collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

What G4 ponies do you favor as a collectible?

Original brushables (old moulds) - includes all sizes and lines
New Look brushables (new moulds/poses) - same as above
Blind Bag figures
Cutie Mark Crew figures
GoH, Funko, We Love Fine and other liscensed figurines
Plush (only Hasbro liscensed such as Aurora, BaB, etc) - no customs
Equestria Girls dolls
Equestria Girls minis
IDW comic issues
It was all trash! ;)

Author Topic: G4 styles  (Read 2727 times)

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
Re: G4 styles
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2019, 09:52:52 PM »
Misty, Melody and Tiffany are human names too. You can also say Ruby is a human name as well.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Online Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2019, 03:08:17 AM »

They did this a lot in MLP Tales and it was even worse. Mrs. Hackney, Logan Berrytown. I'll give them Teddy, but it was skirting the line of normal human name. All teddies are named after Theodore Roosevelt :P

Though none of those ponies actually existed in the toy line, you're missing Katie, Billie and Susie, which DID :P

I remember as a kid going...huh?

Amber and Pearl are also human names. Amber is actually my middle name ;) and I have a friend called Amber, too. Thinking about it, I had a student last year called Sapphire as well.

I think you can probably use Amethyst as a name as well. And Blossom.

And if you subscribe to Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, Truly and Scrumptious are also names >.> I am so sure Hasbro were watching that when designing SS ponies. Seriously.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 03:09:57 AM by Taffeta »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2019, 06:38:41 AM »
I don't mind the occasional pony with a human or human-y name, I guess (IMO some fit better than others.. Tiffany, Amber etc fit in okay, but I've always thought the Best Friends ponies names were kinda weird) but I haaaate the idea of giving ponies surnames! It's not even consistent - like, what's Rarity and Sweetie Belle's surname? "Belle"? IMO if they have to do the surname thing, either do it consistently or not at all. Gah.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2019, 06:54:05 AM »
I don't mind the occasional pony with a human or human-y name, I guess (IMO some fit better than others.. Tiffany, Amber etc fit in okay, but I've always thought the Best Friends ponies names were kinda weird) but I haaaate the idea of giving ponies surnames! It's not even consistent - like, what's Rarity and Sweetie Belle's surname? "Belle"? IMO if they have to do the surname thing, either do it consistently or not at all. Gah.

Well, a bunch of those names are also actually other things or have other meanings. (Tiffany is an unforgivable choice for a pony for me, though...apologies to anyone called Tiffany who might be here on the forum but whenever I think of it I imagine a cheerleader. I went to school with an annoying Tiffany, though, so may be biased xD)
So it's not so much the ponies being named human names, but humans having names that have other connitations. Like being named after a month or a country, which happens quite a lot.

Billie, Katie, Susie - there's not really much excuse for that except someone ran out of names. Which is possible as it's the same year as Kiss N Tell and Kiss n Make Up happened.

Agree on the surnames. Was always confused with the family ponies and their names because of this.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2019, 07:04:41 AM »
Well yeah, that's what I meant. Amber works since it's a gemstone name. Not sure where Tiffany or Serena came from, but I think they still work just fine... I think the BF babies throw me off because they're so... I dunno what the word would be, normal? Every day? Like, Serena's a real name but you don't see it around that much (at least I don't?), whereas Katie is all over the place, I know a lot of Katies. I think that's why that set's names feel so weird to me.

(not that I dislike them, I love that set and I like the names they pick.. I just think they're weird. :P)

I don't mind stuff like the family ponies all having names like "[Mummy/Daddy/Baby Brother/Sister] name" since that doesn't really feel like a surname to me, it just feels like how the baby ponies are all Baby [name], you know? But stuff like "Pinkamena Diane Pie".. ugh. Themed names don't bother me much, it's just when they treat it as A Thing that it throws me. like, Pinkie's sister being Maud Pie, sure, that's cute. "Pie" being treated as a surname? argh!! No!

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2019, 07:14:24 AM »
Well yeah, that's what I meant. Amber works since it's a gemstone name. Not sure where Tiffany or Serena came from, but I think they still work just fine... I think the BF babies throw me off because they're so... I dunno what the word would be, normal? Every day? Like, Serena's a real name but you don't see it around that much (at least I don't?), whereas Katie is all over the place, I know a lot of Katies. I think that's why that set's names feel so weird to me.

(not that I dislike them, I love that set and I like the names they pick.. I just think they're weird. :P)

I don't mind stuff like the family ponies all having names like "[Mummy/Daddy/Baby Brother/Sister] name" since that doesn't really feel like a surname to me, it just feels like how the baby ponies are all Baby [name], you know? But stuff like "Pinkamena Diane Pie".. ugh. Themed names don't bother me much, it's just when they treat it as A Thing that it throws me. like, Pinkie's sister being Maud Pie, sure, that's cute. "Pie" being treated as a surname? argh!! No!

THinking back I had a Serena, two Katies and a Tiffany in my school year. Yay for the eighties ;) But I also don't consider Tiffany or Serena pony names as they weren't here *shrug* so. Amber seems quite common still but Ruby and Pearl etc you don't hear often and last year that student was the first time I met a Sapphire.

On topic.

I think what got me with the families was that the tales eps gave specific names to the babies and added characters to the families that weren't there and made it seem like a surname. Like Logan, or Corny, or I think Posey? Or something also happened in there as well? It made it a bit more confusing with them.

...I think the whole naming idea in G4 is badly explained and mostly based on ridiculous. Some of it is attempting humour but I guess it missed me by. Also, you have to think of the pony growing up with some of these stupid names. Not least because they then end up saddled with a symbol that has additional meaning for their identity.

Pinkie Pie as a name should also have been stifled in G3. It's already unforgivable in G4 even before you get to Pinkamena and such.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2019, 10:27:25 AM »
Just for the record, I think all human-y names are dumb. I don't mind names like Ruby or Pearl because those are gemstones and people are named after the gemstones and not vice versa.
Also in Germany nobody would call their daughters "Rubin" and "Perle" so I am good :cool:

I simply binged through Tales and almost fell over laughing when a pony said "my name is Logan" XD They really couldn't think of anything else. And anothet one is called "Cheval" which is just French for horse. I should start a Tales thread so this one can stay on topic.

Offline poniesthatsparkle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
  • TAF Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2019, 11:17:32 AM »
The new brushables (Non Mane 6), Cutie Mark Crew, and licensed figures. I have been buying the comics lately, too.

Online Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2019, 12:53:17 PM »
Tales thread!  Do it!

Btw I love that Amethyst is Opal and Amber (?) Topaz in German. It gives some variety to the jewel box.

Aand back to g4 now.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2019, 02:02:28 PM »
Just for the record, I think all human-y names are dumb. I don't mind names like Ruby or Pearl because those are gemstones and people are named after the gemstones and not vice versa.

I feel the same.

Also, what I mean by "a humany name" is "a name that is not an object, kind of weather, emotion, but is JUST used as a name." 

Like if I say the word "ocean", most people's first thought will be "a big salty expanse of water", not "a human named Ocean."  Whereas if I say "Jane", most people's first thought will be "a human named Jane."   So to me Ocean would be a fine pony name, Jane wouldn't.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2019, 04:44:10 PM »
I'm the exact opposite - it drives me crazy that they don't all have surnames. It seems to be an Earth pony thing? The Apple family, the Pie family, the Rich family, etc. I wish they delved more into the lore/worldbuilding of Horse Society, there's so much potential.

I also hate the locations that are just horse puns on real place names. They feel so lazy, like they couldn't be bothered to think up an actual city/town name. That being said I was thinking about potential names for a country of goats and sheep and I thought up "Salt Lick City" and now I can't get it out of my mind.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2019, 07:33:52 PM by otocolobus_manul »
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline BubbleTea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Must Collect Horses
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2019, 08:50:19 PM »
I'm the exact opposite - it drives me crazy that they don't all have surnames. It seems to be an Earth pony thing? The Apple family, the Pie family, the Rich family, etc. I wish they delved more into the lore/worldbuilding of Horse Society, there's so much potential.

I also hate the locations that are just horse puns on real place names. They feel so lazy, like they couldn't be bothered to think up an actual city/town name. That being said I was thinking about potential names for a country of goats and sheep and I thought up "Salt Lick City" and now I can't get it out of my mind.

Lol. Tbh Salt Lick City could work for horses as well.
Sigs by SquarePeg and starrynights
:nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal