collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Advise me -- collections by a fireplace?  (Read 1056 times)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
Advise me -- collections by a fireplace?
« on: July 15, 2019, 07:41:23 AM »
So. How awful would it be to store collections next to (not above or on) a fireplace?  The fireplace would have an insert.

I don't think the room would be super hot, as the room is below grade.. the fire would only be used to heat approximately 300sq feet.

How quickly would things get damaged.. assuming it would be used 13-20 times for the winter.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Online lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
Re: Advise me -- collections by a fireplace?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2019, 03:55:18 AM »
residual smoke would be an issue....
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 05:10:26 AM »
Is there a lot of smoke though? Especially with an insert..?

I grew up with a wood stove, and ghosting shows up around 15-20 years.  But! That house also has higher humidity and no central heating system.

This house has a central heating, and too low of humidity during the winter.. so I feel like it wouldn't be a huge concern?

Or are you saying the potential smoke when the fire is starting would cause that much damage?

Offline brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 10:52:34 AM »
I don't know.  Heat, light and smoke will always be an issue for any kind of plastics.  It's your call if you don't think there will be any heat or smoke.  I don't think any one can guarantee that your collection will be safe as we don't have the kind of knowledge about the home as you do. 
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 11:27:06 AM »
I mean, I have never used a fireplace so I don't know.. that's why I'm asking...

But bookshelves near fireplaces isn't a new concept (as I've seen built in bookshelves). There's obviously going to be heat, but I don't know how much. Traditionally people put photographs on the mantel, and those are delicate? So this is my thought process in it's not going to matter much. (or mixed reviews about TVs being above).

I should have all relative details of the set up. With the exception of we had a new flue put in.

I'm not expecting someone to say "all will be fine" because I'm not putting it in a heat and humidity controlled room. Just more of a general thing of 20 years down the line I might notice this or that-- based on low usage.

Offline Sora

• Pokémon Master
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2019, 03:07:21 PM »
I can't answer with the smoke part, but I do have two cardboard Kingdom Hearts boxes and a Tepig plush sitting atop them right next to an electric fireplace. That thing gets really hot when it's on (enough that it could slightly burn your back if you sit too close; not that I do that of course, nope) and there's no visible damage from what I've seen.

I do keep checking for any signs of wear, but they seem to be okay, and the fireplace is on roughly the same amount of time as you plan to have yours on. Again though, mine's not an actual fireplace, so a second opinion might be needed.

Aqua Heart custom by Kitkumi!

Offline SpacePinto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2019, 07:09:58 AM »
I have a general rule of thumb not to place anything I have an emotional attachment to anywhere near sources of heat, direct sunlight, high humidity etc.

How about you move some less valuable decorations from other part of the house over the fireplace and then place ponies in their place?
Inka Dinka Doo

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2019, 07:25:49 AM »
Thanks Sora :) that is helpful since some heat would be a factor.

And yes Spacepinto, maybe moving some expensive stuff away for the winter would be ideal. It's actually probably the best room (light and heat wise) otherwise to store things in. Every thing is on the third floor right now which is hotter and probably humid overall.

With the exception of my sub basement where the humidity is 100% controlled, lol. But yeah, I'm not going to store stuff in my unfinished laundry room lol.

Which also makes me think.. what IS the best humidity level and temp for vintage plastics? What about books?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 07:29:19 AM by banditpony »

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal