collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Where to get pony hair in Europe?  (Read 3430 times)

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Trade Count: (+76)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
Where to get pony hair in Europe?
« on: July 15, 2019, 01:38:17 AM »
I've ordered hair for customs before, but that was back when I lived in the US. Are there suppliers located in Europe that would have a hair color match for Gusty's green?

So far I've found "my little customs" site, but they are sold out of that color. And Retro Dolls Europe here in Sweden doesn't seem to have the right shade of green?

Retro Dolls UK has "Eden Nylon" green, is that a match for Gusty? Sorry, this is more complicated to locate over here it seems. lol! Thanks for any help!
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 01:48:52 AM by Teddy »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Click HERE to visit my MLP Tales site!

Offline Shileah

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Big Brother Pony
    • View Profile
    • Instagram
Re: Where to get pony hair in Europe?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2019, 02:09:00 AM »
I'm still looking for a supplier with a good stock too, since my attempts at getting actually quality hair have been rather disappointing, too. I've ordered on Retro Dolls UK, but despite my name being correct in the order confirmation, it was wrong on the shipping label and usually the delivery guys still get it right, but this time it went back and now I am reluctant to try again. :( It seems like all good colours are sold out everywhere! I got a hairless Bow Tie, Applejack, Dancing Butterflies, Up Up and Away and several babies sitting around waiting for new hair and all I have is cheap wish fibre which was great for learning how to reroot, but these ponies are in great condition and deserve proper hair. :(
Specifically looking for G1 with pen markings similar to this (my initials - W.S.):

Instagram

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2019, 01:14:31 AM »
Aww, sorry you're having the same problems as me! I had no idea it was so difficult to get hair over here. :(

Offline Moonbreeze

• Trade Count: (+202)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • G2 nut
    • View Profile
    • My personal site
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2019, 10:12:45 AM »
I usually end up buying from Dollyhair :( Mylittlecustoms rarely has any stock and I'm not familiar with the matches on RetroDolls

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2019, 10:39:07 AM »
Add me in! I've been waiting for my Dollyhair order for over 7 weeks now, and while I don't mind waiting for packages as long as they arrive, I started to worry about this one (I just mailed them yesterday to ask if the tracking they gave me is correct, as it doesn't show any movement since the 30th of May :huh: ), and there's also that our local post has recently got into the habit of keeping literally all packages coming from the US in for customs, which adds weeks' waiting time (one of my orders have been in the country since the 14th of June) even if I don't have to pay in the end.
For these reasons I'd love to have a source of hair on my continent, but I, too, am unfamiliar with hair matches on other sites...

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2019, 01:39:32 AM »
I usually end up buying from Dollyhair :( Mylittlecustoms rarely has any stock and I'm not familiar with the matches on RetroDolls

Yeah, I always bought from Dollyhair when I was in the US as they have a great selection! :) But now that I'm over here, the customs fees for packages from outside the EU are absolutely ridiculous, so it's not worth it to buy anything from anywhere else. :(

Add me in! I've been waiting for my Dollyhair order for over 7 weeks now, and while I don't mind waiting for packages as long as they arrive, I started to worry about this one (I just mailed them yesterday to ask if the tracking they gave me is correct, as it doesn't show any movement since the 30th of May :huh: ), and there's also that our local post has recently got into the habit of keeping literally all packages coming from the US in for customs, which adds weeks' waiting time (one of my orders have been in the country since the 14th of June) even if I don't have to pay in the end.
For these reasons I'd love to have a source of hair on my continent, but I, too, am unfamiliar with hair matches on other sites...

Oh my, that is a looooong time for a package to arrive! I hope yours didn't get lost in customs. :/ And yes, it's so hard to tell how close the colors are from other sites. They just don't have the same huge selection of colors as Dollyhair does.

I have sent messages to Retro Dolls UK and Retro Dolls Europe asking which color of theirs is the best match for Gusty, so we'll see if they can help me at all. None of them look quite right, though.

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 06:17:34 AM »
i would recommend retrodollsuk - the nylon has a great quality and i order my rit dye from her for gradient manes. ^^

in the past i had all fine delivery from them and i order a few times in the year. I guess dollyhair is good for easy hairmatches but i highly prefer retrodolls in quantity and price, also the nylon hair feels awesome!
that said, i blend all my colors, so i do not have to order super accurate hair color matches. ^^

i can not check for a hair-match as i do not have gusty (a shame i know o.O) - but maybe Noasar can help out there?

------------
okay, i checked and a website says it is sea nsmpgh from dollyhair. i have a bag of sea nymph here but it does not match any tones from retrodollsuk currently
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 06:25:32 AM by AnnaPommes »
~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2019, 02:12:46 AM »
i would recommend retrodollsuk - the nylon has a great quality and i order my rit dye from her for gradient manes. ^^

in the past i had all fine delivery from them and i order a few times in the year. I guess dollyhair is good for easy hairmatches but i highly prefer retrodolls in quantity and price, also the nylon hair feels awesome!
that said, i blend all my colors, so i do not have to order super accurate hair color matches. ^^

i can not check for a hair-match as i do not have gusty (a shame i know o.O) - but maybe Noasar can help out there?

------------
okay, i checked and a website says it is sea nsmpgh from dollyhair. i have a bag of sea nymph here but it does not match any tones from retrodollsuk currently

Thanks for the info! :) They do have the right color (Sea Nymph), but it is out of stock and they never responded when I asked when they might get that color in again. It's ok though, I found an acceptable alternative from Retro Dolls Europe here in Sweden. Not perfect, but close enough for my purposes. ;)

Offline Detka21

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Drink 'n' Wet Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 07:25:23 AM »
I'm not very experienced in doll hair quality, but I ordered some hair from Aliexpress. Bybrana was the seller's name. I can't confirm if the color of the hair transfers to pony's body though, but the hair itself is gorgeous.

Offline rybett

• Mintylicious Midwest Pony
  • Trade Count: (+33)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 12:36:03 PM »
I was hunting glow nylon on etsy.  DollTress seems to have a lot of the MLP colors.  US based.    Ended up getting some from CustomDollHairAU.   The Jade might match Gusty.  Shipping to US did not take long and the quality of the glow hair is nice.
:socks:   :frog:

Offline Noasar

• Armour Plated Pony
  • Trade Count: (+34)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Little Starglow Ponies
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2019, 02:00:59 PM »
There is a list of hair colour matches for Retrodolls UK/US in the customs forum. Personally, I order from Dollyhair - I’ve never had any issues with it taking ages to arrive. They seem to have a much wider range of MLP hair matches than the other sites.

Offline AnnaPommes

• glow-in-the-dark pony
  • Trade Count: (+62)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
    • Pommes cute things
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 12:12:44 AM »
I'm not very experienced in doll hair quality, but I ordered some hair from Aliexpress. Bybrana was the seller's name. I can't confirm if the color of the hair transfers to pony's body though, but the hair itself is gorgeous.

oh, bybrana has nice dollhair! It is a lot sturdier than the regular nylon you get at retrodolls or dollyhair. I found it is a lot harder to style ( just wiht heat) but once it is set it stays in shape! thats why i use it on my Plush. ^^
nylon dollhair from retrodolls/dollyhair is a lot more versatile? i love to blend and dye it!

both are good to work with depending on what result you want, i guess. so for everybody who has just tested one of these kinds i highly recommend to try the other too. ^^
~ Visit the Pommes-shop ~
www.etsy.com/shop/AnnagretStudio With usefull artprints, cute decor, stationery and crafting kits!
Or linktree with more fancy things!
wonderfull avatar by the lovely Shaiyeh!

Offline Loona

• Trade Count: (+15)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2019, 06:32:46 AM »
Is the hair you get from Bybrana's store stiff/straight when you hold it up? I have ordered hair from Aliexpress a couple of times already, from a number of shops, and the common thing I found with all of them is that the hair is just too stiff and doesn't fall nicely, especially on smaller scale. I found it to be OK for larger scale dolls' wigs, but for smaller scale dolls like Monster High, it's just too thick, stiff and bulky for my taste - and I wouldn't use it on ponies for the same reason either. It'd be lovely to find an alternative where you can get hair with the same thickness and stiffness as the original hair used on ponies, but I haven't yet been able to find that on Aliexpress, and judging by the listing pictures, this store seems to carry the same hair as other stores on Ali do.

My lovely awareness adoptable was created by HollowZero.

Offline TornadoLovesMelody

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+69)
    • View Profile
    • My Sales Album (not updated)
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2019, 06:20:22 AM »
Teddy, did you find a solution? If not we do have quite some customizers in Sweden and you are free to ask in the Swedish fb group too =) [are you a member there already?]

Offline Teddy

• MLP Tales Goddess
  • Mother of Ducks
    • View Profile
    • Teddy's Place
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2019, 08:54:32 AM »
Teddy, did you find a solution? If not we do have quite some customizers in Sweden and you are free to ask in the Swedish fb group too =) [are you a member there already?]

Yes, I found an acceptable solution from Retro Dolls Europe. Thanks! :) And yes, I'm in the Swedish FB group, but I don't post there really since I'm not the best at Swedish (I'm from the US, but live here now) and I don't always know how to say what I want correctly.  :redface:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal