collapse

* Navigation

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Who's Online

Author Topic: Am I the only one?  (Read 7025 times)

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
Re: Am I the only one?
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2019, 02:04:04 AM »
I just hope they release Sundances! A repro Sundance and Megan set would be adorable.
I still think this should have been the sdcc thing. But I am still resentful they chose majesty...

More mashems would be amazing....

Not really a fan of chibi everything since it is overdone. But mashems would be fine...

I honestly feel the same about retro toys being overdone.

Maybe it's because before G4 I thought G1 ponies were ugly? And I paid zero attention to MLP as a child.  Never watched a single episode sold the two ponies I had at a yardsale and only liked baby sea ponies.

I mean I honestly love all gens now though.

Offline Harmonie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Dabbles Pony
  • Crazy Woodwind Lady
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2019, 06:35:45 AM »
I'm the opposite, I'm so happy to see this. In fact, I wish they would do more and go on and do later lines. I've actually only recently taken an interest in G1 specifically (I've been G3 for years), and feel very new to G1, so just being able to pick up new reproductions is simple and nice and I also feel like I'm not taking originals from more serious collectors, if that makes any sense?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

|My Collection|

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2019, 08:18:26 AM »
I'm the opposite, I'm so happy to see this. In fact, I wish they would do more and go on and do later lines. I've actually only recently taken an interest in G1 specifically (I've been G3 for years), and feel very new to G1, so just being able to pick up new reproductions is simple and nice and I also feel like I'm not taking originals from more serious collectors, if that makes any sense?

I think that's one of the good things about the retros. It levels up the playing field.

I said before, but I've never found Medley or Firefly in the UK, ever, so having them in a store here is awesome. Same with Tickle and Pinwheel. I feel like if it was the reverse and BF were bringing out retro Gypsy and Honeycomb and UK people were saying, "ah, but we had them already, so let's not", there'd be some annoyed people stateside, so it's also relative geographically.

But I also think it's good that people can choose if to buy them and what to buy.

I think the fact so much has been produced is proof that they're not losing popularity at all yet. The trick will be picking where that point comes - and it will.

My sister said to me the other week that she likes being able to buy these because she (although she grew up with G1) only really remembers the 1990s and the earlier ponies she had to play with were mine or second hand from 1990 onwards.

So a lot of the ponies out now are ponies she would love to own but predated her, and weren't sold here so she didn't find them second hand.

I don't see why those people shouldn't have the chance to buy retro versions, but obviously nobody should feel compelled to do it.

As for the chibi thing, I mentioned it in another thread but I have a general malaise regarding Japanese ideas being taken and put through every single filter because it's currently fashionable. I have nothing against chibi overall as a concept, but just that every company suddenly wants to make money out of it and that's annoying.

I'm not much of a fan of fad popular stuff.
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline mlp4me

• Nanu Nanu Orkan Pony
  • Trade Count: (+111)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
  • A Happy Pony Day To You!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2019, 09:12:40 AM »
I'm not much into the chibi style. If it's a pony I like I'll search out the basic fun repro, but I'm not purposefully 'catching them all'. There's no room in my small house for them all, LOL.

G4 customs 4 sale
     Wants: Jamie Dornanvisitors can't see pics , please register or login
Hey, a girl can dream, right?

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • Trade Count: (+131)
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2019, 09:19:39 AM »
I was thinking--
I totally forgot about cutie mark crew. Those are fairly chibi with their proportions (although not g1).

So we do have chibi going on the same time as retro. :) So there's something for everyone.

:: my etsy :: 3DS FC 1735-9876-4867 // SW-8381-5856-2018

Offline Taffeta

• Trade Count: (+62)
  • Colombian Baby Pony
  • UK Pony, Jem and Mediaeval Japanese obsessive :D
    • View Profile
    • The My Little Pony Scrapbook
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2019, 09:29:26 AM »
I was thinking--
I totally forgot about cutie mark crew. Those are fairly chibi with their proportions (although not g1).

So we do have chibi going on the same time as retro. :) So there's something for everyone.

I wonder what a G1 CMC type of pony would look like.

I mean, probably not for me, but since the OP was talking about G1 style chibi stuff, any suggestions on who and how that might work out?
|夏草やつわものどもが夢の跡|

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2019, 09:55:23 AM »
I was thinking--

I mean, probably not for me, but since the OP was talking about G1 style chibi stuff, any suggestions on who and how that might work out?

No not g1.. but more so just I don't think BF ponies would need to go away for there to be chibi g1.

CMC runs along side the main line. ( Same with eqG and the mini eqG).

I think Hasbro dropped the ball on CMC making it show characters only. (Shoulda gone back to what they did for blind bags). My dream line of CMC would include a pool of _all_ ponies from g1~g4.

Online brightberry

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • MOC Mimic
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2019, 10:06:34 AM »
The Basic Fun ponies are awesome.  It means a lot to me to be able to have minty ponies so easily available.  I won’t ever get tired of that.  Even in the US, most sets were only available for a season or two.  And in those days, most people living outside of cities had no way of knowing what was available until they made the long drive to the mall.  Walmart/Target wasn’t everywhere yet.  It was very hit or miss.    And my parents would never waste gas to get toys.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 10:17:31 AM by brightberry »
Sig art by SquarePeg!

Offline Ragamuffin

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Lil Cupcake Sister Pony
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2019, 11:47:37 AM »

You probably mean a chibi G1-styled blind bag toy, but...

Offline Pheasant

• She's a daydreamer
  • Classifieds
  • Trade Count: (+32)
  • Mommy & Baby Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2019, 11:58:38 AM »
Sorry to temporarily de-rail your thread here, but... what are the BF ponies? I've been out of the MLP loop for a while. Are they the Target-exclusive repros?
Mimic on MLPTP

Offline Pumpkin_Tart

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Rainbow Curl Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2019, 12:08:19 PM »
I think it stands for the basic Fun ponies which are basically the retros at target  :)

Offline banditpony

• マイリトルポニー
  • MIB Rapunzel Pony
  • ♥ タカラ ♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2019, 12:12:06 PM »
Sorry to temporarily de-rail your thread here, but... what are the BF ponies? I've been out of the MLP loop for a while. Are they the Target-exclusive repros?

:) Yes, but they aren't target exclusive.

Offline Galactica

• Phoenix Wright Pony
  • Trade Count: (+101)
  • MIB Licensing Show Pinkie Pie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2019, 12:36:18 PM »
I really like them-  I especially love the ones that didn't age well, (like the white ponies) the Nightlight-colored Bow Tie, and the Stranger Things AppleJack-  (such fun variations) - but will admit I did buy a set of the Rainbows just because.

I sure hope they keep the line going- it seems to be popular.

As for what seems to be the OP's concern that the BF ponies could be taking the place of other new products-  I don't think so at all.  Basic Fun is using a MLP license to make the ponies- they don't compete with the customers for Hasbro's current "Friendship is Magic" style ponies.  Hasbro can make whatever it wants with the "current" MLP look. 

In addition to collectors (probably a small percentage) parents and people in their late 30s early 40s are buying the Basic Fun ponies for themselves or their kids (small kids) motivated by nostalgia    ...   we'll see how long the ride lasts.

Offline gemini_pony

• Trade Count: (+38)
  • Rapunzel Pony
  • <3 Pony Time!! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2019, 03:09:56 PM »
Except they're impossible to get in some places...

Also the chibi thing is mainly because I'm absolutely anime trash xD.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 03:11:59 PM by gemini_pony »

Offline Zapper

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Rapunzel Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2019, 03:55:04 PM »
I don't like Cutie Mark Crew and I don't like Basic Fun repros and think they should be replaced with more bootleg carrousels. Think about it. Both lines have been going on for more than one year, so they are overdone by now. Carrousels on the other hand are evergreens.
Who wants to collect small MLP toys when you can't even sit on them? I want to sit on them and go slowly in a cirlce to carneval music. Y'all can have your preferences but the future is merry-go-rounds!

Spoiler
:snicker:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal