collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: A manga question...  (Read 981 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
A manga question...
« on: July 22, 2019, 09:14:03 AM »
So one of the things I'm trying to do on and off at the moment is sort through things I no longer need/want/read/whatever. I got rid of most of my English manga some years ago. But I still have some Japanese manga that I don't really want any more.

The question is, what to do with it.

I might have taken it to a carboot sale but two problems exist with this. One, the area where my parents are no longer has the large Japanese community it once did, because the companies have gone. And secondly, my Dad just gave up driving because he's fed up with it and sold the car (he's now 76) and I don't drive so that's not an option any more either.

I don't want to junk it but don't feel like donating it to a charity shop near the welsh border is going to be too successful. If it were here in London with me I might, as there is a big Japanese community here, but I am moving out of this place in a few weeks and already have too much stuff. So that's all left at home.

What would you guys do? Stick it on ebay and see what happens?

It's not a whole LOT of manga, but just some that's getting in the way.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Pokeyonekenobie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
Re: A manga question...
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 09:34:16 AM »
What about donating it to the library?  If they can't use it I'm sure they'll put it in their booksale or something.  That's what we do where I work.

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 09:41:43 AM »
What about donating it to the library?  If they can't use it I'm sure they'll put it in their booksale or something.  That's what we do where I work.

I think the same thing applies for the foreign manga in that area of the country compared to other places. It's something to consider - the library did have a section for foreign books but nothing Japanese. All the people who used to be here are mostly now gone since the companies went in the late 1990s. If nothing else though I could ask them. At least about the ones that are sets. Not so much odd volumes. I just think they probably won't take them because there's not an audience for them in that area of the UK.

Here in London, yes, but there? Not so much.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Shaiyeh

• Staff
  • Trade Count: (+78)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • Watch my Youtube!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 12:30:54 AM »
I've successfully sold manga in manga/anime/figurine groups on facebook before. Maybe try that? (a plus side is that there are no fees :) )

Thanks izard for my super cute ava and Starscout for my wonderful siggie!

Offline Taffeta

• Colombian Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 01:04:18 AM »
I've successfully sold manga in manga/anime/figurine groups on facebook before. Maybe try that? (a plus side is that there are no fees :) )

I don't use facebook for transactions. It's just not comfortable for me. I don't feel that it's safe. It probably is the right place to sell it these days, but I only use my facebook to keep in touch with people I no longer see face to face.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Aflame

• Trade Count: (+35)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 01:51:12 AM »
I would say eBay or gumtree :) or if you have a comic book shop near you may be they would've you store credit as dead universe the one near me (they were at pony con doing the pony the card games) will sell pre-loved graphic novels and manga :)

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 04:30:17 AM »
I've successfully sold Japanese manga via a local ad site. There isn't really a Japanese comminity in my city, and all buyers were locals. I believe they were mainly fans of the titles, who saw extra value in the manga being Japanese, regardless of whether they were able to read them or not (I do remember some of those who picked them up F2F telling me they don't speak/can't read Japanese). While I did learn some Japanese and bought Japenese manga mostly to try to practice reading, I do admit that today, 15 years after abandoning my Japanese studies and never finding a way to get back into them, I would still buy some titles in Japanese because I just like the look and feel of Japanese mangas, and of course, there's always the possibility to get back into my studies once again.

I also had some success selling with the help of a local comic book store who (back then) offered the possibility to keep your items on their shelves, and if they sold they gave you the price (deducting a small fee). It might be worth checking out if there's a shop near you who are willing to do this - I remember I was happy with this because while on an ad site you mostly only find something if you look for something, here it was there for everyone to see, and in addition, the books (and other stuff I gave them) weren't taking up space in my apartment ^^

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2019, 07:37:43 AM »
Does Craigslist operate in the UK?  I'd advertise it on there.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal