collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Space issue, money issue, do I want to sell?  (Read 1525 times)

Offline Honeycomb

• Looking for BB brushes and bandannas!
  • Arena Supporter
  • Trade Count: (+137)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Wanted: MIB FT Baby Tic Tac Toe
    • View Profile
Space issue, money issue, do I want to sell?
« on: July 25, 2019, 08:21:50 AM »
I've recently returned home from a long stay abroad due to expecting a baby in November. For the moment, I am back at my parents', in my old room, which also houses my MLP collection (around 600). Obviously I am looking for a small apartment for myself and baby, but haven't been successful yet. My problem is that I have no idea what I want to do with my ponies. For now, G1 are in display cases, G3 in cardboard boxes or MIB hung on walls, G4 are also stored away. I feel crowded and in lack of space. I wonder if I am ever truly going to appreciate them again, or if I should just start selling. They take up so much space. I also have lots of MOC G1 and buildings, and I can't display them properly. Our basement is moldy, and the attic is too hot, so beside having them in this room, I have no storage option. Even if I move, I cannot take all of them with me, the space will definitely not be enough. And in a few years, my plan is to leave the country again anyway. Of course I want some to play with my child, but do I really need all 600?
I can't decide what to do.
Which ponies do sell well at the moment? Has anyone gone through this and has some advice? Regrets?

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
Re: Space issue, money issue, do I want to sell?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2019, 08:36:04 AM »
It's a difficult question.  Possessions can lift your spirits, but sometimes they can also drag you down.  I've downsized my collection over the years (sold all my MOCs, all ponies with fading pink hair, and the ponies I was "meh" about), but it wasn't something I felt unsure of;  it was just time.  Reflect on your feelings towards your collection in general, and individual ponies in particular.  It's okay to love them forever, but it's also okay to fall out of love and let some go.  I've let a lot go and I don't regret it.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2019, 08:47:56 AM »
I've downsized multiple times any and now all collections fit onto one small bookshelf. The act of letting go is harder for me then not having things.

Honestly it really doesn't sound like having that many ponies fits into your lifestyle.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 09:10:00 AM by banditpony »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline tailrustedtealeaf

• Sparkly Seahorse Pony
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+66)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • Why it ourple
    • View Profile
    • Tungler
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2019, 08:53:23 AM »
The pony fair is in two days so you do have time until peak buying season. You'll have best luck of course in a month or two. I feel like commons aren't selling excellently right now, but you could always offer some of those in a lot because they're easy enough to get back.

Sig by Starscout <3

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2019, 09:04:51 AM »
I'd say downsize.  Go through your stuff and see what you still feel strongly about- keep those things and sell the rest.

You'll be busy enough with a baby and that kid and its "stuff" are going to take up even more space than you probably realize...

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2019, 09:21:50 AM »
I totally get this.  I recently decided that my G3s needed to find a new home.  I had over 400 of them and needed the space in my closet so I went through and picked out a couple of favorites and I'm working on rehoming the rest.  I thought it would be hard at first but after sending off the first batch of them to their new home, I'm finding that letting go of the rest of them is something that I am looking forward to.

Offline NovelNerd

• Zombie Pony
  • Trade Count: (+148)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • A dream within a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2019, 09:29:09 AM »
You have to do what fits your life and a bit collecrion might not be that anymore for you. I used to have so many, but so much of my home is dedicated to space for my animals that it’s not practical anymore. I still have ponies, but instead they have one shelf vs. an entire room dedicated to them.
Pronouns: They/Them/Their

Formerly Maddie

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 11:20:33 AM »
What about downsizing and just keeping a special collection of 100 or so? Our lives change and we have to prioritise different things. I had to do this a few years ago and I love my collection of 120 just as much as I did when I had 300. From what you’ve said I feel like downsizing will make you feel better.

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2019, 11:29:57 AM »
Not that I ever had 600 ponies, but downsizing was the best thing for me, I always recommend it to others. It makes you appreciate the ones you keep so much more!

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2019, 05:51:17 PM »
Definitely set aside what you want to share with your child but you can usually buy your favorites back.
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline SkyCakes

• Trade Count: (+108)
    • View Profile
    • My Customs
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2019, 05:54:33 PM »
I downsized recently too I was very torn on what to keep but I kept what I really wanted of my newer collections. I don't think I have the heart to part with my G1s. I bought two new shelves and filled them up completely. I even need a few smaller ones more.

Offline Taxel

• Cutie Pops Crusader
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Sundance <3
    • View Profile
    • Collections
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2019, 11:57:38 PM »
I moved in February and decided to cut down my collections a bit too. I got rid of more dolls than ponies, but I let go of many G3s because I realized I didn't even like them that much. Some of them I tried to sell but for the most part I just donated them.

A month later I left my abusive husband and I had to be very selective about what I took with me because there just wasn't enough space. I took most of my ponies and dolls, but a lot got left behind. It really forced me to decide what was most important to me, what I needed, what I could replace, and what I just didn't want at all anymore. I had a few regrets but I was able to get everything back.

Offline nessa16

• Trade Count: (+122)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Sugarberry is SWEETEST Pony!
    • View Profile
    • Nessa's Toy Chest
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2019, 07:18:24 PM »
I have not downsized yet but I have started feeling overwhelmed by the clutter around me, not just in my collections but the rest of my house. I want to go through and purge but haven’t had the energy (I have an 8 month old and full time job that keeps me busy). I have a feeling though that I will be refocusing my collections now that we are going to be setting up my pony room (so exciting!). There will be limited space and I want to enjoy it, not feel exhausted by it.

Maybe try focusing on your least favorite gen and narrow it down to your favorites and those you want for your child. Then do the same with your next less favorite gen and so on. I have a feeling my G3 and G4s will be the most affected just cause there seems like more excess bought in the “gotta have ‘em all” mindset and just because. You also do not realize how much stuff babies require until you have one either. So. Much. Stuff. Lots of stuff you end up not using too. Watch out for that trap.

Main Wishlist*Card List*Doll Sales
"It's not about how hard you hit, but how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!"-Sylvestor Stallone as Rocky Balboa in Rocky Balboa, "Live long and prosper."

Offline Water Lily

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Hi Everypony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2019, 07:19:45 PM »
I honestly can relate a lot. I've moved across thr country and even more so since I've moved to CA and after getting out of an abusive relationship, I'm stuck living out of a small bedroom in my friend's mom's house and about 75% or more of my collection is stored away. California is so expensive that I don't see my own house in my near future and I just have so mych that I've just decided to down size and keep my favorite stuff. Hope it all works out for you. Start by selling a few of your least favorite things and go from there?
You can never go wrong with being kind. :good:

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2019, 09:18:31 AM »
Loose ponies will travel better than those that are MOC and generally display better in a smaller space.
MOC will sell, guaranteed. Play sets take up a lot of room...  If you really do think you'll be heading out of the country I agree with what everyone else has said, keep those that you hold special and move out the rest (also considering keeping the ultra rare stuff even if it's MOC!!).

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal