collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: How close are you to completing your collection?  (Read 2569 times)

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
Re: How close are you to completing your collection?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2019, 03:37:21 AM »
I think in pony terms I am pretty done. There are one or two like sugarcake still but I will never be able to afford her so...

Backcards and leaflets are another matter. I am still looking for these as the UK  cards especially don't survive.

I collect other gens as and when I find them but only g1 is an all encompassing project for me.

We have lost so much actual meaningful info online over thr last 10 years. At the very least if I can put together what I can and preserve it maybe one day in the future it will be helpful.

I probably have too many ponies but won't part with them as I would regret it. And my sister would kill me.

I have added mips, variations and upgrades over the last decade or so but the bulk of my collecting was done before this arena was born...when everything was cheaper and easier to get. I could not begin now. It would be a nightmare.

My physical collection is close to complete but the collecting of the really interesting stuff - information and history - is never ending.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline lovesbabysquirmy

• Trade Count: (+60)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • ~never too old for ponies~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2019, 03:51:46 AM »
always ongoing, never finished.... i enjoy the thrill of the hunt
The Bad Trader List

<3 Sig Art: SquarePeg[current avatar] Vanilla Virus, Sweetpop, Thimble, SourdoughStomper, LyrePony, Tropical Sunset, PureNightShade, Ellis1342,KissedByThunder, Shaiyeh <3

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2019, 04:00:56 AM »
Hmm... I don’t think my collection will ever be complete. I like to think of myself as a sort of hobbyist “toy historian”... I read up on the history of toylines, brands, and manufacturers, I watch old TV commercials, I browse old catalogues... Not just MLP, but dolls, action figures, plushies, and lots of other things. I like to watch the changing trends and patterns in new toys, too. As long as there are awesome things to collect, I will collect them.

As far as just MLP goes, I’m always excited about what’s on the horizon. I’m eager to see what G5 will bring, as well as future BF releases! My G1-G4 collections are nowhere near complete either, haha. XD
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 05:45:37 AM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline kingluke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • The Great King of Lucia
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2019, 04:14:02 AM »
Im definitly not finished, there are still soooo many ponies I want
Lover of Windwhistler

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2019, 04:48:59 AM »
For me, it's fluid. I only have < 25 ponies, and I'm picky on what gets added. In fact, there are some that might be on the chopping block eventually. But in the same sense I would add someone if I felt like I really wanted another. (I could always use more SHS after all, lol).

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline OleGrayMane

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dance N' Prance Pony
  • A Third Act Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2019, 10:45:48 AM »
Wait... you can complete a collection of ponies‽ Of anything‽ 

Part of the fun of collecting for me is the search. Completion would mean the end of the fun. Fortunately, I can't even glimpse the collecting horizon from where I'm at. I keep learning, seeing new things, and branching out, so I've got plenty of fun ahead.

Offline Leave a Whisper

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • In the Land of Dreams
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2019, 10:53:37 AM »
Not even halfway yet. I don't think.
Thanks to TheRockinStallion for my Ponysona Artless

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2019, 12:02:35 PM »
Hmm... I don’t think my collection will ever be complete. I like to think of myself as a sort of hobbyist “toy historian”... I read up on the history of toylines, brands, and manufacturers, I watch old TV commercials, I browse old catalogues... Not just MLP, but dolls, action figures, plushies, and lots of other things. I like to watch the changing trends and patterns in new toys, too. As long as there are awesome things to collect, I will collect them.

This somewhat resonates with me too, though I am more specific (mostly G1 ponies, though I did some stuff with Jem some years back). It's a project, it's about the toys but also their history, who was sold where, when, and so on. I think the historian in me has taken over a little bit, but since pretty much everything mainstream online focuses on only one geographical region of MLP release, and I didn't grow up there, it's always driven me to find out what happened here instead.

The US line is the only mlp line that is logical, well publicised and clear. For those reasons it holds zero investigative appeal to me :) I love the ponies the US had but couldn't care less about US release dates, set names, pony names except to contextualise other more unpredictable pony releases. The hook is in the stuff that doesn't follow the US timeline, and hunting for that information is a kind of collecting that never ends.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 12:05:02 PM by Taffeta »
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline Einhornbaby

• Slaughterhouse II
  • Trade Count: (+124)
  • Spain Piggy Pony
    • View Profile
    • http://einhornbaby.contract-killers.de
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2019, 12:27:15 PM »
Ill never be done :) there will always be a variant I want or a sticker, a poster, a pamphlet, merchandise .... and so on.

Offline little.fox

• Trade Count: (+84)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
  • The Little Red Fox
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2019, 12:42:10 PM »
Ill never be done :) there will always be a variant I want or a sticker, a poster, a pamphlet, merchandise .... and so on.

Can only agree with this!

I've sold off most of my collection, but I still love Mlp and I'm always gonna keep an eye open for that pony I could never get hold of (looking at you Ice Crystal), and all kinds of merch.

Offline Water Lily

• Trade Count: (+33)
  • Prom Queen Sweetheart Sister Pony
  • Hi Everypony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2019, 01:25:01 PM »
I don't think it ever ends really, theres just so much!..but I take breaks from buying when money is tight or like now I just have no room for anything so its kind of on a pause. So much of my collection is in boxes right now as it is.
You can never go wrong with being kind. :good:

Offline JazzMatazz

• Trade Count: (+58)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • I'll interrogate the cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2019, 02:58:11 PM »
I downsized when things were at it's peak for resale with G4 and I was so busy with life and didn't have the funds to collect for awhile. I'm just starting back in collecting and haven't posted yet but just finished all my baby g1 playtime brothers! Getting a cheap Paradise Estate really sparked my interest again.

I'm pretty particular what I pick up for space reasons since I also collect ninja turtles and man is neca breaking my wallet this year! Plus I collect for my American Girl Doll Kit too. I'll be getting my own display area this winter so I'm pretty excited to save up for some shelving
My Wishlist  Instagram
 Sun, Ultra Moon  FC: 5069-4168-6248  SW-8466-0948-3971

Offline Nemesis

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
  • Material Girl
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2019, 05:39:52 PM »

This somewhat resonates with me too, though I am more specific (mostly G1 ponies, though I did some stuff with Jem some years back). It's a project, it's about the toys but also their history, who was sold where, when, and so on. I think the historian in me has taken over a little bit, but since pretty much everything mainstream online focuses on only one geographical region of MLP release, and I didn't grow up there, it's always driven me to find out what happened here instead.

The US line is the only mlp line that is logical, well publicised and clear. For those reasons it holds zero investigative appeal to me :) I love the ponies the US had but couldn't care less about US release dates, set names, pony names except to contextualise other more unpredictable pony releases. The hook is in the stuff that doesn't follow the US timeline, and hunting for that information is a kind of collecting that never ends.

Yeah, the U.S. releases are pretty well-documented. I’m more interested in the overall history of the toy market: what competing companies were doing, how and when fads emerged in the industry, how play-styles and advertising have shifted over the decades... I like to study the ebb and flow of the U.S. toy market in its entirety, more-so than any specific line or brand. :) I lean heavily towards the North American releases, simply because those are what I grew up with and have the strongest nostalgia and feelings for. I imagine it’s much the same for you and the UK releases. :)

For me, toy history kind of represents the brightest parts of any given era. It’s the history of something joyful and fun, invented to make people happy and inspire imagination (and of course, to make money for the manufacturers). A lot of history is full of ugliness and strife, but there’s far, far less of that in something like the toy industry. It makes me happy to look back at times gone by and say: “Whatever else was happening in the world back then, there were still children playing with Barbies, MLPs, superhero toys, and plushies.” That’s oddly profound to me...

Also... I still play with my toys, and that’s something I truly cherish. X3 I love that I still get hyper and excited over a new pony. XD So I guess shifting toy trends fascinate me in part because they still impact me, haha.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2019, 05:59:55 PM by Nemesis »
🌈⭐️Check out my wishlist! Seeking all generations of ponies, Fashion Star Fillies, Magic Meadow Ponies, REMCO ponies, Sweetie Pups/Kitties, cutesy 80s/90s toys, and more!🦄🌙

Offline Marlin

• Trade Count: (+48)
  • G3 Prototype Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2019, 10:09:11 PM »
Miles off.
My G1 buying has slowed considerably, mostly to do with budget constraints.
Collecting ponies is an absolute joy for me personally, but I have to do it sensibly, which usually means lucking out or getting new additions through lots - most especially since I have to factor in the ever increasing woe of international shipping costs. I'm also frequently hindered now that when a nice bulk lot comes along, it seems rather pointless to angle for it when there's only one or two ponies in it that I need and the rest I'll have to move on (which can be fun, but it's also time consuming). Factor in that many of the ponies I need nowadays are in the upper price range and really, I'm screwed  :P
Still, like lovesbabysquimy said I think, the thrill of the hunt keeps things interesting, and often quite satisfying when you do finally achieve a collecting goal, like finally getting a grail you've been after for years. So, bit by bit and piece by piece I will pick up accessories and pony wear, and pony by pony I will continue to expand the herd at glacial pace  :lol:

Offline bright rabbit 1

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Sweet Scoops Pony w/Charm
  • Titan Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2019, 11:30:24 PM »
Not completed my G1 ponies yet. I’ve still got to customise some baits into ones I don’t have. I’m putting them in order of specials (Midnight Castle and Katrina) and my favourite episodes from the T.V series.

A mother pony can be protective of her young just like dogs.

Friend Code: SW-4221-8531-0056

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal