collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

What G4 ponies do you favor as a collectible?

Original brushables (old moulds) - includes all sizes and lines
New Look brushables (new moulds/poses) - same as above
Blind Bag figures
Cutie Mark Crew figures
GoH, Funko, We Love Fine and other liscensed figurines
Plush (only Hasbro liscensed such as Aurora, BaB, etc) - no customs
Equestria Girls dolls
Equestria Girls minis
IDW comic issues
It was all trash! ;)

Author Topic: G4 styles  (Read 2792 times)

Offline Goanna

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scribbles Pony
    • View Profile
Re: G4 styles
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2019, 01:37:31 AM »
I have only ever been collecting brushables, and I prefer the old moulds, but I don't hate the new ones :) They can be quite cute and expressive!
I bought one blind bag once but I didn't like it, so yeah. Just brushables for me!

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+202)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2019, 01:45:23 AM »
Good old brushables ;) Not opposed to the new style brushables (but a bit underwhelmed since it's mostly characters that already have brushables)

Offline Shaz

• Bay Breeze Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2019, 01:59:14 AM »
I think the blindbags are my favourite G4 thing. Teeny-tiny ponies! I got fed up when they started just making the translucent ones.

I also liked the original brushables and the original Equestria Girls.

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2019, 09:05:12 AM »
Water Cuties, they're what finally made me start adding this gen to my collection. The gimmick is unique and they had a few other characters.

I am afraid water Cuties will age badly. I have already seen some that had yellowed plastic or dried out. Same as some of the non-M6 brushables thag had severe head/body mismatch or yellowing Celestia :huh:

Guardians of Harmony were made by Hasbro, weren't they? I don't think they were licensed.

I did not mean to imply that. Just tossing them with the higher end collector figurines. I think GoH "collectors series" figurines were recommended for ages 14+

Offline otocolobus_manul

• Trade Count: (+68)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Hope shines eternal
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2019, 09:28:24 AM »
Guardians of Harmony were made by Hasbro, weren't they? I don't think they were licensed.

I did not mean to imply that. Just tossing them with the higher end collector figurines. I think GoH "collectors series" figurines were recommended for ages 14+

Ah, that makes sense. I was just like "did I miss something?" lol
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
looking for this Calico Critters/Sylvanian Families coat rack!
New sales/trade thread: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,378291.0.html
Wishlist: http://mlparena.com/index.php/topic,360893.msg1319821.html#msg1319821

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2019, 10:37:13 AM »
Trust me, I know. I have a Diamond Mint that I foolishly put in the window, and her head started turning clear. I found that suncatcher/stained glass paint helped her out, although her head no longer turned once it dried. I keep my girls outta the sun now. Kicking myself for not grabbing Flower Wishes, because she reminds me of Shady, and I woulda loved Princess Luna too.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2019, 10:44:00 AM »
Trust me, I know. I have a Diamond Mint that I foolishly put in the window, and her head started turning clear. I found that suncatcher/stained glass paint helped her out, although her head no longer turned once it dried. I keep my girls outta the sun now. Kicking myself for not grabbing Flower Wishes, because she reminds me of Shady, and I woulda loved Princess Luna too.

Flower Wishes so reminds me of Shady, too!

Flower Wishes and AJ were everywhere here for about two years so I am imagining there are millions of them on the second hand market waiting to flood charity shops o.o.

I have Diamond Mint somewhere in her box, and I have a loose one. She's also been on display and her head is a little paler than her body but she was a carboot find and I wanted to display her so I kind of resigned myself. It's pretty either way, she's nice and the gradient look sort of suits her ;)

I also think they will age badly which is sad because this one one of the few sets in which I think Twilight Sparkle looks amazing o.O. It's one of the few sets I've almost completed from G4 because I think it's a really nicely done set. The wing idea is weird but somehow works too? I dunno. I wasn't going to go after these but I found a couple at the airport in Tel Aviv so they ended up coming home with me too...:/

Mind you, I think G4 in general will age badly, so maybe that's why I'm resigned already :) I mean we already have mismatch and I am assuming that hair rot is probably in our future considering the horrible hair some of them have. Even compared to G3, where there is hair rot but only in certain specific cases and colours thus far...I am predicting a mass balding of G4 ponies at some point in the not so distant future.

<---always cheerful :D

I do hope not though. I am quite fond of several of the non m6 character brushables. And even a couple of the more interesting M6 ones, like rainbow rocks Pinkie Pie and Rarity.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2019, 11:06:30 AM »
Mind you, I think G4 in general will age badly, so maybe that's why I'm resigned already :) I mean we already have mismatch and I am assuming that hair rot is probably in our future considering the horrible hair some of them have. Even compared to G3, where there is hair rot but only in certain specific cases and colours thus far...I am predicting a mass balding of G4 ponies at some point in the not so distant future.

This, sadly. :( My wave 1 EQGs are already discoloring, along with some other G4 merch... None of them have had any sun exposure, and most have just been hanging out in storage. Very sad.

In any case, I’ve pretty much resigned myself as well. Things don’t stay perfect forever, as we’ve learned from regrind, age spots, plasticizer leakage, and hair rot. That’s life. It’s taken me a long time to stop being obsessive and just relax about it. Now I love my collection, flaws and all. :)
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2019, 01:43:31 PM »
I'm afraid the Water Cuties will age badly, too, it's one of the things that kept me from collecting them (that and I'm not a fan of translucent gimmicks. Or water gimmicks, actually XP).

I mean heck some of the pegasi are just earth pony molds with folded wings painted on the sides.... -_-

oof, now THOSE blind bags, those really irritated me. I can deal with a lot of stuff but painted on wings? Seriously?!?!

The names got pretty stupid near the end, too. I mean, "Dane Tee Dove"....??

Offline Ragamuffin

• Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2019, 02:08:40 PM »
The names got pretty stupid near the end, too. I mean, "Dane Tee Dove"....??

I don't know if it's just me but I've always... not liked the puns in G4. "Everypony" is whatever, city names are whatever, but I draw the line at pony names. :lol: I hate names like "Mare E Lynn" Mare E Belle, Mane Moon, which is what the blindbags were full of in the end, and in the show as well with ponies like the Hooffields, McColts, they recently introduced a pony named Lighthoof, etc. Rodger Silvermane? I get this is a reference but I just hate how it's with other pony names like... Rainbow Cupcake Cutie Sprinkles or whatever. For G5 I want no human names for ponies, names can't contain mane/hoof/mare or anything else horse-related, and I don't want towns/cities to be named after real-world locations...

Imagine if Care Bears did the same thing? Instead of names like "*Adjective* Heart Bear" what if they just started calling them George or Ursina or something...? And they lived in New Bear City instead of Care-a-Lot.

Can't wait for Horsehoof Equinepun to be the real final villain of FiM! :lookround:

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2019, 02:41:14 PM »
I don't mind puns to a certain extent (I haaaate "everypony", though!! It doesn't even make sense! What's wrong with everyone/everybody? It's not like we say "everyhuman" -eyeroll-) but yeah, they got.... weird with them near the end of the blind bags. Can't comment on the show, but geez.

Dane Tee Dove is weird since I don't get why they couldn't have just used "Dainty Dove". Like, Mare E Lynn/Belle are stupid but at least I can see the pun there.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2019, 05:03:55 PM »
George Hart. :P Sorry Ragamuffin, I couldn't resist.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline BubbleTea

• Dazzle Surprise
    • View Profile
    • Must Collect Horses
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2019, 05:29:02 PM »
Water Cuties, they're what finally made me start adding this gen to my collection. The gimmick is unique and they had a few other characters.

I am afraid water Cuties will age badly. I have already seen some that had yellowed plastic or dried out. Same as some of the non-M6 brushables thag had severe head/body mismatch or yellowing Celestia :huh:

My Diamond Mint's confetti has started to disintegrate  :cry:
Sigs by SquarePeg and starrynights
:nerdy: :nerdy: :nerdy:

Offline Dragonflitter

• Trade Count: (+101)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2019, 06:35:17 PM »

Can't wait for Horsehoof Equinepun to be the real final villain of FiM! :lookround:

-giggle!- I wouldn't be surprised!

You all make me paranoid with all this deterioration talk. >_> All my ponies have been in storage for a while, as I don't have a lot of display space in my current home. I'm afraid I'm going to pull out the boxes someday and open them and it'll just be a pile of plastic bits left.  :shocked:
Thank you Thimble for my amazingly cute avatar!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2019, 07:58:54 AM »

My Diamond Mint's confetti has started to disintegrate  :cry:

I think it's horrible that something that cost 10-15€ retail in my country and is basically a snow globe with nylon hair attached, is deteriorating within just a few years without being exposed to the elements.
And then you see actual snow globes at fleamarkets that are 30+ years old and just a little yellowed but functional.
Typical Hasbroken.

Post Merge: July 29, 2019, 04:57:27 AM

They did this a lot in MLP Tales and it was even worse. Mrs. Hackney, Logan Berrytown. I'll give them Teddy, but it was skirting the line of normal human name. All teddies are named after Theodore Roosevelt :P

But I agree they should stop giving ponies family names. Pinkamena "Diane" Pie. Or the character Spoiled Milk even had a name change from Milk to Rich when she married Filthy Rich. What's the purpose of that? It's not even funny. So their actual names are Filthy and Spoiled and their daughter is thusly fully named "Diamond Dazzle Tiara Rich"? XD It just sounds dumb.

The silly blind bag names have the purpose of trademarks. I guess they coildn't trademark "Diamond Tiara" so they put a "Dazzle" in there. But on the show there is no reason for it. That's why it always bugged me in Tales. There was no reason to give ponies human names, they just did it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 04:58:25 AM by Zapper »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal