collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Poll

Favorite Puppet Muppet

Sesame Street
3 (14.3%)
The Muppet Show
3 (14.3%)
Fraggle Rock
5 (23.8%)
Eureeka's Castle
1 (4.8%)
Zooboomafoo
3 (14.3%)
Bear in the Big Blue House
2 (9.5%)
Yo Gabba Gabba!
0 (0%)
Other (Please Comment)
4 (19%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Author Topic: Favorite Puppet Show  (Read 1806 times)

Offline Blushpuppie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Bratz Pony
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite Puppet Show
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2019, 07:23:39 PM »
Almost anything Jim Henson touched in his lifetime is an eternal classic in my book. I'm a tremendous Muppets geek and especially adore Gonzo, Robin, and the Electric Mayhem (heads up -- The Muppet Movie will show at select US theaters the 25th and 30th of this month for its 40th anniversary; I can't wait to see it on the big screen!). Fraggle Rock is brilliant and touches on so many complex themes I've not seen addressed nearly as well elsewhere, whether aimed at children or adults. And while all the Christmas specials are excellent, Emmett Otter's Jug Band Christmas should be tantamount to Rudolph and the Grinch in every home in the country. c;

I grew up with Sesame in the mid-late 90s -- the 'Around the Corner' era that introduced a set expansion and many new characters that were all wiped out in a few years because apparently kids couldn't keep up with them all. (I still haven't stopped being bitter about that, pfft.) Almost everything post-Elmo's World is unwatchable to me -- so much of the original edge and humor left when he was pushed front and center, and now the stories they're trying to tell with him are completely unrealistic for the age he is supposed to represent (that's why Big Bird used to be used so much). It's in a pretty sad state.

Funnily enough, up until only the last couple of years, I was fully intent on entering the children's TV field as a writer/producer/researcher. It's been a huge interest area most of my life, and plenty of shows from my childhood onward helped influence that. My all-time favorite preschool series is a hugely underrated one (maybe because it gets mixed up often with Eureeka's Castle?) -- Allegra's Window from Nick Jr. It was the complete package, very ahead of its time, not obnoxious or pandering, full of fun little details, and just hugely adorable and charming. Many Sesame and Fraggle Rock alums actually worked on it, so it's definitely worth a peek if you have little ones. ♡
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 07:26:07 PM by Blushpuppie »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal