collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cats 2019  (Read 3571 times)

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
Cats 2019
« on: July 19, 2019, 05:16:34 AM »
Trailer has dropped if the new Cats movie

https://youtu.be/FtSd844cI7U

I don’t get why people hate this, it’s way better than Sonic Movie coming out.

What are your thoughts about this trailer?

Is it creepy than Sonic or not?

Who’s you favourite character from the musical?

Are you happy with who has been cast?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Re: Cats 2019
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2019, 06:01:28 AM »
I don’t get why people hate this, it’s way better than Sonic Movie coming out.

because it looks weird. And really it's the same thing with sonic his face was looking too human, these cat faces look 100% human. And while they would be forgivable to be more human then cat because their bodies are human-- they are not cat at all. And funny enough, people expect a cat/human hybrid of some sort because that's what they were to begin with.

If you crop in to their faces, most of them don't look like a cat. If you cropped in the old cats, you knew they were an animal. I think they could just of done a little bit to the upper lip to make that more cat like. Also where the whiskers hit the skin looks weird. Like if look at a picture of a cat, its a bit dark.

they are wearing body suits with cg on top. And that's an insanely difficult thing to get right, that it looks realistic (like how light hits) But times that by 20 cats? I don't think the CG was nailed for this honestly-- it's average at best. And that just pushes it farther into uncanny valley --when something that is realistic just looks off. I think the short hair cats look the worst because the hair doesn't stick out at all.

That said, the dancing is absolutely beautiful. And the music is just as strong.

ETA: Honestly I prefer the old costumes-- like by far. Just because this technology exists doesn't make it look good.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 07:37:25 AM by banditpony »

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2019, 06:12:29 AM »
Noooooooooo, the costumes from the musical were great. These are.... freaky and disturbing. Either use CGI to give us real cats pretending to sing (new Lion King style) or have actors in bodysuits but dont marry the two with CGI otherwise it's a creepy fur suit.... and I like fursuits when they are mascot-looking
. This is too uncanny valley for me
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline TheBeatlesPkmnFan42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • Can buy, but cannot sell/trade
    • View Profile
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2019, 06:32:42 AM »
I agree with lovesbabysquirmy, it looks super uncanny valley.

Snupps|MLP Discord server|Instagram

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 07:11:14 AM »
My general impression of Cats overall is that it's meant to be uncanny. It's a story woven together from a bunch of weird poetry, and performed by people dressed as cats singing in English xD.

I agree that it would be better to have proper stage costumes than CGI, though. that's a bit weird. Though I suppose they want to animate tails and the easiest way to do that is to make the whole thing...? I dunno.

I prefer it as a stage show, though. I think I have a bigger concern that the set seems broader.

The limited range of the stage gives more power to the characters and their songs/stories. At least in my opinion.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2019, 07:22:22 AM »
CGI?!?!?! Oh no no no no no no... : :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: Why can't they just leave Cats well enough alone.. what, the last time they tried to wreck it wasn't enough? aaaaa why......

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2019, 07:22:46 AM »
Ha ha, wooooow.

Okay, here's my opinion.

The thing about musical theater is it heavily involves suspension of disbelief.  The people on stage aren't real cats.  The backdrop isn't a real city street.  Everything takes place within a limited space (the stage).  And the audience goes into the theater understanding and accepting all those things.

But here we have a movie that has real city streets, unlimited space . . . and the cats are still athletic cat-human hybrids. It's weird, super weird.  It doesn't work.

On top of that, they made it weirder with CGI.

Edit:  I've been trying to decide if it would have been better or worse if their ears moved to portray their emotions, like real cats.  On the one hand, it makes them seem even weirder that their ears don't move.  On the other hand . . . yeah, it might have been worse.  No winning with this one.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 07:27:51 AM by LadyMoondancer »
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2019, 07:24:10 AM »
Nothing... just NOTHING... will ever be as creepy as Sonic. :yikes:

So... I have mixed feelings. I’m not getting uncanny valley from this, but I think the faces could be a lot better. The whiskers need to stand out more, and the bodysuits leave most of the female characters with oddly masculine-looking chests, which they never had in the stage productions... 

I like Jennifer Hudson as Grizzabella. Ian McKellen and Idris Elba are also nice additions to the cast. I think most of the casting is good, with a few notable exceptions...

Overall, I’d say I’m somewhat interested in seeing it. It’s not repugnant to me or anything. I wish a few things had been handled differently, but the music and choreography make up for it, in my book.

My general impression of Cats overall is that it's meant to be uncanny. It's a story woven together from a bunch of weird poetry, and performed by people dressed as cats singing in English xD.

Pretty much this. XD I don’t think I would be able to accept a version of ALW’s Cats without an extremely weird, surreal aesthetic... The actual book is one thing, but the ALW version is something I would not want to see acted out by realistic CGI cats. It would feel... wrong.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 11:04:49 PM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 07:35:08 AM »
Ha ha, wooooow.

Okay, here's my opinion.

The thing about musical theater is it heavily involves suspension of disbelief.  The people on stage aren't real cats.  The backdrop isn't a real city street.  Everything takes place within a limited space (the stage).  And the audience goes into the theater understanding and accepting all those things.

But here we have a movie that has real city streets, unlimited space . . . and the cats are still athletic cat-human hybrids. It's weird, super weird.  It doesn't work.

Yes! This. This is what I was trying to say about the set. It feels wrong not on the stage.

I agree with Nemesis as well, though. Real cats performing would be even weirder.

Fundamentally I think Cats only works for me actually live on stage.

As a kid I wasn't super interested into it, but I played Memory on the clarinet and used to sing it so when it came to London a few years ago I decided to go see it. I was actually blown away by the live performance, even though I'd seen recordings of stuff. It was the atmosphere that made the show, as well as the music.

The trailer has no atmosphere. It's a bunch of people dressed as cats singing well known songs from Cats.

|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2019, 09:14:50 AM »
Watched this at my local theatre (stage vers) had Growtiger’s Last Stand in and the siamese popped out from under the stage frightening me.

To me Macavity in the 1998 film didn’t look like a cat more of a demon, Macavity in this looks more like a cat. Wearing a hat, coat, and having a fluffy tail. I just hope they clear up the connection to him and Mr Mistoffeles being his son.

Offline CloudyGlow

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2019, 09:32:07 AM »
Confession: I've never liked Cats, but I heard they were making it and was willing to give it a second chance. But I saw the trailer. It is very creepy to me. Worse than Sonic. Some people brought up that this would have worked better as an entirely animated film and I agree. Singing cats that look like Aristocrats or something sounds so much better. Or even bring in a competent furry artist and they could've come up with something cat people that isn't a nightmare.

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2019, 09:58:57 AM »
Confession: I've never liked Cats, but I heard they were making it and was willing to give it a second chance. But I saw the trailer. It is very creepy to me. Worse than Sonic. Some people brought up that this would have worked better as an entirely animated film and I agree. Singing cats that look like Aristocrats or something sounds so much better. Or even bring in a competent furry artist and they could've come up with something cat people that isn't a nightmare.

ALW doesn’t like animated film, he promised the author (who wrote the poems) wife that he won’t animate it like Disney wanted to do (Luckily he didn’t succeed). And ALW doesn’t go back on his word.

I don’t think it’s a nightmare.
This is just like Avatar and Greatest Showman.

On the other note

Macavity (2019)

Macavity 1998

Which do you prefer

Offline LadyMoondancer

• *Arena VIP*
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
    • http://www.superpony.com
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2019, 10:08:20 AM »
I don't think making it with real looking cats (animated or CGI) would have worked at all.  The choreography is such a big part of the show.  Let's be real:  Cats has a paper-thin 'plot'.  It's just a string of cat poems by T.S. Elliott set to music.  Like a variety show of cat-dressed performers. This isn't Les Miserables, this is "Okay gang, we're singing about the train-cat now!  Woo-woo!"

It really doesn't work outside of musical theater.
Visit my Tumblr, Heck Yeah, Pony Scans!

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2019, 10:26:42 AM »
I love this :lol:
I unironically love CATS. It's a bunch of sexy dancers in tight costumes acting out a bunch of poems about felis domesticus. Nothing more and nothing less.

This movie looks just like the musical but with some CG effects instead of string tails and cloth fur. They are not supposed to look like real cats they are supposed to look like the musical performers. I dig it.

Who’s you favourite character from the musical?

Are you happy with who has been cast?

Bombalurina and I am not exactly happy about Taylor Swift but then again I never thought about who should play her. My only issue is that she should have had longer fur and be unrealistically red  :P
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 10:33:42 AM by Zapper »

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2019, 10:27:08 AM »
I don't think making it with real looking cats (animated or CGI) would have worked at all.  The choreography is such a big part of the show.  Let's be real:  Cats has a paper-thin 'plot'.  It's just a string of cat poems by T.S. Elliott set to music.  Like a variety show of cat-dressed performers. This isn't Les Miserables, this is "Okay gang, we're singing about the train-cat now!  Woo-woo!"

It really doesn't work outside of musical theater.

And some of the moves are hard to do, the one who played Mongojerry in the 1998 one had to have a support on him because during the practice run of the double cartwheel he twisted his back a bit.

Post Merge: July 19, 2019, 10:29:47 AM

I love this :lol:
I unironically love CATS. It's a bunch of sexy dancers in tight costumes acting out a bunch of poems about felis domesticus. Nothing more and nothing less.

Thos movie looks just like the musical but with some CG effects instead of string tails and cloth fur. They are not supposed to look like real cats they are supposed to look like the musical performers. I dig it.

Talking about sexy cats Munkustrap (1998) visitors can't see pics , please register or login

And Macavity 2019 visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 10:30:18 AM by bright rabbit 1 »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal