad Trader List
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 11:22:06 PM »
     I think that’s a pretty good list of stuff. However, I would like to make a small suggestion to your list. My mom bought all the things she would need to breast feed once I was born. Thing is, we figured out the first time I tried to feed that mom just didn’t produce milk. It wasn’t the size or anything, just didn’t work. So she had my grandparents go and rush purchase bottles and a tin of formula. This mightn’t be a necessity since you might be perfectly fine to breastfeed. But I’d advise maybe purchase a small thing of formula and a bottle or two, just in case. For reference, I haven’t had children yet, but this is just what I have gathered through observation and asking questions.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2019, 01:08:07 AM »
That's a great topic, and I'll be following to see what you experienced mommies have to say.

I have also bought a carrier to wear the baby. I'm not sure that's the right word.

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 02:45:35 AM »
play pen so you can keep all the toys in there so they ant in the way and you don't trip over them , for when its older baby reins to keep them from getting lost in super markets (like I once did in Woolworths XD) look for things in charity shops especially clothes  as a lot of the things they get in are only worn a few times and sometimes not at all in the one I work in we get stuff that still has the labels on including designer stuff if your in to that :)
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 02:47:30 AM by Aflame »

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2019, 02:47:00 AM »
I don't see why you can't ask your sister for advice. Just because she has money doesn't mean she wouldn't have some advice that could help you. My sister in law lives in a 4,000sqft house and bought a brand new SUV for the arrival of her kid. But she is the one that just taught me it's no big deal to just change a baby on the floor.

In addition to things mentioned above, you want a thermometer and basic medicine (like tylenol for babies, and diaper rash cream). Those are things you don't really wanna be without when the store is closed, and the baby needs them.

Something to suck snot out of his/her nose. tearless shampoo.

You may or may not need a pacifier.

A pair of socks can be used on the baby's hands to prevent scratching his/her face.

If the baby is in it's own room, you may want a chair to go in there. You might want a nightlight for yourself to see in the dark for late night feedings.

You might want nursing pads to go along with your bra. (not sure if something is built in for leakage).

You might want to consider a baby swing. It can be a soothing gadget for calming cranky babies. Sure it's a big clunky thing, but for some babies, it's good because you can put them in it and go cook dinner or something. (Rather them being reliant on you holding them all the time). I'd say if you do get one, just get a used one since they are pricey. It's of of a nice to have instead of necessity though.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 02:58:07 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2019, 03:09:56 AM »
For the cream I’ll get sudocream that’s perfect for baby bottoms

A rocking chair so that you can sit on it and nurse the baby.

Baby monitor so if you’re in another room you can hear the baby

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2019, 05:21:47 PM »
Have looked at Babylist on line? They make list of the top items as reported by parents. Helped me decide on somethings. Also there is a site that rates carseats too but can’t remember the name of it

Try your hardest not to overbuy which I get is partially the reason for this thread but it is so easy to do with baby stuff. Especially, if people are buying stuff as gifts.

Spoiler
Idk what your sleeping arrangement plan is but I would recommend skipping the bassinet and going straight to a crib. If baby will be in your room at all it’s nice to sidecar the crib up to your bed with the front off. That way baby won’t learn to only like the cuddled feeling to sleep like ours does and baby is easily accessible for feedings.

Another thing in addition that I wish I had thought of is that there was really not so much rush to finish the nursery and put all her stuff in there because my daughter will be in our room until age 1 and all her clothes, changing stuff, bath stuff, etc has migrated into our bedroom anyway. We have barely even used the pack n play since she out grew the bassinet part. So, I would wait on one of those until you absolutely need it. Many think it’s a necessity but not always true.

Grow with baby gear and multi use items are best. Convertible carseat may be your best bet there because you can get 4 in 1s that can accommodate a baby from 8 to 65 lbs. only drawback to not having an infant carseat is the ability to take baby out of the car without removing him or her from it. It was nice to do that when our daughter was still too little to control her head and body but now that she rolls and holds her head we just take her in and out of the seat a lot more. If you do get an infant carseat it is handy to have a compatible stroller that the seat just clicks into. Also, if you have more than one vehicle, a base in each is so much easier than trying to figure out the seatbelt or moving the base around.

Clothes: remember the size baby will be in for each season and understand the sizing. All brands seem to fit a bit differently so I tend to stick mainly to Carters whether it’s the main line or sublines like the ones from Target/Walmart. This is for a few reasons: so. Darn. Cute. Also, they wash up well from food to blow outs and hold up. I have a pretty good understanding what will fit in what season. I find many other brands run small. Also, the sizing systems are sometimes confusing: 6-9 and 9m are basically the same thing. There may a little discrepancy between brands as mentioned but those are pretty much the same weight/heights. With this, when the size is only listed as a single number (9m) rather than a range (6-9), the single number is UP TO the listed number, not starting at. Believe me, people kept telling me different things and now I have a tone of Halloween clothes (favorite holiday) in 6-9m that will be too small by the time Halloween comes around. Super annoying. If you get clothes you don’t like or look hard to get baby in and out of, or honestly who wants to put a newborn in a different dress every day (mine lived in sleep n play outfits), just return them! Don’t worry about hurting feelings or if you have too many of one size, exchange for a different size. We have a ton of clothes that were “one time only” outfits because they were hard to get on/off, I didn’t really like them, or baby outgrew them before had a chance to wear them. Also, babies that haven’t learned to walk yet don’t need shoes!

Don’t go overboard with cute bedding, even crib sheets lol. Buying some washable pads for in the crib or on the changing pad is super handy for leaks, blowouts, or those changing mishaps. A handful of plain washcloths that can be used for diaper changes is handy in case baby is too sensitive to wipes or gets a bad rash because wipes usually exacerbate that. Honestly, if you’re comfortable taking baby in the tub with you for bathing or can use a sink, do that and skip the baby tub. They outgrow it quickly and can be back breaking unless you use it on a counter or table.

Diapers: having a stockpile of multiple sizes can be handy if you have the money/space. However, sometimes you have to test out a few brands before finding what works best for you and baby. Some fit some babies better, some babies can be sensitive, etc.

First aid/toiletries: Tylenol, 2 thermometers (rectal and for under arm), vitamin d drops (breastfed), humidifier, vaseline (use for taking rectal temps), bulb suction, saline, finger nail clipper, diaper rash cream, etc. and multiples of stuff you use up in multiple locations-bathroom, changing area, diaper bag, etc so you aren’t chasing stuff down around the house. Also, you will misplace something and will want a back up. Most of things you will want on hand before you actually need it because emergency trips to the store suck. This includes wipes and diapers.

Dreft stain spray-works well
Mobile Diaper caddy and portable changing pad-won’t always be changing diapers at your station
Diaper cream spatula-may seem ridiculous but I love mine
Disposable diaper pads are handy in the diaper bag
Haakaa(?) pump-attaches to your opposite breast during feeding to catch the milk that leaks out
Hands free pumping bra for pumping breast milk
Electric double breast pump-Medela seems most popular but there are a few different ones. Medela does make these neat microwaveable sterilizing bags for pump parts, bottles, etc that are handy and spray to clean with if you cannot wash parts right away.
Backpack or large diaper bag with extras/essentials-clothes, Tylenol, etc anything you think you may need. This will likely become your purse because juggling purse, baby, diaper bag gets old quickly. I no longer use a purse. I started with a “diaper bag” but it was just too small so I used my old college backpack because it held way more.

Many items can wait until baby is old enough to use too-high chair, some slings/carriers, toys, activity centers, etc. A swing has been essential for our daughter especially when cranky or I just need a minute.  Muslin blankets work for many things including burp rags. Also, there never is a burp rag near when you really need it.

Bottles/pacifiers: if you need them (breast doesn’t work out, daycare) you may need to try a few before finding one baby likes. Don’t buy a bunch or a system until you know. I have a TON we have never used. Those with an anti-colic “systems” seem best-Dr. Brown’s Tommee Tippee anti-colic (not regular). Also, those more breast like may work better. Same goes for pacifiers. You may not even need them. Our daughter hates them and has used one maybe 3 times and she’s 8 months old. And I have so many :facepalm:

I am sure I will think of more later. So much you learn after having a baby.

Spoiler
I do want to say with breastfeeding that it may not work for everyone but it does take a lot of patience and it can be hard at first. You also have to be kind to yourself. I was a postpartum nurse for 2 years and now work in an OBGYN clinic. Some struggle, some excel. Whichever you are able to do, fed is best. Both you and baby will be learning. Babies come with the suck reflex but don’t intuitively know proper latch and so on. Utilize a lactation counselor if available. If at first you feel like you’re not making much remember colostrum is first and baby”s tummy is small at first. Also, it actually takes about 3-5 days for milk to come in. Many women forget this stuff and become extremely frustrated which just makes it worse.

@pokeyonekenobie: that is called a nipple shield. It’s usually meant for premies/small babies to help nurse and usually meant to be temporary until baby grows and gets the hang of it. Oftentimes it is also used for women whose nipples are inverted or flat which makes it difficult for baby to latch.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 08:34:55 PM by nessa16 »

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2019, 05:36:37 AM »
A note on clothes. Kids grow differently. Some of the worst advice was clothes advice for me.

Just like adult clothes, different companies tend to make clothes different sizes.

Clothes sizes that appear to be based on months are arbitrary numbers imo. My kid was in 3-6 months way past 6 months. Some chunky babies outgrow that size quickly.

If a clothes company has the cm size listed instead, it's an easier judgement for me. Like H&M. I bought 12m MLP romper for my child's first birthday. I don't think that fit until she was like 18m or later. T_T; H&M specifically runs super large for my kid. And anything I get now I literally go off of the CM size.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Artemesia's Garden

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Flicker Flame... Thanks to Brightberry!
    • View Profile
    • Things I make and Do
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2019, 11:21:48 AM »
Aah this is so brilliant! Thank you so much I'm really glad I asked you all as always :)

I'm having my first scan on Thursday so fingers crossed!
:heart: ISO G1 Daffodil, upgrade for June Rose; G1 Waterfall blue towel, G1 Waterfall bubbles bottle with white writing; Perfume Puff Palace green hat, pink bracelet and mesh scarves, glitter combs for SHS, lace scarves for SHS, G3 Flower Wishes and Candy Cane, Baby Northern Lights...Accessories from FiM Collection Canterlot Castle: Tirek's staff, Phoenix and stand, open book :heart: Pony Page :heart: Wish List :heart:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal