collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Cats 2019  (Read 3577 times)

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
Re: Cats 2019
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2019, 10:44:09 AM »
It really doesn't work outside of musical theater.

see, this is what I'm saying, and that's why the original filmed version worked so well (granted it wasn't perfect - they cut down several sequences for time - but still). It wasn't trying to be something it's not; it didn't take something that is made for one specific genre/venue/whatever phrase you want to use, and then try and awkwardly shoehorn it into a different one. :/

I would have liked to see another filmed performance, but I guess everything has to be covered in CGI these days...? -shakes head-
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2019, 10:52:22 AM »
It really doesn't work outside of musical theater.

see, this is what I'm saying, and that's why the original filmed version worked so well (granted it wasn't perfect - they cut down several sequences for time - but still). It wasn't trying to be something it's not; it didn't take something that is made for one specific genre/venue/whatever phrase you want to use, and then try and awkwardly shoehorn it into a different one. :/

I would have liked to see another filmed performance, but I guess everything has to be covered in CGI these days...? -shakes head-

Have you seen anything like goofs or things that shouldn’t be there in the film version.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2019, 11:22:17 AM »
And Macavity 2019 visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sorry but no. Idris Elbacat is not sexy to me at all.
None of them are. They all look like little cat demons XD

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2019, 01:05:26 PM »
And Macavity 2019 visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sorry but no. Idris Elbacat is not sexy to me at all.
None of them are. They all look like little cat demons XD

Rum Tum Tugger is creepy and not sexy (my mum had a crush on him in the 1998 version)

Thing that put me off is that giant bra that one of the cats used.

Offline pawpatrolbab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Power Puff Pony
  • Never be afraid to be yourself
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2019, 01:37:03 PM »
I know nothing about the original but from the trailer I don't like how it looks
🌈Wordpress Blog: https://natescoloringbook.wordpress.com/
✨Tumblr Blog: https://crayoncritter.tumblr.com/
I don't have much of a collection anymore due to immigrating but I hope to bring my trade score up so I can participate in the future! Always open and looking to make friends with fellow adults 💙 Please don't hesitate to shoot me a message!

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2019, 03:08:56 PM »
I’ve never seen Cats.  I will one day when it’s on stage.   But, I’m not bothered any more by the CGI than I am by the cat suits.  Either way, I think the costumes always seemed a little creepy to me.  Adults pretending to be sexy cats?  That’s not how I see cats and that’s probably why I haven’t seen it.  But I do love the music so I plan to one day.

CGI Sonic is way creepier.  Just... no comparison.
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Sunset

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2019, 04:16:03 PM »
I’m a fan of the musical but I don’t like how they cgi’d this.  I also wish the had stuck with the costumes.  They could have just used cgi for the tails.  But the faces in particular are both too human but not human enough at the same time.  I also agree about the short hair.  I feel like longer hair would have softened the edges and make them look a little more cat like rather than a bunch of people who have grown a pelt and are now running around naked.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2019, 04:29:46 PM »
Either way, I think the costumes always seemed a little creepy to me.  Adults pretending to be sexy cats?  That’s not how I see cats and that’s probably why I haven’t seen it.

Never see Starlight Express. Adults pretending to be sexy trains wearing corsets, garters and codpieces. Andrew Lloyd Webber is like that :cool:

I wish they made a Starlight Express movie, it would be insane

Offline Gator

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2019, 04:35:25 PM »
Wow, I'm the odd man out.
 As soon as the trailer dropped I was showing it to my family and making plans to see it with my niece who is a cat nut(the animals, not the play). 
I have never liked most of the costumes in the play.  I felt like, well, like they didn't resemble real cat coat and color patterns.  In this trailer, I can tell Oh, that's an orange tabby.  Or heck, actually tell that is a tabby pattern at all compared to the mixed up splashes of color on the theater costumes.
But that's just my opinion.  Don't throw fakies at me.

I will add, Taylor Swift... Me-wow!
And Rebel Wilson... Awesome!  She does look a little weird here, but in real life I find her very attractive and have a crush on her.

Offline Zapper

• Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2019, 04:46:14 PM »
And Rebel Wilson... Awesome!  She does look a little weird here, but in real life I find her very attractive and have a crush on her.

I support you :lol:
I hope they won't make Rebel the laughing stock. It looks that way from the trailer and I don't understand what character she is playing.

Offline SaraMari

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2019, 04:59:39 PM »
I have seen stills from the trailer and that is enough for me, it does not look good design wise and I don't think they have the technology to render it in a pleasing way. I can't bring myself to watch the trailer it looks too creepy and pointless. Like there is already recordings on the stage show?

Edit: ok I just watched it so I can make an informed opinion. And yes it is ugly and I don't like it. Why didn't they wear costumes in a cg environment? The cg is bad (not badly done, just design wise bad), and I agree the fur is too short.

The cast looks good for the most part, and there will be good renditions but oh the look of it is off putting
« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 05:07:57 PM by SaraMari »

:heart: :heart: https://www.instagram.com/moonglowdreams  :heart: :heart:

Online Carrehz

• #1 Prizestuffer
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
  • I'm gonna live forever or die trying!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2019, 05:42:23 PM »
Honestly, the one thing I am a little curious about with regards to this film is what they'll do with "Growltiger's Last Stand". The original film cut it and even the current version of the show has replaced it with "The Awefull Battle of the Pekes and the Pollicles" (not a *perfect* replacement, but better than the revised version of "Growltiger" that they had in the Palladium run a few years back -_-). Between the Palladium run revising it and the Broadway/International run replacing it, I get the feeling they're realizing that sequence is one of the weaker points of the show... so I wonder how they'll handle it here.

Online Loa

• Queen of Sloths
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+96)
  • Penguin Goddess Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2019, 08:10:42 PM »
Noooooooooo, the costumes from the musical were great. These are.... freaky and disturbing. Either use CGI to give us real cats pretending to sing (new Lion King style) or have actors in bodysuits but dont marry the two with CGI otherwise it's a creepy fur suit.... and I like fursuits when they are mascot-looking
. This is too uncanny valley for me

Totally this. The whole trailer I was nope nope nope.

Thank you SquarePeg!
My Instagram - MLPArena's Instagram - My Sales on Trade Me!

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2019, 10:48:15 PM »

I support you :lol:
I hope they won't make Rebel the laughing stock. It looks that way from the trailer and I don't understand what character she is playing.

Rebel is playing Jennyanydots

Offline Beldarna

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://www.freewebs.com/beldarna
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2019, 12:01:18 AM »
I actually like the trailer and the way the cats are shown. Mind you, I have a slight fever right now so who know what I will think when that's gone.. But to be fair, just throw in Memory anywhere and I'm sold.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal