collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Should Gulls be Culled?

Yes
5 (17.9%)
No
23 (82.1%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Author Topic: Should Gulls be Culled?  (Read 2120 times)

Offline Lollipop

• Trade Count: (+47)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
  • *Lollipop's for everypony*
    • View Profile
    • Wickstead's - Something Quintessentially Unique & Just That Little Bit Different
Re: Should Gulls be Culled?
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2019, 04:50:28 AM »
If anyone has seen Alfred Hitchcocks 'The Birds'...... Seagulls are pretty much basically doing what those ones do... atm just to steal food & attack small animals & children but would not surprise me if they start going after full grown adults...

Post Merge: July 23, 2019, 04:58:34 AM

I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE Seagulls..... they are nasty ********  :P Had one bite my finger & sandwich once literally sandwich was in my mouth i wasn't waving it around in my hand or left it on the table.

Can not stand them they are vicious nasty scavenger creatures. Something needs to be done about them tbh there are too many (watch Hitchcocks 'Birds' that will freak you out enough to want them sorted  :lol: ) Don't know about Culling but something HAS to be done about them.... there are way too many. Even if you put things in the bins with lids down etc they will still try get it.

Pigeons are everywhere too but they are not nasty********** are they!! They might beg at your feet but they will not harm you and bite ur fingers off to get what you have. They will not hurt children or take small dogs.

Sorry but I really really really HATEEEEEEEEEEEE Seagulls (I live like 30mins from the sea too, love Brighton but the seagulls bloody ruin it every time!.... and now the buggers are coming in land to the school play grounds and keeping me up until 3am with their squawking)

Yes society needs to do their bit and not leave there rubbish on the ground (which tbh it's better now than it was years ago).... .... but trust me that WILL NOT stop Seagulls .... as I said they will go for it straight out of your hand, wouldn't surprise me if they start attacking a full size human in groups eventually. They are lazy buggers who cba to fish anymore (trust me there are plenty of fish for them in the sea in Brighton)

Something NEEDS to be done about them. Maybe there is another way than culling though...

If we cannot cull, then perhaps do what I've seen happen with pigeons in I THINK London? It was a 'pigeon hotel' set up for breeding pigeons. A person would go inside and remove eggs from the nests, replace them with dummy eggs, which the parents would still care for and leave when they wouldn't have as they are assumed as either dead or infertile. This is used for problem layers for domestic parrots as well; cockatiels in particular are problem layers and simply taking the eggs encourages the bird to lay another to replace the lost egg and could result in the death of the female if she uses up the calcium in her bones to make eggs or even become eggbound.

I'm glad you understand, I've lived in seaside towns most of my life and in the city they are a vicious nuicense. When I went abroad to a city that was nowhere near the sea, it was so relaxing and peaceful to have absolutely no seagulls! (just pigeons that were skittish and starlings/sparrows!)

EDIT:

Think with this Thread if you do not live in the UK you just are not going to understand the problem  :lol:

Trust me it is a SERIOUS problem here in the UK. (not just the Seaside either... as I said in my post they have come in land too).

They often attack Children.... seen way too many attack a poor kid in Brighton who is just trying to enjoy their ice cream.

They are vicious creatures who don't give a crap..... Only birds who do this in the UK too.... Pigeons (who we probably have more of then seagulls) do not!

THIS!!!! :iconclap:

Yeah maybe they could try that sounds better than culling.... hopefully soon (I don't think I even want to step foot in Brighton in August will be a nightmare with all the Seagulls)
Either way something has to be done.... unfortunately the only way they will do something quickly is if a Kid is badly attacked or killed by them (which surprised it hasn't happened yet tbh)

Yeah it's nice when you go away from the Seaside and there are not as many Seagulls (there will still be the odd pair though). Pigeons are usually everywhere (just hate when pigeons fly off in a huge group near you or too near my face haha otherwise they don't bother me), Kids like pigeons too as they are not scary and won't attack them.

Only 2 animals/creatures I really hate .... Seagulls & Wasps (well and Hornets), and they both are nasty buggers lol... Mosquito's too i guess but not such a problem in the UK

« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 04:58:34 AM by Lollipop »
Lollipop
Wickstead's Wickstead's BLOG
:heart: :heart: :lovey: :heart: :heart:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Want/Wish List SALES Thread TRADES Thread :biggrin:

Offline Mewtwofan1

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Currently stumbling through somewhere. Send help.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2019, 05:33:22 AM »
    As much as I dislike the destruction of any animal if it isn’t for food purposes, I have to say yes, Unless there is another way to deal with the population of gulls in a way that doesn’t involve a...direct approach. I’m cool with gulls personally, but I have seen gulls take things from children (one landed on my table and stone my chips the first day I was in Australia visiting.) and act a bit mean. But never cause physical harm to a human, just annoy greatly. Really, if it’s hurting the ecosystem because to population is too large or they pose a genuine threat outside of this incident, then yes something should be done. But if the gulls are more of an annoyance and don’t pose a threat to humans or their companions, let them be. We are the ones who provide food and have obviously encroached upon their habitats.
This. Sentence. Is. False! Dontthinkaboutitdontthinkaboutit.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2019, 06:13:04 AM »
No. We move everywhere we possibly can, we encroach and destroy and toss our crap everywhere and we think that other "pest" animals should be destroyed, while our own numbers go unchecked. We're the biggest pest of all.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2019, 06:20:05 AM »
It sounds like the gulls are very intense, around here we do not have not so many gulls but up north you might have a similar experience. I have to say it's really disappointing to hear people wanting to kill birds when the problem is not the birds but the humans. We kill off their natural predetors, we encourage bad behaviors with food, we over populate and push animals further and further to the edge or end up with them in our backyards. Going around and simply killing the birds is a bandaid, I see it's allure with how easy it would be to execute compared to restructuring our entire society

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline EnaRocketQueen

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Princess of Equestria <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2019, 06:23:30 AM »
No.

Offline Broken Irishwoman

• Trade Count: (+39)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • Revelation 13:16-13:18
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2019, 06:35:52 AM »
No. We move everywhere we possibly can, we encroach and destroy and toss our crap everywhere and we think that other "pest" animals should be destroyed, while our own numbers go unchecked. We're the biggest pest of all.

THIS. :worshippy:

He knows that they're the fool...

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2019, 07:16:28 AM »
I understand the frustration with Seagulls.  I live in Utah, where the Seagull (specifically the California Gull) is the State Bird.  They're everywhere and they can be a real nuisance.   

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2019, 07:25:55 AM »
"I went to the seashore and was mad there were seagulls."  Then don't go to the seashore.

BTW I also grew up somewhere with tons of California gulls.  Yeah, they are noisy a-holes.   They will 100% steal your sandwich if they think they can.  But they are not "dangerous", they aren't going to peck your eyes out.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 07:31:12 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2019, 09:34:22 AM »
Now they’re going after kittens

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/cat-owners-warning-after-seagull-18668380

What’s next a baby?

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2019, 09:40:04 AM »

What’s next a baby?

Kittens/cats shouldn't be outside or they risk getting eaten by a preditor. Any pet owner is ignorant not to know that.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2019, 09:44:02 AM »

What’s next a baby?

Kittens/cats shouldn't be outside or they risk getting eaten by a preditor. Any pet owner is ignorant not to know that.

If Dusty (my Nan and Grandad’s cat before he came to live with my family) was still alive he would of killed a gull.

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2019, 09:52:55 AM »
bright rabbit it really seems you want the gulls to be killed, I wonder why you started this topic? Does hearing others opinions matter? I'm not trying to be rude, I'm genuinely curious why you asked.

It is natural for birds to hunt and kill small mammals and rodents. If you leave a beloved animal outside then you should not be surprised when nature takes course. It is not safe to put pets outside for a lot of reasons.

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2019, 10:00:58 AM »

THIS. JUST... THIS.

Where I live, there are bears, bobcats, badgers, foxes, coyotes, wolves, and more. All of those species will attack pets, and possibly even careless humans. That does not give us any right to massacre them for our own convenience. THEY WERE HERE FIRST. They are not the invasive species... we are. Sadly, so are our pets and farm animals.

I have a dozen pet chickens, myself. There are aggressive hawks all over the place here that would happily carry them off. Solution: I made a big, safe, fenced in yard for my chickens, complete with wire over the top to protect them from aerial predators. I did NOT just try to kill off every hawk in the state of Michigan, simply because they’re a nuisance to me.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 10:03:02 AM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2019, 10:10:10 AM »
bright rabbit it really seems you want the gulls to be killed, I wonder why you started this topic? Does hearing others opinions matter? I'm not trying to be rude, I'm genuinely curious why you asked.

It is natural for birds to hunt and kill small mammals and rodents. If you leave a beloved animal outside then you should not be surprised when nature takes course. It is not safe to put pets outside for a lot of reasons.

It was on Good Morning Britain they were discussing whether or not Gulls should be culled.

I vanted to see what others think whether or not they should be killed. I or one vant the black head Gulls killed as well as the common ones and great black back Gulls. Rare ones I don’t want killed. (Sorry I put the ws as vs I’ve been watching too much One Piece)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 10:12:12 AM by bright rabbit 1 »

Offline Nemesis

• Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2019, 10:50:29 AM »

It was on Good Morning Britain they were discussing whether or not Gulls should be culled.

I vanted to see what others think whether or not they should be killed. I or one vant the black head Gulls killed as well as the common ones and great black back Gulls. Rare ones I don’t want killed. (Sorry I put the ws as vs I’ve been watching too much One Piece)

The fact that you’re talking like a character from a cartoon for no apparent reason while you discuss this... doesn’t really instill me with confidence that you understand the implications and seriousness of what you’re suggesting. :/

We’re talking about whether or not LIVES should be taken for the sake of making life easier for humans and their pets. As a pet owner, I’m very sorry for the loss of the chihuahua and cats... But the owners should have taken better precautions (dog on a leash, cats in house, etc.). Nature is not always friendly or fair. Predators kill smaller animals. No amount of human interference will “fix” this aspect of nature. That is something that humans, the biggest megalomaniac control freaks in the history of the planet, need to learn to accept.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 10:56:07 AM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal